[comp.dcom.telecom] Calling Card Questions

lmg@mtqub.att.com (Lawrence M Geary) (09/29/90)

I have a few telephone calling card questions:

If a calling card has your full phone number on it, will the number
automatically change if your areacode changes? I live in the part of
the 201 area that becomes 908 next year.

Has anyone compared the surcharges and/or rates charged by the
different types of cards? For example, would it be cheaper to use a NJ
Bell card or an AT&T Universal card to make a given call? (And does it
depend on where one is calling?)

Larry Geary: 74017.3065@compuserve.com   lmg@mtqub.att.com

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (10/01/90)

In article <12784@accuvax.nwu.edu> lmg@mtqub.att.com (Lawrence M Geary) writes:

>I have a few telephone calling card questions:

>Has anyone compared the surcharges and/or rates charged by the
>different types of cards? For example, would it be cheaper to use a NJ
>Bell card or an AT&T Universal card to make a given call? (And does it
>depend on where one is calling?)

The Universal card has an automatic 10% discount. If you can use it.
My wife encountered a situation calling from a PBX of unknown long
distance service.

When she tried 10288 she got a response "You're already using AT&T" No
call completion.

When she tried without the 10288, and "operator" came on the line.  He
was talking in the background to someone and paying partial attention
to my wife.

Doesn't sound like an AT&T operator to me.

When she gave the calling number and PIN he said "Too many numbers".

My feeling is that she reached another long distance service and their
programming didn't know about the invalid phone number scheme used for
the calling card number on the Universal Card.

I might get her to try probing the PBX with 700-555-4141, and see what
we get, but I'm not hopeful if they're blocking 10288 with such a
recording.

Any comments. She tried twice, and she's sure she used the correct 14
digits both times.

My slightly divergent comments.

Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6115
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (10/01/90)

Geary) writes:

> If a calling card has your full phone number on it, will the number
> automatically change if your areacode changes? I live in the part of
> the 201 area that becomes 908 next year.

New calling cards will be issued to central NJ customers after the
first of the year, containing your new area code.  For now, I have
found that I can enter my calling card number with either 201 or 908,
the same number, and the same PIN.  Both are acceptable, whether I'm
using MCI or AT&T.

> Has anyone compared the surcharges and/or rates charged by the
> different types of cards? For example, would it be cheaper to use a NJ
> Bell card or an AT&T Universal card to make a given call? (And does it
> depend on where one is calling?)

You don't really have that choice.  NJ Bell's card only works for
intra-LATA calls, while the AT&T card only works for inter-LATA calls.
The Universal Card is less expensive than AT&T's regular Calling Card
for inter-LATA calls, due to the 10% discount.  MCI's card is less
expensive than the Universal Card unless the call lasts long enough
that the higher surcharge for AT&T is offset by the lower per-minute
rate that results from the disocunt.  Is that perfectly clear?

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900 	Fax: 908 647 6857

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/01/90)

I believe your telephone calling card number WILL be updated
automatically if your area code is changed.  (I believe there was a
note to this effect regarding people in what is now 708 in Illinois.)