[comp.dcom.telecom] Sprint Wars - AT&T Did it Better For US

andrewda@idsvax.ids.com (Andrew R. D'Uva) (09/27/90)

In article <12457@accuvax.nwu.edu>, gtisqr!toddi@yang.cpac.
washington.edu (Todd Inch) writes:

> And you want to talk about Customer Service?  Took six calls, with
> LOTS of auto-attendant menus and "on-hold" time to.....

	The customer service aspect is a real problem for Sprint.  We
had just about gotten fed up with them when they initiated a "Premier
Accounts" group (our usage was running $700-800/mo) with a different
number.  Service was MUCH better on that basis.  There were other
problems.

> I also don't like being slammed, but that did show me true costs, and
> they (AT&T) paid for the changeover themselves.

	I've found that AT&T is often more than willing to pay
associated switchover charges or startup fees, usually by LD
certificates.  In our case, this added up to several hundred dollars
saved.  You definitely should not be afraid to ask for a "deal," after
all, they DO want your business.  Sprint does not seem to want that
business.  When I had almost decided to switch back to AT&T (their
rates were cheaper ... more on that later) I called Sprint and asked
them if our business was really important to them (i.e., how could
they match rates, offer premiums, etc) and received nothing but
Sprint's much praised "can even hear a pin drop silence."  They just
didn't want to be flexible.

> Interesting note here, GTE swears the LD carrier cannot authorize a
> changeover (maybe local policy?), that the subscriber has to call it
> in himself, but obviously it can happen here.

	In our case, the local company in one area (Bell South)
switched over primary access without EVER contacting me.  This was in
line with my wishes, but I never even spoke to them ... just AT&T.
New England Tell (NYNEX), on the other hand, practically demanded
everything in writing before they would do anything ... (And, as it
turned out, they flubbed the service order even after I had put it in
writing!)  I guess that the RBOCs vary in policy application.

Now about AT&T and their rather novel approach:

	AT&T came to us, analyzed our calling patterns and told us
that they could not, in fact, save us money over Sprint WATS.

BUT>>> What they could do was enroll us with a reseller of their
service.  All customer service and billing would be handled through
AT&T, but we would incur a small monthly fee ($25) from the reseller.
If I agreed to this, I could "buy" AT&T service as part of a large
group of people in my area (I don't even know who they are) at rates
significantly lower than Sprint's.  Technically I have PRO-WATS, but
the people at AT&T Pro-Wats can't figure out (I called them) where the
additional discounts are coming from.  My AT&T representative claims
that this is a convenient way for AT&T to avoid what she called
"restrictive regulation."  Worked out quite well, too.

Andrew D'Uva
andrewda@idsvax.ids.com <== Internet  ((Add your favorite 3K signature file))

jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com (09/29/90)

In V10 Issue 688, "Andrew R. D'Uva" <andrewda@idsvax.ids.com> writes:

>        AT&T came to us, analyzed our calling patterns and told us
>that they could not, in fact, save us money over Sprint WATS.

>service.  All customer service and billing would be handled through
>AT&T, but we would incur a small monthly fee ($25) from the reseller.
>If I agreed to this, I could "buy" AT&T service as part of a large
>group of people in my area (I don't even know who they are) at rates
>significantly lower than Sprint's.  Technically I have PRO-WATS, but
>the people at AT&T Pro-Wats can't figure out (I called them) where the
>additional discounts are coming from.  My AT&T representative claims
>that this is a convenient way for AT&T to avoid what she called
>"restrictive regulation."  Worked out quite well, too.

A couple of notes about AT&T's reseller policy (as it has been
explained to me).  The situation that Mr. D'Uva describes is pretty
common, with one exception.  Your salesperson should NEVER enroll you
under a reseller/ aggregator's program.  Those organizations are NOT
part of AT&T, and other than the agreements and tariffs under which
they buy our services, there is no connection between us.  There are
some co-marketing agreements, but these are limited.  We AT&T
salesfolk are not supposed to even give the appearance of endorsing
their services.

If a customer asks me about an aggregator, I tell him/her as much
about aggregators and resellers as I can.  I try to avoid mentioning
any of them by name.  When faced with losing a customer to the
competition because of a price difference, I would tell them what
aggregators can do.  I could provide - verbally - the names and
numbers of some aggregators.  Policy says I don't give the list in
writing - could be construed as an endorsement.

Now it is good for you, the customer, to get our service at a
discount.  And it's certainly better for AT&T than having you stay
with the competition.  But aggregators and resellers vastly complicate
the vendor/customer relationship.  And some of those guys engage in
really marginal business practices - e.g.  claiming over the phone to
be part of AT&T, vastly overstating the savings available, even
switching service to another LD carrier without notifying the
customer.

Mr. D'Uva's sales rep was also wrong to imply that our tariffs (the
Multi- Location WATS plan, Customer-Specific Term Plan, Revenue Volume
Pricing Plan, and even Software Defined Network) are some kind of
cheesy way to get around the FCC.  We set them up to give discounts to
customers who promise to deliver a high level of usage.  The
aggregator phenomenon is a side effect, and one AT&T is not entirely
happy with.

Jack Dominey|AT&T Commercial Marketing|800-241-4285|AT&TMail !dominey
My own opinions:  Not to be confused with an official statement.