[comp.dcom.telecom] Dynamic Bidding For Cheapest LD Service

"Barton F. Bruce" <BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com> (09/24/90)

I wonder if LECs could get into the LD brokering business in the
following way: I would be perfectly happy if they got a reasonable and
VERY small commission to perform the following service for me.

If there were some way the IXCs could dynamically on a minute by
minute basis advertise their willingness to accept traffic at
substantially lower than normal rate probably in some predefined
steps, the LEC could connect me to the current bargain of the minute
carrier. Perhaps some SS7 message could carry the bid pricing.
Perhaps the 10000 code is unassigned it could be the flag that I was
requesting optimised routing to brokered cutrate service.

Perhaps this optimised routing should be for some flat monthly service
charge rather than a call by call charge.

This could lead to some very interesting off hours pricing, and if the
'big boys' didn't want to bid, maybe some resellers of BIG-BOY's
services would bid, probably forcing everyone to.

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (10/02/90)

In article <12506@accuvax.nwu.edu> BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F.
Bruce) writes:

>If there were some way the IXCs could dynamically on a minute by
>minute basis advertise their willingness to accept traffic at
>substantially lower than normal rate probably in some predefined
>steps, the LEC could connect me to the current bargain of the minute
>carrier. Perhaps some SS7 message could carry the bid pricing.

Uh, oh...

Before you know it, the Chicago Board of Trade would be dealing in
telephone call futures.

I can hear the radio announcer now reading the daily financial report:

"Long distance, NY to LA, for June delivery; closing at $0.10/min,
down $0.02".

Jeff Carroll
carroll@atc.boeing.com