[comp.dcom.telecom] Call-Me Card

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (09/17/90)

An insert in the current Bell Canada phone bill introduces a new
restricted Calling Card, called the Call-Me Card.  Calls made on the
Call-Me Card can be made to one number only, to which (I presume) the
calls are then billed.  In other words, it's automatic collect
calling, but processed like Calling Card calls.  The charge for use is
the same as for Calling Card calls, thus cheaper than collect calls.
It can be used for calls from Canada and the U.S. and "many Caribbean
islands" and through Canada Direct.  Obtaining the card is free.

The examples given of who might want to use this card refer to family
members.  The subtext, not quite stated, is: family members who
couldn't be trusted not to run up your long-distance bill if you gave
them your Calling Card number.

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com

lfd@lcuxlq.att.com (Leland F Derbenwick) (09/20/90)

In article <12290@accuvax.nwu.edu>, msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

> The examples given of who might want to use this card refer to family
> members.  The subtext, not quite stated, is: family members who
> couldn't be trusted not to run up your long-distance bill if you gave
> them your Calling Card number.

Or ones whose roommates can't be trusted not to steal a peek and give
copies to their friends, etc., etc., etc.

This has been available in the U.S. (from AT&T, at least) for a few
years.  (I would imagine that all the long-distance carriers have it
by now.)

  Speaking strictly for myself,

    Lee Derbenwick, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Warren, NJ
    lfd@cbnewsm.ATT.COM  or  <wherever>!att!cbnewsm!lfd

lars@spectrum.cmc.com (Lars Poulsen) (09/21/90)

In article <12290@accuvax.nwu.edu> msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

>An insert in the current Bell Canada phone bill introduces a new
>restricted Calling Card, called the Call-Me Card.

>The examples given of who might want to use this card refer to family
>members.  The subtext, not quite stated, is: family members who
>couldn't be trusted not to run up your long-distance bill if you gave
>them your Calling Card number.

AT&T has been issuing these for a while; several of my friends with
kids at college have been giving these to their kids; it's
colloquially referred to at an "E.T." card (after the little guy who
needed to "phone home").

Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David Tamkin) (09/22/90)

Mark Brader wrote in volume 10, issue 655:

| The examples given of who might want to use this card refer to family
| members.  The subtext, not quite stated, is: family members who
| couldn't be trusted not to run up your long-distance bill if you gave
| them your Calling Card number.

The subtext I gather is this: the Call-Me Card (I've also heard it
named a "Call Home Card" and simply a "restricted calling card") was
implemented for businesses to issue to employees who couldn't be
trusted not to make personal calls on a company telephone credit card;
with the restricted card, the employee could dial only to the
designated receiving number.

With the software in place, there was no overhead other than the
advertising to encourage its use for additional calls home by college
students and the like and thus additional IEC or LEC revenue.

David Tamkin  Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  708 518 6769  312 693 0591
MCI Mail: 426-1818  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570   dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com

Jim Riddle <Jim.Riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org> (09/24/90)

The Call-Me Card has been available in the States for some time.  I
have four of them, one for each of my children who is old enough to
use the phone.  Not only is it usable ONLY to call home, it also
ensures that they won't forget the number to call home (I know that
sounds almost trivial, but there are situations in which anyone can
forget anything).

I told my daughter at college and my daughter on her own miles away
just to respect the hours of billing and try to call daytime as little
as possible.  Since we are almost always around, they can get us
without having to do a collect call or call and call back.

Moreover, the advantage over collect is that we do get Reach Out
America on these calls, as I have ROA applied to my calling card.
Yeah, I could PROBABLY save $7 a month by doing collect calls and
direct-dial backs, and even more if I used a free-message collect call
(see other mail in the journal area) which I personally refuse to do,
but I also find that my kids are more willing to call with the Call
Me.  Remembering how hard it was for my folks to get hold of me at
these ages, I appreciate how much my kids DO call home.

Ybbat (DRBBS) 8.9 v. 3.11 r.4
[1:285/27@fidonet] Neb. Inns of Court 402/593-1192 (1:285/27.0)

  --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
Jim.Riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (09/26/90)

In article <12516@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Jim.Riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org
(Jim Riddle) writes:

> The Call-Me Card has been available in the States for some time.  I
> have four of them, one for each of my children who is old enough to
> use the phone.  Not only is it usable ONLY to call home, it also
> ensures that they won't forget the number to call home (I know that
> sounds almost trivial, but there are situations in which anyone can
> forget anything).

Be careful with the assumptions here ... The call-me card is only
restricted if they happen to call via AT&T.  The AT&T card is accepted
by numerous other LD carriers, but they impose no restrictions on its
use, and it can be used to call anywhere.

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857

[Moderator's Note: But my assumption is if you received a bill from
some OCC -- probably as part of your regular telco bill -- you would
just automatically refuse payment for that portion, citing the
restricted nature of the media used for billing, and the failure of
the OCC to verify it before accepting it.  PAT]