[comp.dcom.telecom] 16 Buttons -- Not 12?

webster@romulus.rutgers.edu (John Clayton Webster) (09/24/90)

An odd thought sprang upon me recently while talking to a friend.  Do
telephones actually use sixteen tones rather than just twelve normally
available?  I apologise if this has been brought up before, I just
found this group.

Clay Webster

[Moderator's Note: Actually, the topic has come up frequently. Yes,
telephones have sixteen tone combinations available. The four you do
not normally see on your dial are frequently known as A,B,C, and D.
They have a very limited application at this time. Perhaps some
readers will be so kind as to send you recent messages from the Digest
discussing these tones and their application.  PAT]

brent@uunet.uu.net (Brent Capps) (09/27/90)

> An odd thought sprang upon me recently while talking to a friend.  Do
> telephones actually use sixteen tones rather than just twelve normally
> available?

The extra tones are used in the AUTOVON/SCOPEDIAL system for
precedence dialling.  The only phone I've ever seen that uses them is
a very peculiar device known as a "4-wire set".  A 4W set is
essentially a trunk-line combination that consists of a trunk with a
special phone set terminating one end, and is used by the military to
run direct connections from AUTOVON COs out to missle silos in the
middle of God-knows-where.  4W sets use all 16 keys.  The numeric keys
and the * key are the same as on a 2500 set, but the # key is called
A, and the right-hand row of keys are called (top to bottom) FO, F, I,
and P.

These keys are used for precedence dialling: A stands for Automatic
(lowest), P for Priority, I for Immediate, F for Flash, and FO for
Flash Override (the highest precedence level).  The highest allowed
precedence level associated with a particular set is datafilled at the
CO; there are only a handful of FO 4W sets in the country.  4W sets
are extremely strange beasts; their charms include off-hook ringing
(the phone can physically ring while you are off-hook talking to
someone else).  This can be somewhat disconcerting to the uninitiated.

4W sets are a pain to design CO software for, mainly because of their
hybrid nature (ever try to apply staggered dialtone to a trunk?  It's
not easy) and since there is little that a 4W set can do that a normal
2W set cannot, the CO mfgs have been pushing the military to phase
them out.

Brent Capps

cloutier@uunet.uu.net (Mark Cloutier) (09/27/90)

In article <12659@accuvax.nwu.edu> kentrox!ktxc5!brent@uunet.uu.net
(Brent Capps) writes:

>> An odd thought sprang upon me recently while talking to a friend.  Do
>> telephones actually use sixteen tones rather than just twelve normally
>> available?

These 4*4 phones are more popular in Europe, the application I heard
of was to use the extra four keys as speed dial keys. This was in a PBX
environment.

bill@toto.info.com (Bill Cerny) (09/28/90)

In article kentrox!ktxc5!brent@uunet.uu.net (Brent Capps) writes:

>and since there is little that a 4W set can do that a normal
>2W set cannot, the CO mfgs have been pushing the military to phase
>them out.

The base operator also has plug access to AUTOVON (now DSN?) trunks
grouped by precedence.  If you tire of reaching reorder when dialing
'8' for routine AUTOVON, you call the operator and provide the
authorization code for the precedence (P, I, F) and destination
(CONUS, Overseas), to which she usually replies, "I'm sorry sir, there
are no circuits available at this time."  :-(

In San Diego, things are a little better now.  The old 1ESS AUTOVON
switch is now a 5ESS, and all the Navy base step switches have been
replaced by AT&T Sys 75 and 85 PBX's (are any slated for upgrade to
Definity Generic 1 or 2?).  Apparently, the 4-wire desk sets have been
replaced by regular 2500 (or 74xx, or STU III) sets.  You select
AUTOVON precedence with the trunk code (80 for routine, 81 for
priority); provided your station has the class of service mark to
access that precedence (otherwise it's back to authorization codes and
the operator).  I accessed a routine AUTOVON trunk from a peon
station, and pressed 'P', to which the AUTOVON switch announced "You
may not access that precedence..."

The AT&T PBX provides the proper ringing for incoming AUTOVON calls:
routine precedence gives the normal double ring for "outside call",
while priority (and above) gives a triple ring for "priority call."

Bill Cerny bill@toto.info.com | attmail: !denwa!bill