[comp.dcom.telecom] Distinctive-Ring Based Call Distributor

bapat@uunet.uu.net (Subodh Bapat) (09/10/90)

I seem to recall a request posted here a couple of months ago asking
whether there was any such beast as a call distribution device (for
the home) based on Distinctive Ringing Service offered by the LECs
(variously sold as RingMaster, SmartRing, RingMate around the country,
in which multiple numbers mapped to the same line generate different
ring patterns). Well, here are excerpts from a recent article
describing just such a device.

Begin quote....

Fone Filter is a hand-sized, circuit-filled plastic box that, when
connected to your telephone line, automatically routes voice calls to
your telephone, fax calls to your fax machine and computer calls to
your computer. A different ring pattern is assigned to each device.
When it hears a certain ring, Fone Filter connects the appropriate
device.

Fone Filter has other uses in connection with personalized rings.  By
hooking it up to your answering machine, it helps you block certain
calls while answering others.

Fone Filter is available from South Tech Instruments, Inc., at
800-999-3237.  It costs $79.95. It saves $30 a month in residential
line fees ($68 a month in business line fees) by utilizing a single
telephone line instead of three.  The only additional outlays are
about $10 a month for three personalized rings (about $17 a month for
businesses) and about $3 a month for call waiting, in case, for
example, you wanted to put someone on hold while you received a fax.

End quote....

(I have no affiliation with South Tech.)

Subodh Bapat              bapat@rm1.uu.net     OR           ...uunet!rm1!bapat
MS E-204, PO Box 407044,  Racal-Milgo, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33340  (305) 846-6068

limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Hui Lin Lim) (09/13/90)

> I seem to recall a request posted here a couple of months ago asking
> whether there was any such beast as a call distribution device (for
> the home) based on Distinctive Ringing Service offered by the LECs
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Could anyone elaborate on how this service is provided?  Does it
require an ISDN switch etc?

Thanks,

HuiLin Lim      HP Singapore     limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com

JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet (09/23/90)

> I seem to recall a request posted here a couple of months ago asking
> whether there was any such beast as a call distribution device (for
> the home) based on Distinctive Ringing Service offered by the LECs
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> (variously sold as RingMaster, SmartRing, RingMate around the country,
> in which multiple numbers mapped to the same line generate different
> ring patterns). Well, here are excerpts from a recent article
> describing just such a device.

I called my LEC (Pactel) and was informed by the representative that
they do not provide this service, at least in this area (Anaheim,
Orange County, California). She did say that GTE did support it,
however.

I would appreciate any information to the contrary, i.e. how to
educate the reps to exactly what I'm talking about.

Jeff Sicherman
jajz801@calstate.bitnet

Hui Lin Lim <limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com> (09/23/90)

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (09/24/90)

In article <12503@accuvax.nwu.edu>, limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Hui Lin
Lim) writes:

> > (variously sold as RingMaster, SmartRing, RingMate around the country,
> > in which multiple numbers mapped to the same line generate different
> > ring patterns).

> Could anyone elaborate on how this service is provided?  Does it
> require an ISDN switch etc?

No, it doesn't require anything more than a plain, ordinary analog
space-division switch such as the 1A-ESS, when it's offered here in
NJ.  It only requires that the telco equip its switch with a generic
that provides the service, and that they tariff it or whatever is
required by your state before a new service may be offered.

Nothing special is required at the customer end.  Just an ordinary
telephone set equipped with a ringer.  Different ring cadences are
used to identify which of several phone numbers was dialed, when they
all ring the same line.

Just make sure that your tel set ringer is powered directly from the
tel line, not by a key system, PBX, or other device which generates
its own cadence.  Also, watch out for answering machines that count
rings.  It may count the individual signaling elements of a
short-long-short ring cadence as three rings.

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (09/25/90)

In article <12383@accuvax.nwu.edu>, limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Hui Lin
Lim) writes:

> > I seem to recall a request posted here a couple of months ago asking
> > whether there was any such beast as a call distribution device (for
> > the home) based on Distinctive Ringing Service offered by the LECs
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Could anyone elaborate on how this service is provided?  Does it
> require an ISDN switch etc?

Nope.  They do it on a standard digital switch.  I can get it on a
5ESS in my area.  What they do is assign two or more telephone numbers
to one line ... and each number produces a distinctive ringing signal
(like a double-ring for line two) when someone dials it.

Actually, in an older form it is available on really old SXS switches
from 40 years ago.  It's called Party Line ringing.

These call distribution devices for the home (like the AutoLine Plus
from ITI in Endicott, NY at 800-333-0802) are typically used as a way
of routing calls to a fax machine without the added expense of a
second line.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544       Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (09/25/90)

In article <12415@accuvax.nwu.edu> limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Hui Lin
Lim) writes:

>> I seem to recall a request posted here a couple of months ago asking
>> whether there was any such beast as a call distribution device (for
>> the home) based on Distinctive Ringing Service offered by the LECs
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> (variously sold as RingMaster, SmartRing, RingMate around the country,
>> in which multiple numbers mapped to the same line generate different
>> ring patterns). Well, here are excerpts from a recent article
>> describing just such a device.

>Could anyone elaborate on how this service is provided?  Does it
>require an ISDN switch etc?

This is just dressed up party line service. Different ringing codes
are supplied for different directory number assigned to the same loop.
The easiest switch to implement this service would be a step by step -
just cross connect the connector outputs for the various directory
numbers on the MDF. An ISDN switch requires an amazing amount of
software to do the same function - ie assign multiple DN's to the same
line circuit. Any switch sold in North America in the last 60 years
will have the capability of providing party line service and this new
new ultra-modern Distinctive Ringing Service (an extra cost item).

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (09/28/90)

>From: tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook)

>In article <12383@accuvax.nwu.edu>, limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Hui Lin
>Lim) writes:

>> Could anyone elaborate on how this service is provided?  Does it
>> require an ISDN switch etc?

>Nope.  They do it on a standard digital switch.  I can get it on a
>5ESS in my area.  ...

Of course, AT&T does ISDN on 5ESS, too.

JBL

JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet (09/28/90)

> I seem to recall a request posted here a couple of months ago asking
> whether there was any such beast as a call distribution device (for
> the home) based on Distinctive Ringing Service offered by the LECs
> (variously sold as RingMaster, SmartRing, RingMate around the country,
> in which multiple numbers mapped to the same line generate different
> ring patterns). Well, here are excerpts from a recent article
> describing just such a device.

The latest issue of the Hello Direct catalog I just received (winter
1990) has a "Ring Director" box advertised on page 38.  $99.95 qty
1-2. As usual for them, no manufacturer given.

Jeff Sicherman   jajz801@calstate.bitnet