[comp.dcom.telecom] Punch-Card Phone Bills

davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts) (10/01/90)

djcl@contact.uucp (woody) writes:

> Here are a few items contained in J Edward Hyde's _The_Phone_Book_, a
> tome that exposes pre-MFJ, pre-divestiture Bell System:

> * billing punch cards: in the good old days when punch cards were sent
> with the phone bills, there was some creative carving done to those cards.
> In one case, a customer cut a few holes in one of those cards. The result
> was free phone service indefinitely. However, someone else did a few
> slices to the card, only to wind up paying for 387 red phones instead of
> a single black one.

The "good old days" are no earlier than 1988, and may still be exist
TODAY in some parts of the country.  While I lived in Prosser, WA
(509-786) the local telco (United Telephone) was still sending out
bills on punch cards.  My first several bills were that way, then one
come with a "We're modernizing our billing system" form letter and
from the next month on their bills were on laserprinted forms.
(Before you ask, no I didn't perform surgery on the punch cards.)

United Tel. in the Yakima Valley was a bit backwards, but nothing like
some complaints I've heard about them in this Digest.  The local
service was very reasonable ($7.50 a month for unlimited local calls),
switches in all but the smallest (less than 1,000 pop.) towns were all
electronic switches.  I never had any problems with my local service
and the service reps. were always pleasant and professional.  On the
day my phone service started, they arranged a phone book to be
delivered by express courier, with a letter thanking me for my
business.

Of course, it *was* easy for them to give me reliable service -- the
Prosser CO was 1/2 a block away!  Also, at that time you could pick
any 1+ LD carrier you wanted -- as long as it was ATT.  There was no
900- or 976- service as they had decided it was too much trouble to
offer blocking as required by the state, so they just turned it off.

Despite its sometimes backward tendencies, I was very pleased with
United Tel., and I was not alone in this attitude.  People in Prosser
were generally pleased with the quality of their phone service.  This
is in contrast with the (mostly GTE) Tri-Cities, where people would
complain long and loud about poor service, indifferent CSR's, and high
rates.