[comp.dcom.telecom] Another Air Cellular Question

Dan_Bloch@transarc.com (09/27/90)

The recent discussion reminds me of a question I've been wondering
about for a while.  How do the pay phones on airplanes work?  I assume
they must be some kind of cellular with a very large cell.  How many
cells are there nationwide?  What wavelengths do they use?  What
capacity does the system have and how much use does it get?  Who runs
them?  And, for that matter, why don't they interfere with the pilots'
radio communication?

Answers to these questions, or any others I may have forgotten to ask,
will be appreciated.

Dan Bloch
dan@transarc.com

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (09/29/90)

On Sep 28 at  0:14, Dan_Bloch@transarc.com writes:

> The recent discussion reminds me of a question I've been wondering
> about for a while.  How do the pay phones on airplanes work?  I assume
> they must be some kind of cellular with a very large cell.

Correct.

> What wavelengths do they use?

They operate around 950 MHz. This is a thorn in the side of
broadcasters, since every service and his brother seems to be trying
to cut a piece out of this frequency region. Radio broadcasters use
the band from 944 to 951 MHz to relay program material from studio
locations to transmitter sites. Mention "AirPhone" in the presence of
a broadcast engineer and see what kind of reaction you get.

> capacity does the system have and how much use does it get?  Who runs
> them?  And, for that matter, why don't they interfere with the pilots'
> radio communication?

Don't know the lastest figures on how successful "AirPhone" is these
days. Last time I even thought about it, GTE was trying to get its
"experimental" license extended (it did manage to do that). They don't
interfere with pilots' radio communication because the frequencies are
different. Also, and more importantly, the units are designed and
installed as an intregal part of the aircraft's communication system.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !