[comp.dcom.telecom] 202 Area Code Shrinks to DC Proper

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/02/90)

Today, Oct. 1, 1990, is scheduled as full cutover for NPA+7D local
calls in DC area if you are calling across the areacode boundary.

Maryland & Virginia suburbs have been deleted from area code 202.
Attempting to use area code 202 for long distance calls to such points
will get an intercept message telling you that the area code for the
number you dialed is 301 or 703 as the case may be.

Long distance calls to Md. suburbs were, coming into 1987, dialed like
this:

1+7D (from within 301)
1+301+7D (from outside 301)
(or 1+202+7D, except to outer fringes, from inside or outside 301)

The above assumed N0X/N1X area codes (still true) and NNX prefixes.
In 1987, N0X/N1X prefixes were introduced to the DC area, and the
above instruction became:

1+301+7D
(or 1+202+7D, except to outer fringes)

Now, 202 area has been shrunk (although no new area code has been
created), and the above instruction is now:

1+301+7D

All of the above goes for the Va. suburbs, with 703 substituted for 301.

(I "half" doubt that 202 was useable from, say, Laurel [Md.] to the
Va.  suburbs.  Laurel, except for pseudo-foreign prefixes such as 621,
is local to DC but not to Va.)

parker@epiwrl.epi.com (Alan Parker) (10/03/90)

In article <12908@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>Today, Oct. 1, 1990, is scheduled as full cutover for NPA+7D local
>calls in DC area if you are calling across the areacode boundary.

>Now, 202 area has been shrunk (although no new area code has been
>created), and the above instruction is now:
>1+301+7D

>All of the above goes for the Va. suburbs, with 703 substituted for 301.

Not quite.  For calls within the DC metro dialing area, you do not
dial the leading one.  So to call from DC to Silver Spring, MD, you
dial 301-589-XXXX.  Note the metro dialing area includes parts of
three area codes.  The intention is that if you need to dial the
leading 1, then the call is costing you a toll.

As of this writing, I can still call from my office in DC
(202-547-xxxx) to home in MD (301-870-xxxx) without dialing 301.  I
guess they can't reprogram all the switches over night!