[comp.dcom.telecom] Proposed 10% Federal Tax on "Electronic Equipment"

Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com> (10/01/90)

Greetings.  On Sunday, September 30, agreement was reached by the
federal budget negotiators on a proposed new budget, including a
variety of program cuts and new/increased taxes.  Ignoring the other
taxes for the moment (e.g. increases in gasoline tax, energy tax,
social security taxes, etc.) there is one brand new tax in the
agreement that might be of particular importance to readers of this
forum.  This is a new "luxury" tax of 10%.  Details are sketchy, but
it apparently is proposed that this tax will apply on items such as
"luxury cars", furs, jewelry, and *electronic equipment*.

As this message is written, it is unclear what that latter category
would include.  Would it include telecommunications and computer
equipment, or "only" televisions, VCR's, stereos, etc. above a certain
selling price?  Would it apply only to individuals, or to business use
of such equipment as well?  Would this tax simply be added on to
existing state and local taxes at the consumer level?

It might be worthwhile for everyone who is involved in the purchase of
"electronic equipment" to carefully track the details of this
significant new proposed tax as they come forth, and make their
opinions known to their House/Senate members (opinions phoned in *do*
get counted by their offices).  At this stage, the budget agreement
has not yet been approved by Congress, and while the leadership will
no doubt wish to have the entire package accepted in one piece, it is
not necessarily the case that changes won't be made.  It is important
that our representatives be informed about the feelings of the
technical community concerning these specific proposals.

 --Lauren--

lmg@mtqub.att.com (Lawrence M Geary) (10/02/90)

In article <12847@accuvax.nwu.edu>, lauren@vortex.com (Lauren
Weinstein) writes:

(Paraphrased):

> On Sunday, September 30, agreement was reached by the federal budget
> negotiators on a proposed new budget, including a variety of program
> cuts and new/increased taxes. There is one brand new tax in the
> agreement that might be of particular importance to readers of this
> forum.  This is a new "luxury" tax of 10% ... [that] will apply on
> items such as "luxury cars", furs, jewelry, and *electronic equipment*.

"Electronic equipment" over $1000. This has the perverse effect of
taxing some basic items like an $1100 stereo receiver while exempting
some "high end" items like $900 phono cartridges. I suppose systems
could be decomposed into individual parts < $1000 each to get around
the tax. God help us if Congress starts to add exemptions and
qualifications to this one.

> It might be worthwhile for everyone who is involved in the purchase of
> "electronic equipment" to carefully track the details of this
> significant new proposed tax as they come forth, and make their
> opinions known to their House/Senate members.

This budget agreement bears all the marks of an unstoppable freight
train.  Congress takes a hatchet to the tax code and federal programs
with no eye toward fairness, consistency or good sense, but with one
goal in mind: squeeze as much additional money out of the taxpayers as
possible. They then brand anyone who objects to these wholesale random
changes as "nit pickers and naysayers". (And that was the
Republicans!) They aren't interested in logical arguments, and they
are braced for the onslaught of protests from every affected group.

Make those electronic purchases you've been putting off *now*.

Larry Geary: 74017.3065@compuserve.com | Turn out a light for Astronomy
	     lmg@mtqub.att.com         |