[comp.dcom.telecom] Need Help With Plantronics Headset

clark@ssc-vax.boeing.com (Roger Clark Swann) (09/26/90)

I need some help with this headset that I found today at the surplus
store.  It is a Platronics StarSet (R) Supra (TM) with the numbers
HS0552-1 on the back of the connector. This is the type that uses an
_adapter_ to connect to the phone instrument. The connector is the
PJ327 flavor, (two 1/4 inch phone plugs side by side on one end of
small box).  I looked in the ATT source book and the unit is listed
there for $130 and the adapter for hookup to a 1A or single line set
an additional $130.

Question: What is in the adapter box other than an on/off switch and a
push switch for flashing the line?

Followup question: Can I make an adapter to hook this headset into a
phone?

Yes, the little adapter box looks nice, but not a $130 nice.

I assume that the network interface in the phone set is used just as
it is with the regular handset and that the _adapter_ is wired so as
to provide hookswitch control and connects the headset in place of the
regular handset. If this is true, I should be able to roll my own
adapter. The only other thing I need to know is; Which plug on the
headset is the mic circuit and which is the earphone circuit?

All help is greatly appreciated!

    Roger Swann               |    uucp:  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!clark
         @                    |
The Boeing Company            |

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (09/29/90)

In article <12690@accuvax.nwu.edu>, clark@ssc-vax.boeing.com (Roger
Clark Swann) writes:

> I need some help with this headset that I found today at the surplus
> store.  It is a Platronics StarSet (R) Supra (TM) with the numbers
> HS0552-1 on the back of the connector. This is the type that uses an
> _adapter_ to connect to the phone instrument. The connector is the
> PJ327 flavor, (two 1/4 inch phone plugs side by side on one end of
> small box).  I looked in the ATT source book and the unit is listed
> there for $130 and the adapter for hookup to a 1A or single line set
> an additional $130.

> Question: What is in the adapter box other than an on/off switch and a
> push switch for flashing the line?

> Followup question: Can I make an adapter to hook this headset into a
> phone?

> Yes, the little adapter box looks nice, but not a $130 nice.

> I assume that the network interface in the phone set is used just as
> it is with the regular handset and that the _adapter_ is wired so as
> to provide hookswitch control and connects the headset in place of the
> regular handset. If this is true, I should be able to roll my own
> adapter. The only other thing I need to know is; Which plug on the
> headset is the mic circuit and which is the earphone circuit?

	The Tips of the jack are Transmitter, the Sleeves are Receiver.

	The magic box, known in telco speak as a JS-0180 contains an
amplifier, power feed for the electret mic, flash switch and
hook-switch. It also contains enough odd leads to enable the device to
provide A1 lead control (Works with 1A2 phones) and can be wired to
work with a 4A speaker-phone. But let's be honest, for something made
by underpaid labour in Mexico, this is a rip off at $95.00
(Distributor price).

	But you need the box with your starset and a regular desk
phone.  Making one would be a hassle. You could possibly Mickey Mouse
one together, but it would lack many of the facilities of the real
thing.

	Wiring in a jackset is a nightmare at the best of times. There
is a good instruction book, and only a screwdriver is needed, but it
is not for the neophyte. If you have never opened a phone before,
putting in a jackset is not a good place to start. The Manual is good
and comprehensive, but messing with 16 wires minimum requires patience
and concentration.

	 If you want to get a headset going, there is hope. You can
get a used refurbished one. A company called Comfort
Telecommunications sells refurbished JS-0180 jacksets and even
headsets. Here are the details:

	Comfort Communications
	Suite 340
	1417-2 Del Prado Boulevard
	Cape Coral
	Florida 33990

Phone: (813) 945-3224   (813) 472-7065
FAX:   (813) 945-0288

Prices:

Starset 343-1       $39.00
Starset Classic     $39.00
JS-0180 Jackset     $25.00

	Also Plantronics will "repair", which means send you a new
one, for good prices. Send them a JS-0180 that has been run over by a
Mac truck and they will send you a new one for $25.00

	You can call Plantronics repair at (800) 544-4660
	For our international readers      (408) 426-5868
			                   TELEX 357-419

	If you have questions about which of the many Plantronics
headsets to use, you can call sales at (800) 544-4660 Sorry no POTS
number.

	Hello Direct sell Plantronics headsets. They are expensive but
good.  But if you are a scrounger, get a "broken" one that someone
wants to toss and get Plantronics to "repair" it for just a few bucks.

	There are other headset makers. The brand names like Unex,
Danvox etc make good but expensive headsets. It is hard to justify a
headset that costs more than four times the cost of the phone it is
attached to.  But one experience with a cheapie headset should
convince you to go with the quality.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (09/30/90)

In article <12690@accuvax.nwu.edu>, clark@ssc-vax.boeing.com (Roger
Clark Swann) writes:

[ regarding an operator handset/headset with a dual-jack connector ]

> ... The only other thing I need to know is; Which plug on the
> headset is the mic circuit and which is the earphone circuit?

The earphone is connected between the two sleeve leads.  The
microphone is connected between the two tip leads.  That way, it will
work, regardless of which way it's plugged in.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900  	Fax: 908 647 6857