[comp.dcom.telecom] 9600 Baud on US Sprint

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (10/01/90)

I am looking at getting a US Robotics HST modem and I had heard that
the bandwiths that sprint allows for its calls sometimes block out
9600 baud calls so that it falls back to a lower baud.  Is this true,
or just rumor?

Thanks,

Mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

[Moderator's Note: When we were on this thread some time ago, there
were numerous comments and questions about Sprint's ability to handle
data at very high speeds. John Higdon was one of the main contributors
to that thread. Perhaps on seeing this he will write you and briefly
share his experiences.   PAT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/02/90)

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) writes:

> I am looking at getting a US Robotics HST modem and I had heard that
> the bandwiths that sprint allows for its calls sometimes block out
> 9600 baud calls so that it falls back to a lower baud.  Is this true,
> or just rumor?

I send all of my night Southern California uucp traffic over Sprint
using Telebit modems. There began to be major throughput problems and
even conversation failures. Many calls to Sprint finally netted a
response that the company was now using CCITT-compliant echo
suppression and that they were aware that certain Telebit firmware
releases did not adequately cause the echo suppressors to drop off.

After reading my many postings on the topic, Telebit contacted me and
offered to upgrade my modems. They sent new firmware and since then
there has been no more trouble of any kind on Sprint. To my knowledge,
the HST modems never had any problems; this was strictly a Telebit
Trailblazer+ phenomenon. In no case is this a bandwidth problem, or
even a "slippage" problem.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !