[comp.dcom.telecom] Strange International

Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Jack Winslade) (10/02/90)

While skimming through the back pages of this week's {Village Voice},
you know, the pages with those quasi-slick ads for all of the talk
lines, date lines and dial-a-slut lines, one number stuck out like a
sore thumb.  It was:

011-559-2xxx

There were two footnotes, one stating that 'Normal international rates
will apply' and another stating that 'Normal long-distance rates will
apply'.  The text implied that the numbers had something racier than
permitted in the US.

I know that 55 is the country code for Brazil, but could 9-2xxx
possibly be a valid city code/directory number ??  (Yes, I checked the
Phone Book <tm> and did not find any Brazil city codes beginning with
9.)

Is this a real number in Brazil, or is this just some kind of
numbering anomaly??  I haven't called it.  I'm not >THAT< curious.

Good Day!       JSW

[1:285/666@fidonet] DRBBS - Everything but the kitchen TSYNC.  Omaha

 --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (10/04/90)

Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Jack Winslade) writes:

>While skimming through the back pages of this week's {Village Voice},
>you know, the pages with those quasi-slick ads for all of the talk
>lines, date lines and dial-a-slut lines, one number stuck out like a
>sore thumb.  It was: 011-559-2xxx

We discovered a number advertised in The Netherlands which was written
as 096 114 112. Note that 09 is our 011 equivalent. The scam here was
that the Australian Telecom (country code 61) kicked back part of the
profits for nonexistent area code 14 to the operators of the services
on this switch.  They only implemented this routing on the incoming
exchange, so that nobody from within Australia could call it.

All of this shows that The Phone Companies are into a worldwide plot
and that they make WAY TO MUCH money on international calls. How much
crazier can it get? I pay for call completion, not for sleezball-profits!

>Is this a real number in Brazil, or is this just some kind of
>numbering anomaly??  I haven't called it.  I'm not >THAT< curious.

Qui s'excuse, s'accuse.......

Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl) is also editor of
Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.) Postbus 22953 (in DUTCH)
1100 DL  AMSTERDAM  tel: +31 20 6001480