[comp.dcom.telecom] Answering Machine as Room Bug

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 10-Sep-1990 1123) (09/10/90)

 From: Dale Neiberg
      Washington, DC
      202 822 2402 (Work)

In TELECOM Digest, vol 10, issue 588, Tom Neff writes about his
experience with a Panasonic KX-T1470 answering machine:

>I turned on the shortwave receiver in my apartment this morning and
>was flipping past the 5-6 MHz neighborhood when I distinctly a voice
>coming from the speaker.  It was my friend in the other room!

>     [process of identifying the culprit deleted]

>Is everyone with a Panasonic answering machine bugging himself?

The following is reprinted from _Monitoring_Times_ for September 1990,
page 101:

"Check this one out.  According to a reader in California, there is a
way to tune in _wired_ telephones on your shortwave radio.  This
reader says that he was talking to a friend on his new AT&T model 612
programmable telephone when he happened to switch on his shortwave
receiver.  There, to his horror, was his voice -- loud and clear!

"The signals reappeared every few kilohertz from 4.5 to 8.8 MHz, but
was particularly strong in the 6 to 7 Hz [_sic_] range.  Apparently
his voice was modulating the time base oscillator of the
microprocessor in the telephone!

"Has Ma Bell inadvertently planted bugs in homes and offices around
the country?  Let us know if you have been hearing strange voices on
your radio!"

(End of excerpt)

Dale

nagle@uunet.uu.net (John Nagle) (09/13/90)

      The whole area of consumer products with built-in bugging
potential is getting out of hand.  It might be worth raising this
issue with the FCC, which to a limited extent regulates telephone
instruments.  They could at least insist on a labelling requirement.

      So far, I know of the following devices which have bugging
potential:

	Baby monitors
	Cordless phones
	Some Rolm PBX phones
	Some AT&T ISDN phones

Any more?

John Nagle

wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu (Mark Wilkins) (09/18/90)

This is a little different than the problem being dealt with in the
earlier thread, but an associate had a very strange experience and I
was curious if anyone had any idea how it could come about.

This individual, who wants to remain anonymous for obvious reasons,
received an extremely odd call on her answering machine at home.  A
rather mercenary discussion between two college students was recorded,
in which they described such matters as exchanging various social
favors in return for finding each other jobs.

In particular, one of them said something like "She told me I couldn't
have another part-time job at the same time if I wanted this one.  I
was thinking I could recommend you..."

  "Great,"  said the other.

  "If I do it," said the first, "will you buy me clothes, and take me
out to dinner?"

  At first, she just assumed this was crosstalk of some particularly
nasty kind, although the voices were much more clear than they often
are when crosstalk is a problem.

  However, the next day a person she'd been interviewing for a job
came in and said that he was unavailable, but he knew the perfect
person.  Instantly, everything clicked.  He had been the one whose
conversation was recorded on the phone.  Apparently he had a
sophistcated auto-dial speaker phone, either with more than one line
or with three-way calling.

  The question I have is this: Does anyone know of a way that someone
inexperienced with such matters could accidentally set up a three-way
call?  Or did this have to be intentional?  Ignore, for the moment,
the possibility of a strange switching error.  Specifically, do many
types of production phone equipment have bugs which could cause this
sort of thing?

  As it turns out, the position was not funded by higher-ups and
therefore nobody got the job.  However, it is good to know that things
like this can happen, I think, because such accidents could cause
significant damage.

Mark Wilkins
wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

garif@cmcl2.nyu.edu (Talking Head) (09/21/90)

wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>This individual, who wants to remain anonymous for obvious reasons,
>received an extremely odd call on her answering machine at home.

I get these on my office answering machines quite often.

The conversations that I overhear usually concern me or my data
centers.  Eighty percent of the time its interesting in a negative
sort of way.

>The question I have is this: Does anyone know of a way that someone
>inexperienced with such matters could accidentally set up a three-way
>call?  Or did this have to be intentional?  Ignore, for the moment,
>the possibility of a strange switching error.  Specifically, do many
>types of production phone equipment have bugs which could cause this
>sort of thing?

Sure, quite a few people who call me use either a) antiquated AT&T
PBXs with three-way calling or b) brand new systems that are set to
the wrong PBX selector.  When they call me with three-way, i.e. when
they're talking to someone and want to bridge me in, my answering
machine will answer and normally they will either hang up or leave a
message and then hang up.  The trick is this: with the old AT&T PBX
the flash is signalled by going onhook then offhook in a short
interval; this causes the PBX to hang up the third call and lets the
primary continue hir call with the original called party. (with the
new switches, the flash will not work properly if the PBX selector is
set incorrectly) Sometimes, the PBX will not hang up the call and you
will continue to talk to the third party...

Next time you initiate a third way call and get an answering machine,
be sure your third party is properly disconnected, else hir answering
machine may confer your conversation at a later time.

>As it turns out, the position was not funded by higher-ups and
>therefore nobody got the job.  However, it is good to know that things
>like this can happen, I think, because such accidents could cause
>significant damage.

Damage?  That depends on to whom.  I'm usually quite entertained when
individuals who work for me call and say they can't do something or be
somewhere then promptly inform someone that I am a gullible fool.  A
better example: someone was trying to sell me a very expensive car; he
called me and left a message stating that he couldn't do better than
$NNN,NNN; then he goes on to tell some lady (turns out to be his
ex-wife) that the car was as good as sold and that I would never try
to negotiate a price that would even get near the $NN,NNN that they
paid for it two years hence.  Well, you can imagine that I didn't
quite pay what HE was asking and instead negotiated with HER and got a
Big Cash Savings.  The Bell System at work.  You just have to make it
work for you.

Forgive me if I've rambled.  I'm a bit surprised people haven't caught
on to this neat little phenom yet.  I "use" it all the time.

Lee Chen
garif@nyu.edu

FREE0612@uiucvmd (David Lemson) (09/21/90)

In a message of 18 Sep 90 05:54:28, Mark Wilkins <wilkins@jarthur.
claremont.edu> writes:

>In particular, one of them said something like "She told me I couldn't
>have another part-time job at the same time if I wanted this one.  I
>was thinking I could recommend you..."

 [Details of conversation deleted]

> The question I have is this: Does anyone know of a way that someone
>inexperienced with such matters could accidentally set up a three-way
>call?  Or did this have to be intentional?

>Ignore, for the moment, the possibility of a strange switching error.
>Specifically, do many types of production phone equipment have bugs
>which could cause this sort of thing?

Here's my scenario for how this happened:

For simplicity, your friend is person A.  Person A is the person with
the answering machine.  The guy who knew your friend and knew there
was a job opening is person B.  Person B has three-way calling, maybe
doesn't even know it.  Regardless, he isn't an expert in its use (as
are most people who have it).  Person C is person B's friend, who is
about to be sold a job.

Person B called your friend to find out some details about the job.
He reached Person A's answering machine.  Dismayed, he clicked the
receiver down for a millisecond, and dialed up Person C at the dial
tone.  What he didn't hear was that when he clicked down the receiver,
he merely flashed and got the dit-dit-dit-duuuuh of a three-way
calling alternate dial tone.  He called person C, connected, spoke for
a minute, and ... here's where it gets iffy. Person B must have
accidentally either hit the "flash" button or the switchhook for a
second, because he clicked over to three-way calling.  Before he did
this, Person A's answering machine could not hear the conversation
between men, but after this second click, all three were linked
together.  The rest is on cassette.

The moral of the story is: Don't ever use "Flash" to hang up, unless
you really mean to!  You might have three-way calling even if you
don't know about it!  If you hang up, count to five, and then dial,
you should be safe.

One other thing: The guy must have dialed his friend really fast.
Because, unless your friend's answering machine is really old, it
should have timed out when it didn't hear anyone on the line for more
than ten seconds or so. (While the guy was in the alternate dial tone
dialing up his friend, your friend's answering machine should have
heard silence)

David Lemson  d-lemson@uiuc.edu

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (09/21/90)

In article <12341@accuvax.nwu.edu>, wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu
(Mark Wilkins) writes:

> This individual, who wants to remain anonymous for obvious reasons,
> received an extremely odd call on her answering machine at home.  A
> rather mercenary discussion between two college students was recorded,
> in which they described such matters as exchanging various social
> favors in return for finding each other jobs.

[What followed was a description of an answering machine's having
recorded a conversation between two parties, neither of whom was the
owner of the answering machine, but they conversed about the owner.]

I think I can explain how the recording came to be made.  One of the
parties had called the owner of the answering machine, and reached the
machine.  The caller, having decided not to leave a message, hung up
for a moment, and then called the other party.  The caller, however,
was calling from a line with three-way calling, or from behind a PBX
with three-way calling.  The hang-up was not long enough to disconnect
the call, but resulted in a transfer dialtone.  The caller then dialed
the other party.  At this point, we have a consultation call.  The
caller is conversing with the second party, while the answering
machine is on hold.  The caller, perhaps thinking it was taking too
long to connect with the called party, hangs up again, picks up to
re-dial, but hears the far end answer.  At this point, we have a
conference call involving the two parties and the answering machine.
By now, the machine has finished its announcement, and is recording a
message -- the conversation between the other parties.

I have come upon this scenario before, while attempting to debug what
was originally reported as a faulty voice-mail system.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			Internet: dave@westmark.com
[The Man in the Mooney]		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

Norman R Tiedemann <normt@ihlpy.att.com> (09/22/90)

(Mark Wilkins) writes:

>This individual received an extremely odd call on her answering
>machine at home. At first, she just assumed this was crosstalk of
>some particularly nasty kind, although the voices were much clearer
>than when crosstalk is a problem.

>However, the next day a person she'd been interviewing for a job came in.
>Instantly, everything clicked.  He had been the one whose conversation was
>recorded on the phone.  Apparently he had a sophistcated auto-dial speaker
>phone, either with more than one line or with three-way callbing.

>The question I have is this: Does anyone know of a way that someone
>inexperienced with such matters could accidentally set up a
>three-way call? Or did this have to be intentional?

This is not that odd, I have gotten this on my machine a couple of
times and I now know exactly what causes it here. The person who was
recorded just has to have three way calling on his line and it is a very
easy thing to do completely ACCIDENTALLY!

He calls you, (to schedule the appointment or whatever), gets your
machine and decides he doesn't want to leave a message. He taps the
switch hook, which instead of hanging up, gives him the second line,
the CO on your end doesn't even detect the disconnect and keeps your
machine connected (and recording). He now has a threeway setup between
your machine, himself and the next person he called. Everything is
recorded and unless your machine has a beep or time limit or something
on it, he never knows. (I guess he would really get confused if he
tried to three way again.)

So it is fairly easy for an inexperienced "phone user" to do this and
not have a clue about what is going on.

	Norm Tiedemann		AT&T Bell Labs IH 2G-419
	att!ihlpy!normt		2000 Naperville Rd.
	normt@ihlpy.att.com	Naperville, IL	60566

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (09/22/90)

We have had similar problems with a voice mail system we were
evaluating here at Datalogics.

We have over 100 phones on Centrex, with some third party call
direction equipment for the receptionist, and a setup that connects
you to the paging loudspeakers if you dial 8 from any phone.

People would try to make intraoffice calls. After four rings, they
would figure the person wasn't at his desk, so they'd flash the
switchhook, dial 8, and announce "XYZ please call 3NNN" or somesuch.
Immediately afterward, the voicemail system would ask the entire
company if they would want to leave a message via the loudspeakers.

You see, the "dial 8" is just another extension, and the switchhook
flash had the effect of transferring the voicemail system to the
paging extension.  When the paging system "answered," the voicemail
would announce. After about a month of listening to this, we decided
against the voicemail system.  It turns out that people would rather
leave computer mail instead.

Now, we only have to smirk at the occasional accidental connection of
the operator to the paging system.

Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP
441 W. Huron                     UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!kam
Chicago, IL  60610               FAX: (312) 266-4473

"Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR" <allbery@ncoast.org> (09/24/90)

As quoted from <12430@accuvax.nwu.edu> by Norman R Tiedemann
<normt@ihlpy.att.com>:

| In article <12341@accuvax.nwu.edu>, wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu
| (Mark Wilkins) writes:

| >The question I have is this: Does anyone know of a way that someone
| >inexperienced with such matters could accidentally set up a
| >three-way call? Or did this have to be intentional?

| He calls you, (to schedule the appointment or whatever), gets your
| machine and decides he doesn't want to leave a message. He taps the
| switch hook, which instead of hanging up, gives him the second line,
| the CO on your end doesn't even detect the disconnect and keeps your
| machine connected (and recording). He now has a threeway setup between
| your machine, himself and the next person he called. Everything is

I had the younger brother to this problem for a while.  When I moved
into the apartment I currently live in, the local CO had an older
version of the custom calling package; for example, they had call
waiting but no way to turn it off.  Until they upgraded, I could not
simply flash the switch-hook to hang up, despite the fact that I had
*only* call waiting, none of the other features.  I got into the habit
of holding the switch-hook down for a count of five before dialing
another number.  I think the problem is gone now, since the CO has
upgraded to support *70 (1170), etc., but since I still use the count-
of-five approach, I don't know for certain.  I also got into the habit
of making sure I had dial tone before doing anything else.

Until I got wise and changed my ways, a caller (or callee) might have
gotten a bit of a surprise just after I supposedly hung up.  (Not that
this happened often; much more often was that I'd continue to get the
busy signal I'd gotten the first time I tried to dial out.)

Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN
America OnLine: KB8JRR			    AMPR: KB8JRR.AmPR.ORG [44.70.4.88]
uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery    Delphi: ALLBERY

U5434122@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (09/28/90)

In article <12430@accuvax.nwu.edu>, normt@ihlpy.att.com (Norman R
Tiedemann) writes:

> In article <12341@accuvax.nwu.edu>, wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu
> (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>>However, the next day a person she'd been interviewing for a job came in.
>>Instantly, everything clicked.  He had been the one whose conversation was
>>recorded on the phone.  Apparently he had a sophistcated auto-dial speaker
>>phone, either with more than one line or with three-way callbing.

> He calls you, (to schedule the appointment or whatever), gets your
> machine and decides he doesn't want to leave a message. He taps the
> switch hook, which instead of hanging up, gives him the second line,
> the CO on your end doesn't even detect the disconnect and keeps your
> machine connected (and recording). He now has a threeway setup between
> your machine, himself and the next person he called. Everything is

In Australia three-way calling and enquiry call are the same function.
To make a call while in the middle of another, you <Flash> and dial.
You are then connected to that party in an enquiry call.  If you hang
up, your phone will ring with the person you left on hold, or, you can
initiate three-way conversation with <flash>3.  Every 15 seconds a
beep will let all parties know that there are three people connected,
to avoid eavesdropping, supposedly.

It is possible to use <flash>2 repeatedly to flip between calls
without connecting them, or to separate them after three-way has been
initiated, and <flash>1 is used to hang up on the person you last
spoke to and connect you with whoever is left.

 From my reading of Norman's comments, three way calling in the USA is
initiated by the CO after answer supervision of the second dialled
number.  Is this the way things *do* work?  Can you have enquiry
without conference?

Curious...

Danny