[comp.dcom.telecom] Burglar Alarm Problems

Nigel Allen <ndallen@contact.uucp> (09/23/90)

Walter Kemmerer describes receiving strange calls at five-minute
intervals that turned out to originate from a fried alarm system.

It is probably a bad idea to rely upon an alarm system that calls 911
itself. In Toronto, the police will not respond to computer-generated
emergency calls because if the large number of false alarms.

If you want a burglar alarm system, you should probably consider
having one installed by a reputable contractor and monitored by a
reputable security company. When an alarm comes in, the security
company calls 911.

Security is more than just alarms, of course. Your local police
department can offer advice on making your house less attractive to
burglars (good locks everywhere, lights above all entrance-ways,
Neighborhood Watch programs, etc.).  If you run a BBS and ask new
users to request validation in writing or to send you a financial
contribution, consider using a post office box so that your address is
not widely known.

pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) (09/26/90)

In article <12479@accuvax.nwu.edu> ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen)
writes:

>Walter Kemmerer describes receiving strange calls at five-minute
>intervals that turned out to originate from a fried alarm system.

>It is probably a bad idea to rely upon an alarm system that calls 911
>itself. In Toronto, the police will not respond to computer-generated
>emergency calls because of the large number of false alarms.

As I recall the announcement a couple of years ago, they announced
that they would stop responding after a certain number of false
alarms, something like two in a one-year interval, not that they
wouldn't respond at all.

Paul
  pacolley@violet.waterloo.edu or .ca

[Moderator's Note: In Chicago, the Fire Department continues to
respond to each automatic fire alarm -- false or not. However they
send bills to companies which generate 'frequent' false alarms, to the
tune of $550-575 per thirty minutes of service: responding,
investigating and returning to Quarters. An expensive lesson, eh?
Likewise, the police respond to automatic alarms. Our city officials
said they have no intention of jeopardizing a citizen actually in
distress because of a history of malfunctioning alarms at the same
location. Instead, the offending alarm owner is sued or fined by the
city after the second or third time around.  PAT]

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (09/27/90)

Moderator writes:

>Our [Chicago] city officials
>said they have no intention of jeopardizing a citizen actually in
>distress because of a history of malfunctioning alarms at the same
>location. Instead, the offending alarm owner is sued or fined by the
>city after the second or third time around.

So no redlining here?  Apparently, in areas which are redlined for a
history of phone (credit card?) abuse, it is harder to identify who is
committing the fraud.

[Moderator's Note: You are correct. No redlining by the City of
Chicago where false alarms are concerned. *Nor should AT&T be
permitted to do it.* Maybe they will get sued to make them stop
redlining. Instead of punishing the whole community, punish the guilty
persons. Imagine the confusion AT&T's policy must cause for the
unsophisticated but legitimate user of their 'Universal Card' --
universal that is except for calls to several countries from several
neighborhoods they (AT&T) don't like doing business in.  PAT]