[comp.dcom.telecom] Touch-Tone Dial Layout History

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (10/01/90)

In article <12785@accuvax.nwu.edu> johnp@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (John
Parsons) writes:

> When Touch*Tone first came out, I remember my father griping that
> the number pad was arranged differently from that of ten-key adding
> machines, ...

> Does anyone remember why Bell chose to be different?

	During the late 1950's Bell Labs conducted extensive human
factors studies to ascertain the "ideal" key layout for a pusbutton
dial.  The result was the touch-tone dial layout that we have today.
For those who may be interested, the study was published in the "Bell
System Technical Journal" in July, 1960, and entitled: "Human Factors
Engineering Studies of the Design and Use of Puhbutton Telephone
Sets".

	There were five basic designs tested, having the following
test results:

1.	"Reverse Adding Machine"	1 2 3
	Keying time:	6.01 sec	4 5 6
	% errors:	2.5  %		7 8 9
	Votes for:	3rd		  0
	Votes against:	2nd

2.	"Two Horizontal Rows"
	Keying time:	6.17 sec	1 2 3 4 5
	% errors:	2.3  %		6 7 8 9 0
	Votes for:	1st (most)
	Votes against:	4th

3.	"Two Vertical Rows"		1 2
	Keying time:	6.12 sec	3 4
	% errors:	1.3  %		5 6
	Votes for:	5th (least)	7 8
	Votes against:	1st (most)	9 0

4.	"Telephone Dial"		   3 2
	Keying time:	5.90 sec	 4     1
	% errors:	2.0  %		5
	Votes for:	2nd        	6
	Votes against:	5th (least)	 7     0
					   8 9

5.	"Speedometer"		   	   5 6
	Keying time:	5.97 sec	 4     7
	% errors:	3.0  %		3       8
	Votes for:	4th        	2       9
	Votes against:	3rd       	 1     0

	Note that the chosen key layout was a *compromise*.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) (10/03/90)

> 	There were five basic designs tested, having the following
> test results:

It is interesting to note that the adding machine keypad layout was
not tested.  Perhaps NIH on the part of AT-n-T?

Benjamin Ellsworth                                       ben@cv.hp.com
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.