[comp.dcom.telecom] Nynex Fast Track: Phone Directories on CD-ROM

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (09/18/90)

Someone has already made posted an article here discussing Nynex's
CD-ROMs containing telephone directory information for Nynex's
operating companies, New York Telephone and New England Telephone.

Nynex has produced a demonstration floppy disk to show off the
capabilities of the Fast Trask CD-ROM. If you would like a free copy
of the demo disk, call toll-free 1-800-338-0646, or write to:

 NYNEX Information Resources Company
 Attention: Fast Track
 P.O. Box 3518
 New York, N.Y. 10277
 Specify whether you want a 5.25" or 3.5" disk.

Nigel Allen    telephone (416) 535-8916
52 Manchester Avenue    fax (416) 978-7552
Toronto, Ontario M6G 1V3
Canada

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (09/21/90)

In article <12300@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen)
writes:

> Someone has already made posted an article here discussing Nynex's
> CD-ROMs containing telephone directory information for Nynex's
> operating companies, New York Telephone and New England Telephone.

Having the phone book on CD-ROM is a tremendous idea, but what NYNEX is
doing just seems so horribly WRONG.

I see this as the non-regulated NYNEX taking advantage of their
position and really ripping off the customers of their regulated
operating companies NYTel and NET&T. The Feds recently fined NYNEX for
other abuses, and MA and NY need to get them for the same violations.

The phone company provides a pile of local books free for every phone,
and in large companies that get the annual directory delivery by truck
load, you probably can't find ANYONE with a recent directory. Why? The
building super is no fool. He knows if they get delivered, he will
have mountains of old books to cart to the dumpster. Its much simpler
to take the NEW pallet load directly to the dumpster. Sure, he saves a
few for 'special' people. CD-ROMS could come by mail.

Here in Boston, you MUST know whether you need central, north, south
or west book for the 411 folks to find anyone, and heaven help you if
your lost friend moved one town farther west than the west book
covers. Their service and attitude is very poor. The most frustrating
thing was knowing that the CD-ROM existed last year when we had a long
phone strike and 411 took many minutes to answer. If NET&T offered me
a choice of CD-ROM or paper books, I would grab the CD-ROM and run. 411
would seldom if ever get called.

Many obvious uses include keeping older directories for reference
later to see who lived where 'back then'. Many libraries have very old
phone books. CD-ROM would also be good for archiving of this sort, but
NYNEX MAKES YOU return old CD-ROMS!

Many people have problems reading the fine print in directories, and a
simple PC based solution would solve this problem, too. Imagine a
payphone with a built in CD-ROM based directory.

There are ethical issues of sawing down forests to make phone books
when a very inexpensive CD-ROM would be a much better solution.
Making the CD-ROM master costs about $1500, and, even in modest
quantities (under 100), copies with their silk-screened label, a black
and white simple label insert and the plastic snap open jewel case,
cost maybe $1.85 each. The raw 'stamp another disc' cost is about 26
cents.

If the local telco were to offer you a choice of a CD-ROM, or the
normal pile of white pages, would that seem a fair and reasonable
option? Maybe a CD-ROM in place of 10 , or 20, sets for a business
would make sense. Maybe extras should cost $5.00 or even an outrageous
$10. Maybe monthly phone line charges for subscribers taking one
CD-ROM rather than twenty sets of books should be LOWER!

When I first heard on NYNEX's service it was about $10,000, and that
was ONLY for a single workstation and could not be networked! The
network version cost even MORE!

Something smells rotten.

So what is the problem? The old issue of who 'owns' the phone number
list, and who can print phone books comes up. The phone industry needs
its wings clipped, and though I don't seriously want more government
agencies, I would suggest that if the phone companies think they 'own'
our phone number list, maybe someone would suggest a government agency
that would license you to use phone numbers (you would take your
license to which ever dialtone provider you chose...) and this same
agency would provide to anyone the master list in some machine
readable form for a reasonable processing fee.  Of course we don't
want this to happen, BUT use the idea as a club to ensure that the
telcos don't get too greedy providing lists.

If your local telco is trying to get 411 made chargable, try to get
the local regulators to only allow it when the telco gives you at
least a LATA wide CD-ROM as an optional phone book for the same price
they charge you for the current book(s).

Nynex claims there is all sorts of proprietary software and database
compression involved in that CD-ROM. I don't doubt it. But it won't
take long for public domain software to fill the gap, and if
regulatory mandates required every LEC to provide users a CD-ROM or
paper book free choice, I am sure MANY software houses would gladly
provide ALL NECESSARY SOFTWARE at a per copy royalty so low (pennies)
that, with even a $1.85 cdrom, the TOTAL cost would be drastically
less than the phone books are now.

The NYNEX CD-ROM doesn't include Soundex lookup, either, so there is
VAST room for improvement by somebody.

Of course a combined white/yellow CD-ROM book that also had PC
software ON THE CD-ROM that would let you search for a local hardware
store that sold metric screws with lefthand threads and automatically
dial into each hardware store's computer to check inventory and
offered pricing, and even could let you place an electronic order,
would need WIDE FREE distribution that the advertisers would gleefully
pay for if it was competitively (NOT NYNEX style) priced. Well, next
year, maybe...

jlister@marob.masa.com (John Lister) (09/29/90)

In article <12388@accuvax.nwu.edu> BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F.
Bruce) writes:

>In article <12300@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen)
>writes:

>> Someone has already made posted an article here discussing Nynex's
>> CD-ROMs containing telephone directory information for Nynex's
>> operating companies, New York Telephone and New England Telephone.

>Having the phone book on CD-ROM is a tremendous idea, but what NYNEX is
>doing just seems so horribly WRONG.

>I see this as the non-regulated NYNEX taking advantage of their
>position and really ripping off the customers of their regulated
>operating companies NYTel and NET&T. The Feds recently fined NYNEX for
>other abuses, and MA and NY need to get them for the same violations.

>The phone company provides a pile of local books free for every phone,

The problem is (as I understand it) is that the advertising pays for
much of the cost of printing the phone book.  However, the solution is
not really the CD-ROM (though think of what the junk mail people could
do if they got hold of just about all the households in a given area
conveniently packaged...)  rather, it is to provide online access,
which is what the French have done.  They have given away a (cheap)
terminal to everyone with a phone for (I think) free directory
lookups.

A side-effect of this is that the terminal can be used for lots of
other access.  I have heard that Bank at home, and Prodigy-like
services are making a pile of money.

John Lister