[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machine OGM = Telco Message?

Dave Levenson <dave@westmark.westmark.com> (09/21/90)

A friend in Morristown, NJ went away for a couple of weeks.  His
number was 267-1234 (actual number changed to protect...).  He didn't
want a ring-no-answer situation for two weeks, and didn't happen to
have an answering machine at the time.  He used call- forwarding.

He forwarded his calls to 263-1234 (note the similarity to his own
number) in nearby Boonton, NJ.  That number was not in service at the
time.

Callers who dialed 267-1234 got a SIT followed by "The number you have
dialed, 263-1234, is not in service."  This probably gave many callers
the impression that they had mis-dialed the third digit.  Someone
called NJ Bell repair service.  They investigated, and then canceled
call-forwarding on my friend's line.  When he returned home and found
that callers were reaching ring-no-answer, he complained to NJ Bell.

In the end, they wrote him a letter appologizing for having cancelled
his call-forwarding, and promising never to do it again!  They never
claimed that he was not within his rights in forwarding his calls to a
non-working number.  He has since forwarded his calls to
permanently-busy test numbers on such occasions.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900 Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			Internet: dave@westmark.com
AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David Tamkin) (09/23/90)

Dave Levenson wrote in Volume 10, Issue 668:

| A friend in Morristown, NJ went away for a couple of weeks.  His
| number was 267-1234.

| He forwarded his calls to 263-1234  in nearby Boonton, NJ.  That number
| was not in service at the time.

| Callers who dialed 267-1234 got a SIT followed by "The number you have
| dialed, 263-1234, is not in service."  Someone
| called NJ Bell repair service.  They investigated, and then canceled
| call-forwarding on my friend's line.

| In the end, they wrote him a letter appologizing for having cancelled
| his call-forwarding, and promising never to do it again!

To say that NJ Bell "canceled" your friend's call forwarding is
ambiguous.  Dave, do you mean that they did a 73# equivalent on his
line to shut Call Forwarding off or do you mean that they removed the
Call Forwarding feature from his account?

I'm not trying to be picky here; I want to know just how far the telco
went in stepping on a customer's own decisions.

David Tamkin  Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  708 518 6769  312 693 0591
MCI Mail: 426-1818  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570   dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (09/26/90)

In article <12533@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David
Tamkin) writes:

> Dave Levenson wrote in Volume 10, Issue 668:

[ regarding my friend in Morristown NJ who forwarded his calls to a
telco-provided SIT and recording ]

> To say that NJ Bell "canceled" your friend's call forwarding is
> ambiguous.  Dave, do you mean that they did a 73# equivalent on his
> line to shut Call Forwarding off or do you mean that they removed the
> Call Forwarding feature from his account?

Sorry!  I didn't mean to be ambiguous here.  NJ Bell performed the 73#
equivalent, and un-forwarded my friend's line until he was able to
return home.  Call forwarding service was never removed from his
account.

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857