[comp.dcom.telecom] Vanity Phone Numbers

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (09/29/90)

I just read that my local phone company, Illinois Bell, is going to
start offering "Vanity" Phone Numbers (i.e. numbers that spell words
which customers will be able to choose themselves) for "only" $38. An
Illinois Bell rep was quoted as saying that Illinois bell charges
"only" $38 because they don't want to gouge their customers. Bend
over, Illinois - up 'til now, you could get a "vanity" number FOR FREE
(I know, I've requested and been given several over the past four
years, and they never cost me a penny extra).  Now we'll have to pay
"only" $38...

Incidentally, this comes immediately after Illinois Bell did away with
our unlimited local calling option here in Central Illinois. :-(

Scott Coleman                                     scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu

Wanted: Specs on the control protocol for the Panasonic AG-1960 VCR. If you
know them or know where I may find them, PLEASE email me! Thanks!!

[Moderator's Note: Previously, we never paid for a number of choice if
the number was within our own CO. We always paid if the number of
choice was outside the CO ... it had to be handled like an FX line.  PAT]

yazz@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Bob Yasi) (10/02/90)

It's worse in California.

The nice thing about $38 is that it's a one-time charge ... you
guessed it; Pac Bell charges recurring monthly fees to Keep a vanity
number.

Bob Yazz

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (10/03/90)

mtxinu!lando.la.locus.com!yazz@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Bob Yasi) writes:

>The nice thing about $38 is that it's a one-time charge ... you
>guessed it; Pac Bell charges recurring monthly fees to Keep a vanity
>number.

Why not just tell Pac Bell to stop charging you for the vanity number
(or just refuse to pay it anymore)?  What can they do, force you onto
a different number?  How can they make sure that the new number
doesn't spell somthing you wanted? :-)

Todd Day |   todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us   |  ucsbcsl!ivucsb!todd

[Moderator's Note: Actually, yes they could force you to change your
number, since your number always remains their property anyway. Your
failure to pay their fee -- however bogus you might think it to be --
would be a good reason for telco to exercise its option.   PAT]