[comp.dcom.telecom] New Whizz-Bang Phone!

"J. Philip Miller" <phil@wubios.wustl.edu> (09/14/90)

I just received a flyer (from Mobil) advertsing a phone with features
that I have not seen before.  Besides being a regular answering
machine with speed dialing, it has a voice pattern match dialing - you
speak a name (one of 50 prerecorded) and it then displays the number
on the LCD and dials it.  Other unique features include asking a
caller to key in their phone number and then recording it so either
you can dial it back or it can be used to call your display pager and
display the caller's number.  It also can display the time, date,
phone number and length of call for the last 100 calls.  Too bad it
also doesn't work with caller ID, but it can be yours for only $250!

[There is no manufacturer identified, the text calls the phone
"Voiceprint", the illustration shows the name "Voicephone".]

     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110
	     phil@wubios.WUstl.edu - Internet  (314) 362-3617
uunet!wuarchive!wubios!phil - UUCP (314)362-2693(FAX)  C90562JM@WUVMD - bitnet

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (09/15/90)

In article <12108@accuvax.nwu.edu> phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip
Miller) writes:

>I just received a flyer (from Mobil) advertsing a phone with features
>that I have not seen before.  Besides being a regular answering
>machine with speed dialing, it has a voice pattern match dialing - you
>speak a name (one of 50 prerecorded) and it then displays the number

[ deleted other "features" ]

>[There is no manufacturer identified, the text calls the phone
>"Voiceprint", the illustration shows the name "Voicephone".]

The *very* first thought I had was "will it work for both my wife and
I?". I can see those 50 reduced to 25 by double recordings.  Actually
some mix, she calls different people than I do, but also some of the
same people I do.

My second thought, given I'm sitting in a room with a phone and a
playing stereo and a hard disk drive, was how does it handle ambiant
voices/noise.

*I* don't believe the technology is here yet. I wouldn't mind
you proving me wrong.

Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086
Root@silvlis

dross@cambizola.cs.wisc.edu (Dan Ross) (09/19/90)

There is a similar phone (voice-activated dialing of pre-entered
numbers) in the "Damark" catalog of technological wonders.  I gave my
catalog away, so I don't have the info, but I remember it had an LCD
display, and was available for "substantially below list price".

Dan Ross			dross@cs.wisc.edu	..!uwvax!dross

adams@swbatl.sbc.com (Tom Adams - 235-7459) (09/19/90)

In article <12182@accuvax.nwu.edu> Jim Budler <jimb@silvlis.com>
writes:

>>[There is no manufacturer identified, the text calls the phone
>>"Voiceprint", the illustration shows the name "Voicephone".]

>The *very* first thought I had was "will it work for both my wife and
>I?". I can see those 50 reduced to 25 by double recordings.  Actually
>some mix, she calls different people than I do, but also some of the
>same people I do.

The Voicephone *does* work well, with a wide variety of speakers.  I
don't know about ambient noise, though I can bring one into the
computer room if someone *really* cares.  The Voicephone is sometimes
folled by similar names, but does a good job of distinguishing
distinctive sounds spoken by different people.

uunet!swbatl!adams or adams@swbatl.sbc.com
Tom Adams: 314-235-7459: Southwestern Bell
Telephone Advanced Technology Lab

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George D. Nincehelser) (09/24/90)

In article <12407@accuvax.nwu.edu> adams@swbatl.sbc.com (Tom Adams)
writes:

>The Voicephone *does* work well, with a wide variety of speakers.  I
>don't know about ambient noise, though I can bring one into the
>computer room if someone *really* cares.  The Voicephone is sometimes
>folled by similar names, but does a good job of distinguishing
>distinctive sounds spoken by different people.

The Origin Voicephone 200 that I have doesn't seem to like changes in
ambient noise levels.  After I programmed the phone the first time, a
Summa Four Switch was installed in the general area the Voicephone was
located (the Summa Four sounds a lot like one of those noisy
computers).  The noise caused all kinds of problems.  I re-programmed
the phone from scratch (with the new background noise) and then things
worked OK.  Noise from people watching me demo the phone can also
cause errors.  (Our lab has poor acoustics.)

BTW, it seems to work very well when people use the names that *I*
train the system with.  Other trainers don't have as much luck.  Maybe
I just have a generic voice.

P.S. Tom - Don't you dare take my Voicephone ;-)

George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george
Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544
Advanced Technology Laboratory  \  Fax:  (314) 235-5797
1010 Pine, St. Louis, MO 63101  \  de asini umbra disceptare

dross@cambizola.cs.wisc.edu (Dan Ross) (09/26/90)

somebody writes:

>>>[There is no manufacturer identified, the text calls the phone
>>>"Voiceprint", the illustration shows the name "Voicephone".]

I posted earlier, and went and checked my [given-away] Damark catalog.

The phone in the Damark catalog (which is NOT necessarily the one
originally mentioned) did NOT have an answering machine.  It was a
Southwestern Bell Freedom Phone.  It was $49.95, which is a bunch less
than the Mobil catalog price (especially for just the "fun" part of
the phone).

Dan Ross			dross@cs.wisc.edu