[comp.dcom.telecom] A Description of 976 Numbers

Mark Brader <msb@sq.com> (09/23/90)

I received a response from Australia to my recent posting relating to
Bell Canada's new restriction on 976-numbers:

> Could you please tell me what a 976 number is, and what do you have
> against them?  Perhaps you could post the answer to the digest for
> the benefit of other non-N.American readers.

Okay, for the benefit of non-North-American readers:

976-numbers are operated by businesses that you do business with
simply by calling their phone number.  When you connect to a 976
number, a fee (payable to the business operating the number) is
automatically charged on your phone bill.  This is in addition to any
regular phone company charges for reaching the number.

976-numbers look like ordinary (7-digit) phone numbers that just
happen to begin with the three digits 976: for example, 976-1234.  The
reason for the use of those particular numbers, like other "why that
number?" questions in North America, seems to go back to the days when
phone numbers began with letters, using the equivalence 2=ABC 3=DEF
4=GHI 5=JKL 6=MNO 7=PRS 8=TUV 9=WXY.  Not a lot of words start with
the letter combinations for 97, so those numbers were generally
available.

(I don't know if there were ever, say, WRight numbers, or if 97 was
always reserved.  Anyone know?  I might ask the same question about
55, which is similarly reserved for special purposes.  In movies and
TV shows, 555-numbers are often used so as to not coincide with any
real numbers, and the scriptwriters noted long ago that KLondike was
55; were there ever any real KLondikes?)

Now, in some parts of North America, there is a clear distinction
between local calls (which are free or cheap) and long-distance calls
(which cost more), and this distinction does not follow area code
boundaries.  In some areas they are dialed in different ways so that
you can't incur a long-distance charge by accident.  (This distinction
in dialing is doomed over the coming years, for reasons related to the
exhaustion of available numbers.)

In the Bell Canada service area (i.e. most of Ontario and Quebec plus
some of the Northwest Terrritories), there is such a distinction in
dialing, and calls to 976-numbers are always dialed as long distance.
This remains true even though actual long-distance calls to
976-numbers are now to be blocked.

There is a second flavor of number that works the same way; these are
900-numbers.  They are dialable from a wider area than 976-numbers,
and in this case the 900 replaces the area code, e.g., 900-333-1234.

The world, or at least North America, got by just fine until a few
years ago without these numbers; their creation seems to have merely
opened up a new niche for sleazy businesses, in particular, the sort
who want to trick people into paying their charges.  (All you have to
do is make a phone call, right?)  The advertisements that I see around
here for them tend to be pathetic come-ons for dating and "talk"
services.  Another thing I've heard of them being used for, although
not locally, is information-by-telephone services that formerly were
free.  It is for these reasons that I find myself feeling that we
would be better off without these numbers at all.

I understand that several other countries have the same concept, for
example, Britain's 0898-numbers are similar to our 900's, but I've
never heard of a simple name for it.  Is there one?  Do other
countries have two flavors like our 976 (local) and 900 (callable from
wide area)?

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com

david@uunet.uu.net (David E A Wilson) (09/25/90)

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

>I understand that several other countries have the same concept, for
>example, Britain's 0898-numbers are similar to our 900's, but I've
>never heard of a simple name for it.  Is there one?  Do other
>countries have two flavors like our 976 (local) and 900 (callable from
>wide area)?

Here in Australia we have three flavours which all go under the name
"0055 - Information on the Double" or "Recorded Information Services".

The three types are:
						Cost per minute
						Day	Night	Economy
Metrowide (capital cities only)	0055 x9xxx	33c	22c	13c
Statewide (intrastate only)	0055 x5xxx	39c	26c	15c
Austwide 			0055 xyxxx	57c	38c	23c
				y = 0-4,8

Provided you are on a modern exchange, 0055 calls will be a separate
item on your bill.

In addition, Dial-it Services (usually numbers of the form 11xxx) are
charged at normal local call rates or STD rates if you dial another
area code to get them.

David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong	david@cs.uow.edu.au

johns@scroff.uk.sun.com (John Slater) (09/26/90)

In article <12510@accuvax.nwu.edu>, msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) writes:

|> I understand that several other countries have the same concept, for
|> example, Britain's 0898-numbers are similar to our 900's, but I've
|> never heard of a simple name for it.  Is there one?

Yes. BT now call these "Callstream" services. I think this name is
relatively new. I presume their marketing people decided it would be a
good idea to have a name to sell.

Everyone else calls them "0898 numbers". Can't think why.  :-)

BTW, they carry a fixed charge of 44p/minute peak, 33p off-peak,
unlike 900 numbers where the charge is variable (to say the least).

John Slater
Sun Microsystems UK, Gatwick Office