[comp.dcom.telecom] Joking Reference to 1+

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/02/90)

Dick Bartley (last Saturday night, Sept. 29), on his apparently-
syndicated oldies radio program, gave the request number as
1-800-LIVE-GOLD (yes, 1-800-LIVE-GOL, without the trailing D, is
fine), and said (jokingly) to leave off the leading 1 if it is not
required in your area.  What could have prompted the remark about the
leading 1?

(I had the program tuned in on WQSR-FM, 105.7, Baltimore.)

There are few areas left which do not require the leading 1 in front
of a 10-digit long distance number.  This is true for at least part of
the following areas (I don't know of others):

408 in California
516, 914 in New York
(Use of N0X/N1X prefixes sharply reduced this list.)

[Moderator's Note: Carl, it was probably all very innocent. He's a
radio host, not a telecom enthusiast, or telecom weirdo, as Steve
Elias would say. What would he know about the obligatory one plus? He
was probably reading from a script someone at the radio station gave
him about how to receive phone calls, etc.  PAT]

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (10/04/90)

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

> There are few areas left which do not require the leading 1 in front
> of a 10-digit long distance number.  This is true for at least part of
> the following areas (I don't know of others):

> 408 in California
> 516, 914 in New York
> (Use of N0X/N1X prefixes sharply reduced this list.)

Anchorage, Alaska does not require 1+ to preceed _any_ long-distance
call. (it's all one NPA) That can make for some surprises if you
should mistakenly dial Galena or some such place. Alaska intra-state
rates are also very high. Kenai-Anchorage night rate was 0.10/min when
I lived there ... Kenai-Seattle was only 0.12!

Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu