[comp.dcom.telecom] CCITT and Plenary Sessions/Books Summary

djcl@contact.uucp (woody) (09/27/90)

Summary of Plenary Assemblies of the International Telegraph and
Telephone Consultative Committee (CCITT):

Every four years, CCITT holds a session to update international
telephone and telecommunication standards. The next one is due in
1992. Here are the locations dates of the sessions to date, along with
the colour of the books that resulted from each session (the latest is
the Blue Book series from 1988's session).

Session  Location               Dates              Book Colour
-------  ---------------------- -------------      -----------
  I      Geneva                 10-20 Dec '56      Red
  II     New Delhi              8-16 Dec '60       Red
  III    Geneva                 15-27 Jun '64      Blue
  IV     Mar del Plata          23 Sep-25 Oct '68  White
  V      Geneva                 4-15 Dec '72       Green
  VI     Geneva                 27 Sep-8 Oct '76   Orange
  VII    Geneva                 10-21 Nov '80      Yellow
  VIII   Molaga-Torremolinos    8-19 Oct '84       Red
  IX     Melbourne              14-25 Nov '88      Blue

It appears that the book colours are forming a cycle. If so, the books
coming out of the '92 conference, wherever that will be, will be
white.

The announcement for the '92 conference will likely show up in an
edition of the ITU's _Telecommunication_Journal_ at some point.

Various study groups are formed to tackle various questions of
standards and policies. To be studies in 1989-92 are 16/I (public
international directory services) or 34/I (international
telecommunication credit card service). One of the first volumes of
the Blue Book series should have some details on that.

On a side note, it is interesting to note that the CCITT has developed
standards for a programming language called CHILL (CCITT High Level
Language). I don't know if this is actually in use anywhere, or if
there have been any CHILL compilers/interpreters developed. It's an
interesting language, what with various set operators developed, and
the typical 'if', 'for' and 'while' looping mechanisms.

The preceding was distilled from a recent quick run into Ottawa; this
information is subject to spelling or errors of reading things too
quickly.  Any corrections or additional information would be
appreciated.

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (09/29/90)

In article <12700@accuvax.nwu.edu>, djcl@contact.uucp (woody) writes:

> It appears that the book colours are forming a cycle. If so, the books
> coming out of the '92 conference, wherever that will be, will be
> white.

A decision has been made by Dr. Theo Irmer, the Director of the CCITT,
that color books will no longer be published.  Instead,
Recommendations will be published when approved.  This approval no
longer needs to wait until a Plenary Assembly.  The 1988 Melbourne
Plenary Assembly approved. among othrt things, Resolution No.2.  This
resolution empowers each Study Group to approve a Recommenadtion at
any time by going through a defined process.  Once the Recommendtion
is approved it will be issued and published by the CCITT.

At the recent September meeting of Study Group VIII (Telematic
Terminals, i.e.  facsimile, Teletex, videotex, document transfer) two
revised Recommendations, one new Recommendation, and amendments to 5
other recommendations were approved for these Res. 2 procedures.

>The announcement for the '92 conference will likely show up in an
>edition of the ITU's _Telecommunication_Journal_ at some point.
>On a side note, it is interesting to note that the CCITT has developed
>standards for a programming language called CHILL (CCITT High Level
>Language). I don't know if this is actually in use anywhere, or if
>there have been any CHILL compilers/interpreters developed. It's an
>interesting language, what with various set operators developed, and
>the typical 'if', 'for' and 'while' looping mechanisms.

Yes CHILL is used, mainly in the electronic switching system environment.

Herman Silbiger

jack@swlabs.uucp (Jack Bonn) (10/01/90)

In article <12700@accuvax.nwu.edu> djcl@contact.uucp (woody) writes:

>On a side note, it is interesting to note that the CCITT has developed
>standards for a programming language called CHILL (CCITT High Level
>Language). I don't know if this is actually in use anywhere, or if
>there have been any CHILL compilers/interpreters developed. It's an
>interesting language, what with various set operators developed, and
>the typical 'if', 'for' and 'while' looping mechanisms.

Interesting is certainly an understatement regarding CHILL.  It has
all the strengths and weaknesses of a strongly typed language and
reminds me more than a little of what I have seen of ADA.  [I wish I
had $1 for every time the difference between synmode and newmode had
to be explained to newcomers.]

Yes, it was used.  Here in Connecticut at ITT's Telecommunication
Technology Center (TTC, later called ATC) a compiler was developed for
CHILL in the late 70's and early 80's.  The System 12 digital switch was
developed in CHILL both here and in Europe.  The development platform
was the IBM mainframe and the target was the 8086.  Rumor has it that
the System 12 development cost approx. $1.2 billion (where billion ==
one thousand million).

The French firm Alcatel bought ITT out of the telecommunications
business (although ITT retained some piece of the action) and moved
the operation out of the US.  But I am sure System 12 is still written
in CHILL.

Siemans in Florida has used CHILL.  I had also heard that AG in
Phoenix, Arizona is/was also using CHILL.

Jack Bonn, KC1UH, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack (UUCP)      jack@kc1uh        (TCP/IP)
kc1uh@wb1cqo      (AX.25)