[comp.dcom.telecom] USEnet PC Access

John Stanley <73765.1026@compuserve.com> (09/24/90)

  Help. I am looking for a cheap PC package that does UUCP mail and
news.  I have a free one that does mail, but no news. Vortex has a
$335 package that does both, but fails the cheap condition. I am
getting really tired of Compuserve time charges, but want NEWS!

  I already have set up contact with a UUCP source (cheap, mail to
info@psi.com), now I need the receiving end. Any ideas/names?

grb@mtuxo.att.com (Gary Becker) (09/26/90)

John,

Read the comp.sys.ibm.pc and comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest newsgroups.  An
article describing USEnet PC Access is posted or requested every few
weeks.  I seem to recall articles that said public domain USEnet PC
software is available from SIMTEL.  Please ask on that newsgroup about
access to SIMTEL.  I've not personally retrieved software from the
SIMTEL archives, and so am not the best person to go to for advice on
it.

If you find cheap, but not public domain, uucp software I'd be
interested in the source.  My employer has a policy, to prevent
viruses, of no use of public domain software on company PC's.

Gary Becker

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (09/28/90)

grb@mtuxo.att.com (Gary Becker) writes:

> If you find cheap, but not public domain, uucp software I'd be
> interested in the source.  My employer has a policy, to prevent
> viruses, of no use of public domain software on company PC's.

I have written to the original poster, but it appears this may have
some general interest.

Waffle is a PC (and Unix) netmail/netnews/UUCP package. I use it for
my node, and find it quite robust. Source is available, as well. (I
think it's about $120 for PC source) It's shareware, not public
domain.

The shareware executable distribution is available on SIMTEL as
PD2:<MSDOS2.BBS>WAF163.ZIP.

One caveat: if you want to take 16-bit compressed batches of news,
you'll need a different version of compress than the one supplied.

OB disclaimer ... I didn't write it (Tom Dell did, and a fine job it
is!), I just use it and like it.

Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu

harrism@omhftre.raidernet.com (Mark Harris) (09/28/90)

73765.1026@compuserve.com (John Stanley) writes:

> Help. I am looking for a cheap PC package that does UUCP mail and
> news. I already have set up contact with a UUCP source (cheap, mail to
> info@psi.com), now I need the receiving end. Any ideas/names?

Try the Waffle BBS system.  Dial 408-245-7726.  It works.  It's good.
It's worth the registration of around $30.

Mark Harris
UUCP: ...!uunet!mjbtn!raider!omhftre!harrism
Domain: harrism@omhftre.raidernet.com

cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu (Fubar) (10/04/90)

FSUUCP Version 1.1 release 5 is the most current version of FSUUCP.

FSUUCP implements a UUCP/Usenet transfer protocol for MSDOS based
machines.  It comes complete with a full 7 window uucico, uuxqt with
rnews and rmail capability, mail, readnews, postnews, uuq, uusnap, and
news utilities like batcher and expire. Unlike other packages, FSUUCP
implements these programmes as DOS commands directly. By putting the
executables on your PATH, and setting an environment variable pointing
to your configuration file, you can have UNIX mail and news on your
MSDOS machine from the prompt, just like UNIX.

To get a copy of FSUUCP:

1. Get it via anonymous FTP from polyslo.calpoly.edu. The file name will
   be fsuu11r5.zip.

   The current naming convention is fsuu[VV]r[R].zip, where VV is the version
   number in V.V format, and R is the release number. In this case, fsuu11r5
   means version 1.1, release 5.

   Check occasionally on polyslo to be sure you have the latest version.

2. Mail us the $35 shareware registration and we will mail you back a disk
   with a registered copy. Please specify:

   A. 3.5" 720K
   B. 5.25" 1.2Meg

3. Mail us a self-addressed stamped disk mailer with either formatted 5.25"
   1.2 Meg or 3.5" 720K or 1.44Meg disk. ***NO 360K DISKS!!!***

Registered users remain registered through all major revisions, or for
a full year from time of registering, whichever is longer. That is, if
you register your copy of 1.1, you are still registered through 1.2,
1.3, ..., 1.x, and all releases of these versions, and you are also
still registered regardless of the version for a full year.

Note that if you choose method 3, you DO NOT need to send the
registration until/if you decide to use FSUUCP.

And, as always, any bug reports or wishlists will be addressed for
future releases.

Coming Soon: FSBBS 2.0, Fubar Systems BBS with FSUUCP 1.x integrated
into the package, plus local boards, DYM, games, files, textfiles,
complete full-screen sysop utilities, termcap capability, scheduler,
complete development package available, fully expandable, pant pant
pant. All this, and shareware too.

ADDRESS FOR SENDING DISK:

Fubar Systems
FSUUCP Request
1525 Mill #6
San Luis Obispo, Ca
93401-2543

(805) 54-FUBAR  -- BBS (FSBBS 2.0 prototype system)
(805) 544-9234  -- Voice support

For more information, send mail to: support@fubarsys.com

++Christopher(); --- cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu --- chris@fubarsys.com