[comp.dcom.telecom] ATM at Retailers

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (09/12/90)

In article <12026@accuvax.nwu.edu> Dave Speed <dspeed@well.uucp>
writes:

>On a similar note, our local <Sacramento, CA> grocery chain has
>installed pseudo ATM's for banking from the checkout line. Perhaps I'm
>paranoid, but I don't see any advantage (to *me*) in giving the
>merchant my bank number and PIN. Am I being silly ?

Well, this gets a bit far from Telecom, but there are several potential
advantages to the consumer from this type of arrangement:

For certain types of checking accounts from some banks, this type of
transaction may be free, while writing a check is not.

Many retail stores (particularly grocery stores) require a special
"check cashing card" from that store to write a check.  Using your ATM
card to make the purchase reduces the number of cards you need (and in
many cases the number of PINs you need to recall).  This is even more
important if you are shopping outside of your normal area.

I don't really see that the security implications are much different
than giving a store your Visa card and they run it thru their card
reader.

Now to give it some Telecom relevance:

The proliferation of ATM terminals and retail stores using ATM type
cards seems to be particularly popular in urban areas, but seems to be
much less popular in small town America.  Now this may be because of
attitude differences, but I have assumed that much of it is also due
to the fact that connecting the terminal to necessary host equipment
is also considerably more expensive and thus the amount of traffic for
a particular location would need to be much higher for a rural
location than an urban one.  Can someone knowledgeable describe the
typical type of connections utilized by ATM equipment (both stand
alone and in conjunction with a point of sale terminal)?

     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110
	     phil@wubios.WUstl.edu - Internet  (314) 362-3617
uunet!wuarchive!wubios!phil - UUCP (314)362-2693(FAX)  C90562JM@WUVMD - bitnet

MCMAHON%GRIN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (McMahon,Brian D) (09/14/90)

J. Philip Miller <phil@wubios.wustl.edu> writes:

>The proliferation of ATM terminals and retail stores using ATM type
>cards seems to be particularly popular in urban areas, but seems to be
>much less popular in small town America.  Now this may be because of
>attitude differences, but I have assumed that much of it is also due
>to the fact that connecting the terminal to necessary host equipment
>is also considerably more expensive and thus the amount of traffic for
>a particular location would need to be much higher for a rural
>location than an urban one.

It may also be that the need for point-of-sale systems is less
pressing in rural communities.  It's much easier to cash a check in
smaller towns.  Take Grinnell (pop. 9000) as an example.  Few of the
local merchants require identification even for out-of-town checks.
When I lived and worked in the Washington D.C. area, it was next to
IMPOSSIBLE to cash a check without producing an I.D. *and* a major
credit card.

Now, I did notice a POS machine at Iowa Book & Supply a while ago, but
that's in Iowa city.  You know, the big city.  :-) On the other hand,
Farm Service is installing one of their Fuel-24 (or whatever it's
called, the advertisment is at home) stations here, which are gas pump
that take a special credit card.  Open 24 hours, no need for an
attendant.  You just drive up, insert your card, and start pumping
gas.  This suggests that where the service meets local demand, it *is*
feasible to set up POS in smaller communities...

Brian McMahon  <MCMAHON@GRIN1.BITNET> Grinnell College Computer Services
Grinnell, Iowa 50112 USA Voice: +1 515 269 4901 / Fax:   +1 515 269 4936

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (09/18/90)

In article <12065@accuvax.nwu.edu> phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip
Miller) writes:

>In article <12026@accuvax.nwu.edu> Dave Speed <dspeed@well.uucp>
>writes:

>>On a similar note, our local <Sacramento, CA> grocery chain has
>>installed pseudo ATM's for banking from the checkout line. Perhaps I'm
>>paranoid, but I don't see any advantage (to *me*) in giving the
>>merchant my bank number and PIN. Am I being silly?

	I asked myself the same question the other night when I bought
gas at an Arco station in a fairly unsavory part of town (not far from
my office :^) ). Since the POS terminal asks you whether you want a
receipt, I pushed "yes" and walked into the station, as directed by
the machine. The rather harried clerk looked at me, surmised since I
was standing outside the turnstile that I was a POS customer waiting
for a receipt, and then took a *long* piece of cash register tape into
his hand. In addition to gas receipts from the POS terminal, this tape
was printing receipts for every Pepsi and Hostess Twinkie passing
through the cash register. After a few seconds of puzzling over the
tape, the clerk asked me which pump I used, and more puzzling ensued
until the printer started growling again. Clerk: "Oh, here it is.".

	He ripped the tape from the printer, removed the piece of the
tape containing my receipt, and (presumably) threw the rest away. I
checked the tape - it did not contain my PIN.

	I've concluded that if the PIN *does* find its way into
Atlantic Richfield's network, it's not likely to do so in such a form
as to become archived anywhere. What legal purpose could be served by
such a database?

>Well, this gets a bit far from Telecom, but there are several potential
>advantages to the consumer from this type of arrangement:

>For certain types of checking accounts from some banks, this type of
>transaction may be free, while writing a check is not.

	Or, in this case, writing a check is impossible (would be free
if the gas station accepted checks), and this type of transaction is
not (Arco charges $0.10 transaction fee). To me the advantage is
merely not having to stand in line behind a bunch of people buying
cigarettes, pseudo-hot dogs, and Ho-Hos.

(stuff excised)

>The proliferation of ATM terminals and retail stores using ATM type
>cards seems to be particularly popular in urban areas, but seems to be
>much less popular in small town America.  Now this may be because of
>attitude differences, but I have assumed that much of it is also due
>to the fact that connecting the terminal to necessary host equipment
>is also considerably more expensive and thus the amount of traffic for
>a particular location would need to be much higher for a rural
>location than an urban one.  Can someone knowledgeable describe the
>typical type of connections utilized by ATM equipment (both stand
>alone and in conjunction with a point of sale terminal)?

	I would assume that the functional differences between an ATM
and a POS terminal would be embedded in the terminals themselves.

	Both use plain ole asynchronous modems (usually hidden where
you can't see them, but sometimes where you can see them but can't get
at them. The usual scheme (I believe) is that the ATM dials up a
central site which multiplexes several signals and connects to the
network's central mainframe (often via satellite link).

	It may not be cost effective to run ATMs in locations that are
far removed from the central site of a bank/retailer which uses land
lines, but even in remote localities it would be easy for large
retailers who already have satellite networks in place (e.g., Safeway,
which distributes its own background music via satellite to a downlink
in each store, at least in this part of the country) to have ATMs and
POS terminals.

	The parts of "small-town America" which I frequent are well
populated with them.

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

friedl@mtndew.tustin.ca.us (Steve Friedl) (09/20/90)

In article <12318@accuvax.nwu.edu>, bcsaic!carroll@beaver.cs.
washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) writes:

> I've concluded that if the PIN *does* find its way into
> Atlantic Richfield's network, it's not likely to do so in such a form
> as to become archived anywhere. What legal purpose could be served by
> such a database?

ARCO does not keep this information at all.  The in-store computers
have no way of getting the information from the network, and the
financial software that does the mini-market accounting does not use
it at all either [runs on a 3B15].  The franchisees don't get the $.10
either, ARCO does and probably helps pay for the network.

Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / I speak for me only / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (09/20/90)

writes:

>On a similar note, our local <Sacramento, CA> grocery chain has
>installed pseudo ATM's for banking from the checkout line. Perhaps I'm
>paranoid, but I don't see any advantage (to *me*) in giving the
>merchant my bank number and PIN. Am I being silly ?

You are not giving your PIN number to the merchant.  The PIN is
encrypted (mixed with your bank card number) in a ONE WAY algorithm by
a chip that is in the PIN pad itself.  The plaintext PIN never sees
the light of day.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) (09/23/90)

In article <12439@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T.
Kaufman) writes:

>You are not giving your PIN number to the merchant.  The PIN is
>encrypted (mixed with your bank card number) in a ONE WAY algorithm by
>a chip that is in the PIN pad itself.  The plaintext PIN never sees
>the light of day.

A one way algorithm?  Pray, how does the bank decode it to verify you?
A gigantic lookup table?

I really am curious about this, the sarcasm is just a side-effect.  :-)

Steve King, Motorola Cellular  (...uunet!motcid!king)

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com> (09/24/90)

In article <12469@accuvax.nwu.edu>, motcid!king@uunet (Steven King)
writes:

| >You are not giving your PIN number to the merchant.  The PIN is
| >encrypted (mixed with your bank card number) in a ONE WAY algorithm by
| >a chip that is in the PIN pad itself.  The plaintext PIN never sees
| >the light of day.

| A one way algorithm?  Pray, how does the bank decode it to verify you?
| A gigantic lookup table?

| I really am curious about this, the sarcasm is just a side-effect.  :-)

One algorithm is a query-response ... Bank sends QUERY (a random
number) to merchant box.  Merchant box sends QUERY to keypad.  You
enter PIN into keypad.  Chip in keypad computes oneway (QUERY,PIN) as
RESPONSE, sends that to merchant box.  Merchant box sends RESPONSE to
bank.  Bank computes oneway (QUERY,PIN), compares it with RESPONSE, and
says yay or nay.

See... the PIN is both at the bank, and in the keypad, but nowhere
else.  And recording the traffic for later replay won't help.

(Yes, there are *other* ways.)

Just another security weenie,

Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III
merlyn@iwarp.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!iwarp.intel.com!merlyn

David Lemson <FREE0612@uiucvmd> (09/24/90)

In a message of 23 Sep 90 16:49:02 GMT, Steven King <motcid!king@
uunet.uu.net> writes:

>In article <12439@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T.
>Kaufman) writes:

>>You are not giving your PIN number to the merchant.  The PIN is
>>encrypted (mixed with your bank card number) in a ONE WAY algorithm by
>>a chip that is in the PIN pad itself.  The plaintext PIN never sees
>>the light of day.

>A one way algorithm?  Pray, how does the bank decode it to verify you?
>A gigantic lookup table?

     The bank doesn't need to "decode" it.  The bank's computer knows
what your PIN is supposed to be.  So, it codes it with the same
trap-door algorithm as the keypad did, and compares the two.  FYI,
this is the same way that the Unix operating system encrypts passwords
with a one-way coding scheme, and stores them encoded.  My guess is
that your bank's computer stores your PIN encoded, so it simply
compares the encoded incoming message with the encoded number stored
in the machine.

David Lemson  d-lemson@uiuc.edu

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (09/24/90)

In article <12469@accuvax.nwu.edu> motcid!king@uunet.uu.net (Steven
King) writes:

>In article <12439@accuvax.nwu.edu> I write:

->You are not giving your PIN number to the merchant.  The PIN is
->encrypted (mixed with your bank card number) in a ONE WAY algorithm by
->a chip that is in the PIN pad itself.  The plaintext PIN never sees
->the light of day.

>A one way algorithm?  Pray, how does the bank decode it to verify you?
>A gigantic lookup table?

No, the bank stores the encrypted PIN and does a straight match.  The
technique was invented by John Atalla, one of the early Fairchild
people.  Most of the bank PIN pads I have seen have been made by
Atalla Technovations.  The chip performs a one-way (e.g. many-to-one)
encryption of an arbitrary number of key presses.  It is sufficiently
slow (deliberately) so that even if you got one of them it would take
a VERY long time to try to find a sequence that gives you a particular
output word.

Since you really don't have access to the data link side of the
system, you can't spoof it there.  The link between an ATM (or
merchant system) and the bank is encrypted also, so picking up the
pair outside the building won't work either.  By far the easiest way
to learn a person's PIN is to look over his shoulder while he is
typing it in (or hold him up at gunpoint).

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (09/25/90)

In article <12509@accuvax.nwu.edu> FREE0612@uiucvmd (David Lemson)
writes:

>In a message of 23 Sep 90 16:49:02 GMT, Steven King <motcid!king@
>uunet.uu.net> writes:

>>In article <12439@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T.
>>Kaufman) writes:

>>>You are not giving your PIN number to the merchant.  The PIN is
>>>encrypted (mixed with your bank card number) in a ONE WAY algorithm by
>>>a chip that is in the PIN pad itself.  The plaintext PIN never sees
>>>the light of day.

>>A one way algorithm?  Pray, how does the bank decode it to verify you?
>>A gigantic lookup table?

>     The bank doesn't need to "decode" it.  The bank's computer knows
>what your PIN is supposed to be.  So, it codes it with the same
>trap-door algorithm as the keypad did, and compares the two.  FYI,
>this is the same way that the Unix operating system encrypts passwords
>with a one-way coding scheme, and stores them encoded.  My guess is
>that your bank's computer stores your PIN encoded, so it simply
>compares the encoded incoming message with the encoded number stored
>in the machine.

I'm not even positive the bank always has your PIN in the first place.

Last year I was one of the lucky people to receive a letter telling me
that my Versateller card was being shut down, and that I would receive
a new one in a few days. Concurrently my HomeBanking stopped also.

This shutdown occurred because some people at one of the system
providers broke their trust and obtained a significant block of
records containing names, ATM numbers and PINs. By system providers I
mean the companies like Plus System, or Star, who connect to the
retail merchants and route request from the retail merchants to the
bank ATM computer. The service providers are not necessarily banks,
they are potentially just a wholesale transaction merchant.  They do
their thing for the $1 - $2 per transaction that they get paid for
facilitating the transaction.

So in the past some "merchant's employees", not a merchant, and
actually not the retail merchant did exactly what was feared at the
start of this thread.

It took three seperate mailings to get my Versatel card back in
action.

1. The notice of the action and its cause.

2. The new Versatel account number and card.

3. A form on which I selected a new PIN to replace my old one. My old
PIN was time bombed so I was forced to select a new one.

Now back to the encryption algorythm. There actually was a
transposition pad on the form, so I encrypted my PIN, and sent the
encrypted PIN, not the PIN itself back to the Bank.

In addition, the PIN could now be variable length, and the length was
not reflected in the encrypted PIN I sent back to the bank.

So I'm not sure the bank ever has ny unencrypted PIN.

Who knows, though? Only the bank, for sure.

Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6115
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

kevin@gatech.edu (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (09/25/90)

motcid!king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) writes:

>In article <12439@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T.
>Kaufman) writes:

>>You are not giving your PIN number to the merchant.  The PIN is
>>encrypted (mixed with your bank card number) in a ONE WAY algorithm by
>>a chip that is in the PIN pad itself.  The plaintext PIN never sees
>>the light of day.

>A one way algorithm?  Pray, how does the bank decode it to verify you?
>A gigantic lookup table?

One way encryption is very common.  You store the encrypted PIN on the
card.  Then when the user enters his PIN, it is encrypted using the
same algorithm.  If the two encrypted PINs match, the original PINs
were the same.

Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Ed_Greenberg@fin.3mail.3com.com (09/26/90)

Jim Budler <jimb@silvlis.com> writes:

>Last year I was one of the lucky people to receive a letter telling me
>that my Versateller card was being shut down, and that I would receive
>a new one in a few days. Concurrently my HomeBanking stopped also.

>This shutdown occurred because some people at one of the system
>providers broke their trust and obtained a significant block of
>records containing names, ATM numbers and PINs. By system providers I
>mean the companies like Plus System, or Star, who connect to the

John Higdon's gonna love this one...

The Bank of America customer group that had their Versatel cards
invalidated were that subset that had used an ATM in Safeway
Supermarket.  Safeway ATM's are provided by an organization called
GTEL, a service of -- you guessed it -- GTE!

The scope of the breach was not known, but everybody who had a GTEL
transaction in a particular time period was uncerimoniously dumped
from the Versatel system and then sent the mailings that Jim Budler
described.  Since Versatel numbers are used to log into Homebanking,
that service was lost as well, even though Homebanking passcodes are
not the same as the Versatel PIN.

It was inconvenient, to say the least, although no money was ever
stolen using the purloined information, and _the_bank_says_ that the
perps were apprehended.

edg

martin@bellcore.bellcore.com (Martin Harriss (ACP)) (09/27/90)

I thought that Digest readers may be interested in the following "hard
evidence" about banks and ATM PINS.

About six months ago I opened a new account at a nearby bank.  I also
requested an ATM card to go with the new account.  The ATM card
arrived a few days later and with it was a note saying I could stop by
the bank to select a PIN and have the card activated.

So I went to the bank, and they got out this machine, punched a PIN in
while the bank employee wasn't looking, then she punched my account
number in and then ran my card through the machine.  Presto - a
working ATM card.

Now I, like many others, had always assumed that the machine encrypted
some combination of the PIN and the account number and stored that on
the card.  I don't remember seeing any external connection on this
machine, such as a data link to the bank's computer, but at the time I
probably wasn't looking for one.  As I remember, the card worked
immediately - I went straight to the ATM after activation to check it
out.  In other words, I believed all the information needed to use the
card was encoded on the card itself, and needed no information about
the PIN at the central computer. I thought.

Now it so happens that this bank was acquired by another bank, and
with the takeover they sent me a new card.  Fine, I thought; I really
don't care who's logo is on the card as long as it works.  With the
new card was a note telling me that a new PIN would be sent to me in a
few days.  (It seems to be quite common that banks select a PIN for
you and mail it in those envelopes with the carbon on the inside, so
you can't see the PIN until you open it.)

Well, I was a little upset about this because I rather liked the PIN
that I had - I had been using it at this and another bank for some
years; in an odd sort of way it was, in fact, telecom related.
Anyway, my new PIN arrived yesterday.  You guessed it - it was the
same as the old one.

I attribute this to one of three scenarios:

1. Coincidence. (not likely.)

2. They decoded my PIN.  (also, I suspect, unlikely.)

3. They knew my PIN all along.

I strongly suspect number 3.  When I opened the envelope I was
somewhat surprised, even shocked, that they knew it, but know it they
do.

Comments, anyone?

Martin Harriss
martin@cellar.bae.bellcore.com

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (09/27/90)

motcid!king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) writes:

>A one way algorithm?  Pray, how does the bank decode it to verify you?
>A gigantic lookup table?

They don't decode it, they encode the PIN you provide and then compare
the encrypted value of the PIN you entered against the encrypted PIN
on the magstripe.

Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc.
Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917
UUCP: ...uunet!rayssd!anomaly!mpd -- Telebit:  +1 401 455 0347
XENIX Archives: login: xxcp, password: xenix  Index: ~/SOFTLIST

af@sei.ucl.ac.be (Alain FONTAINE (Postmaster - NAD)) (09/28/90)

A recent Digest article noted:

>One way encryption is very common.  You store the encrypted PIN on the
>card.  Then when the user enters his PIN, it is encrypted using the
>same algorithm.  If the two encrypted PINs match, the original PINs
>were the same.

Homework : with four digits PIN'S, how many milliseconds of Sparc time
does one need to make an exhaustive search ?

AF