[comp.dcom.telecom] Itemised Bills - An Australian Followup

david@uunet.uu.net> (09/22/90)

A few months ago I mentioned that Telecom/OTC were now providing IDD
itemised bills to customers on new exchanges. My quarterly phone bill
arrived with my first itemised IDD call:

Date	Time	Place		Number		Min:Sec	$
19 Jul	11:06pm	USA Rhode Is	1401863xxxx	1:59	2.42	[my xxxx's]

So on a sample of one I guess OTC at least decodes the country and
area code to get the place.

As for Trunk call itemisation, metropolitan residential customers will
start getting it in November, 1990 and all should have it by 1994.
Country residential customers should have it by 1997. This should give
us one of the most missed features of the US phone system.

We don't have COCOTs - although businesses can rent Telecom Gold
Phones and get the difference between the 22c charged to subscribers
and the 30c charged to pay phone users (per call unit).

Telecom are going to introduce pre-purchase phone cards (looks similar
to the Japanese variety - punches a hole to show the remaining value
of the card).  They hope this will reduce vandalism by reducing the
coins held in the phone.

David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong    david@cs.uow.edu.au

U5434122@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (09/26/90)

In article <12478@accuvax.nwu.edu>, munnari!cs.uow.edu.au!david@
uunet.uu.net (David E A Wilson) writes:

> A few months ago I mentioned that Telecom/OTC were now providing IDD
> itemised bills to customers on new exchanges. My quarterly phone bill
> arrived with my first itemised IDD call:

> Date	Time	Place		Number		Min:Sec	$
> 19 Jul	11:06pm	USA Rhode Is	1401863xxxx	1:59	2.42 [my xx's]

> So on a sample of one I guess OTC at least decodes the country and
> area code to get the place.

OTC is kind enough to give the state or province for calls to North
America, but calls to London (4471+7D) are listed as 'United Kingdom',
just the same as calls to Glasgow (4441+7D).  I don't think it would
have been much effort to add major UK cities with area codes of the
form (0N1), but they did not bother.  Odd, considering that the UK is
in the top three destinations for Australian international calls.

It should be noted that while automatic itemisation of IDD calls is
now provided to everyone, it was available on request to many
subscribers before this.

> As for Trunk call itemisation, metropolitan residential customers will
> start getting it in November, 1990 and all should have it by 1994.
> Country residential customers should have it by 1997. This should give
> us one of the most missed features of the US phone system.

LD itemisation is also a feature available on request, depending on
the local exchange (CO) equipment.  The new AXE exchanges and the
older ARE and ARF switches can itemise, but the old SxS monsters
can't.

I am on an AXE exchange and I have had LD itemisation for 18 months.
My only beef is that TA (Telecom Australia) charges 6c per call for
the itemisation, to a maximum of $5.00 per quarter.

1994 is the target for fully digital service in metropolitan
Australia.

TA seems to have a policy of witholding services from everyone if not
everyone can have it.  For example, Call Forwarding costs $480 /year
for a rack mounted device to be installed, so that subscribers on SxS
exchanges can also use it, Call Forwarding on an AXE exchange would
cost TA nothing, but they still charge the $480.

At least they allow me to have call waiting, conference and a crippled
call forwarding.

My call forwarding is crippled because I can only forward to exchanges
in the same group as my own, ie I can't use an intergroup trunk for
the forwarded call.  At least I only pay $17 a year and no call
charges for the forwarded calls.

> We don't have COCOTs - although businesses can rent Telecom Gold
> Phones and get the difference between the 22c charged to subscribers
> and the 30c charged to pay phone users (per call unit).

Correction needed here.  A Gold Phone *is* a COCOT, but a regulated
one.  The old Redphone was leased from TA, but the replacement
GoldPhone was available by purchase only from its introduction in
1983.  Back then it cost $1300.  Probably $2000 now.  The owner of the
GoldPhone has no say in the charge for using the phone.

TA has also released a Bluephone COCOT which is a small low security
phone for use in restaurants etc.

> Telecom are going to introduce pre-purchase phone cards (looks similar
> to the Japanese variety - punches a hole to show the remaining value
> of the card).  They hope this will reduce vandalism by reducing the
> coins held in the phone.

These are currently on trial in Geelong, Victoria.  They claim that
they are better than the European variety, but I could not get any
real evidence out of the rep to back the claim.

There are also EFTPOS telephones which accept ATM cards, and debit
your savings account.  These were developed as a joint venture with
ANZ bank, and they are connected directly to that bank's computer,
even for cards issued by other banks.

Danny

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (09/27/90)

This reply is to a message from U5434122@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au:

You write of "withholding services from everyone if not everyone can
have it".  In the U.S., direct-dialed international calling was (is?)
not available everywhere, and if you cannot dial direct because of
your exchange not being equipped for international dialing, you still
get the direct-dial rate unless your call requires any other operator
assistance.