[comp.dcom.telecom] Overbilled by Six Orders of Magnitude

jjohnson@hpljaj.hpl.hp.com (Jeff Johnson) (09/25/90)

Excerpted from the 9/21/90 {San Jose Mercury-News}:

PHONE BILL'S WRONG NUMBER:  $8.7 MILLION

Chicago (AP) -- Cori Ward's mother got a little defensive when she
received a phone bill for three weeks' service -- $8.7 million.

"She says, 'I only called my sister,'" said Ward, who handles her
elderly mother's bills.

The bill from Illinois Bell should have read $87.98, not $8,709,800.33.

Ward said she had a hard time explaining the mistake to the phone
company.

The error occurred when someone incorrectly typed a "correction" into
the computer system, said Larry Cose, a Bell spokesman.

cramer@uunet.uu.net (Clayton Cramer) (09/28/90)

In article <12576@accuvax.nwu.edu>, jjohnson@hpljaj.hpl.hp.com (Jeff
Johnson) writes:

> Chicago (AP) -- Cori Ward's mother got a little defensive when she
> received a phone bill for three weeks' service -- $8.7 million.

> "She says, 'I only called my sister,'" said Ward, who handles her
> elderly mother's bills.

> The bill from Illinois Bell should have read $87.98, not $8,709,800.33.

Uh, doesn't the phone company's accounting software have some sanity
checks in it?  Do they regularly send out residential service bills
that require seven digits left of the decimal point?

> Ward said she had a hard time explaining the mistake to the phone
> company.

Whoever Ward talked to in customer service, then, needs replacement
with a non-robodroid.  If I were in customer service, and someone
called up with a $8x10^6 phone bill for three weeks of residential
service, this would be immediate evidence of serious billing SNAFUs --
I wouldn't need an explanation at all.

Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
You must be kidding!  No company would hold opinions like mine!

[Moderator's Note: Very few customers of Illinois Bell get seven-digit
phone bills each month: City of Chicago; University of Chicago;
General Services Administration (billing for all federal agencies
here); Cook County government; State of Illinois government;
University of Illinois at Chicago; Amoco/Standard Oil; and probably
the Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, to name a few. Every
one of them have a customer service representative for their exclusive
use: someone who does nothing but attend to that customer's
requirements eight hours per day, five days per week. There are plenty
of six-digit monthly billings: Chicago Board of Education, including
the City Colleges; Transit Authority; and Commonwealth Edison.   PAT]

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (09/28/90)

I had a case where I was managing a small outside computer account at
a university, and received a large bill for supposed usage.  It was
off by some order of magnitude (I don't recall what), and I called the
computing center there, and found out someone had already "flagged" my
account because she had figured out I didn't spend that kind of money
on that account.  (Error got fixed.)

In other words, the above case had an internal "sanity" check.  Does
somebody do something like that at the phone company office, at or
before the customer calls?

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (09/29/90)

In article <12722@accuvax.nwu.edu>, optilink!cramer@uunet.uu.net
(Clayton Cramer) writes:

> Uh, doesn't the phone company's accounting software have some sanity
> checks in it?  Do they regularly send out residential service bills
> that require seven digits left of the decimal point?

Most billing software does not seem to have any sanity checks.  For
the third time, my mortgage bank send me first and overdue notice, and
then a penalty notice, for a $ 0.01 (that's right, one US dollar cent)
underpayment.

This underpayment sometimes occurs because my softwarer calculates the
payment to be be one cent less than the bank's software.  I also pay
most of my checks by EFT (CheckFree).  Thus, unless I remember to
manually correct the amount, it goes out wrong.  When I call the bank,
they fix it, and I send them one extra penny the next time.

It costs them 50 cents in postage, plus paper etc. to notify me.
Since one notification costs $ 0.25, it would make sense to accept any
payment that was not more than 25 cents too small, and just add it to
the next month's statement.  That kind of sanity is apparently not
possessed by the designers of accounting and billing programs.

Herman Silbiger

gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (09/29/90)

optilink!cramer@uunet.uu.net (Clayton Cramer) writes:

|> jjohnson@hpljaj.hpl.hp.com (Jeff Johnson) writes:

|> > Chicago (AP) -- Cori Ward's mother got a little defensive when she
|> > received a phone bill for three weeks' service -- $8.7 million.

[etc]

|> Uh, doesn't the phone company's accounting software have some sanity
|> checks in it?  Do they regularly send out residential service bills
|> that require seven digits left of the decimal point?

No.  Billing centers only have one purpose in life, to bill as fast as
they can, and their thinking is that even a simple subroutine to check
for excessive zeros will slow then down.  The same subroutine would
also bring the accuracy statistics down, something they don't like at
all.  It's better if the mistake was discovered by the customer, then
that inaccurate billing is not added to the company's accuracy stats.

|> > Ward said she had a hard time explaining the mistake to the phone
|> > company.

|> Whoever Ward talked to in customer service, then, needs replacement
|> with a non-robodroid.  If I were in customer service, and someone
|> called up with a $8x10^6 phone bill for three weeks of residential
|> service, this would be immediate evidence of serious billing SNAFUs --
|> I wouldn't need an explanation at all.

This I agree on.  MCI had problems with so-called "stuck clocks," or
billed calls that were extremely excessive (like 600 - 2000 minutes).
These were calls to end offices (CO's) that didn't return supervision,
and the MCI switch had to depend on voice patterns on the line to
determine when to start supervision.  Unfortunately, they sometimes
didn't stop supervision when the call stopped, and it would continue
to clock the call until billing-dump time on the switch, when it
routined the trunk to see it's usage, and discovered that it was not
in use, and "end" that call-record.  The switch merrily dumped that
call onto the mag tape, and the billing center merrily billed it on
the customers bill.

Well, MCI had a standing policy to take the excessive charge off the
bill, *without question*.  Since it was impossible to determine how
long the customer talked for (unless they volunteered), the call was
written off.  Everybody in customer service knew this.  The only thing
that was needed was a copy of the bill which the call appeared on
(this being before MCI had on-line call detail).

If somebody called me at MCI with an $8.7 mil. bill on a *residental*
account, I would *NOT* be arguing with them ... I'd instead give them
my direct address at MCI, and save the bill as a souvenier instead
after the mess was straightned out.

   Robert Michael Gutierrez
   Office of Space Science and Applications,
   NASA Science Internet - Network Operations Center.
   Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, California.

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/30/90)

On Sep 29 at  1:44, Robert Michael Gutierrez writes:

> This I agree on.  MCI had problems with so-called "stuck clocks," or
> billed calls that were extremely excessive (like 600 - 2000 minutes).

MCI also has a problem with excessively small bills. A couple of years
ago, I opened an MCI secondary account. Not once have I placed a call,
but the first month the account was opened, one bogus call appeared on
the bill with a charge of $0.23. I ignored it.

Every month now for two years an MCI bill has appeared with a Past Due
amount of $0.23 showing. Apparently is too small to trigger any
collection action but also there is no sanity check to drop it. MCI
has spent many dollars in postage now reminding me of that 23 cent
amount.

I do enjoy reading the bill inserts, however.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !