[comp.dcom.telecom] The 900 Sleaze Keeps Rolling In!

dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael Dorl) (09/30/90)

I received a letter in the mail today saying I won one of three
prizes...

  $5000                                    1/300,000 odds

  $2500                                    5/300,000 odds

  $1000 discount shopping spree            1/1 odds

A careful reading of the small print shows there's a 1/1 chance of
winning the last prize which evidentally allows you to buy something
from their catalog.

The real sleaze in this deal is the $9.00 (3.98 plus 1.97/minute, 2.5
minute minimum) cost of the 900 number call you must call to claim the
prize.  One can claim the prize my US Mail to avoid making this a
lottery (illegal in Wisconsin unless run by the state).

I'm curious about the division of the spoils between the perpetrators
of this sleaze and the phone company.  How does the $9.00 get divided
up between the two LECs and the IXC?

Any of the defenders of the use of 900 service can have my winning
number for the asking :-).

Michael Dorl              (608) 262-0466  fax (608) 262-4679
dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu    MACC / University of Wisconsin - Madison
dorl@wiscmacc.bitnet      1210 W. Dayton St. / Madison, WI 53706

[Moderator's Note: Gosh, that's mighty gracious of you, to share your
discount purchasing power with the rest of us! I so appreciate it I
think I will answer your question. Between the two LEC's and the IXC,
they get about a dollar of it, at most. And there may be only one LEC
involved, since the recipient of your call might have a dish on the
roof and accept the incoming call direct from the 900 service
provider. A sales rep from Telesphere once told me (if I wanted a 900
line) they would charge me fifteen cents per call, and ten cents per
minute of conversation. Anything above that is profit for the owner of
the line.  Some 900 outfits pay all costs and split with you 50/50 on
the revenue from callers. PAT]

bill@toto.info.com (Bill Cerny) (10/02/90)

In article <12801@accuvax.nwu.edu> dorl@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Michael
Dorl) writes:

>The real sleaze in this deal is the $9.00 (3.98 plus 1.97/minute, 2.5
>minute minimum) cost of the 900 number call you must call to claim the
>prize.

>How does the $9.00 get divided up between the two LECs and the IXC?

A summary of usage charges for three national 900 carriers:

IXC		Per Minute*	Billing		Uncollectables

AT&T		0.30/0.25	10% of retail	(incl. with billing)
Sprint		0.35/0.28	(none)		7% (8% for call >$10)
Telesphere	0.46		0.12/call	7% - >30% of retail

*(less than 25,000 minutes/month)

In turn, the LEC gets their normal FG D per minute charge from the IXC.

I don't foresee the audiotex industry policing itself, which means
federal regulation/legislation is inevitable.  The best we could hope
for would include the consumer protection features of Pacific*Bell's
900 service (viz., a "grace period" during which program ID and call
charges are given _before_ billing begins).  Then the "900 = sleaze"
hysteria will fade, and we'll flame somebody else.  ;-)

Humble request: when bashing a 900 program, please include the 900
number (personal theory: Telesphere 900 numbers receive the most
complaints, AT&T the fewest).

Bill Cerny
bill@toto.info.com   |   attmail: !denwa!bill