[comp.dcom.telecom] Discount Plans

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (09/28/90)

In article <12640@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com>
writes:

>If you think about it, why "WATS" or "ProWATS" or "ROA" or any of that
>stuff? Why not just have a sliding scale where the rate gets cheaper
>as usage increases? The "special" plans are nothing more than theater
>to convince the customer that he is getting something "special".

Metromedia ITT does exactly this.  There is a volume discount which
increases in several steps.  I don't make enough calls to trigger more
than the first step of the discount, which is (I think) 5%.

OTOH, Metromedia >still< doesn't seem to deal with supervision
properly, even though I have them as my 1+ carrier.  I go through the
bill every month and remove ALL calls of 1-2 minutes duration, as I
always talk longer than that.  I also deduct 3% excise tax.  To their
credit, MM/ITT has never had a word to say about this practice, and
even (back when they were Telesavers, Inc.)  actually encouraged it.

cowan@marob.masa.com  (aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)