[comp.dcom.telecom] Call Quality to Japan: AT&T vs. MCI

nxh@meaddata.com (Nobuya Higashiyama) (09/25/90)

I found that there's a significant difference in call quality when
calling Japan from Dayton, OH between AT&T and MCI.  I used to use
MCI, and I had to put up with frequent dropouts, noise, etc.  This
seemed to happen on just about every call I made.  I switched to AT&T,
and the dropouts disappeared completely and the noise is now quite
tolerable.  I'd like to know if anyone else has had the same
experience, or if mine is an isolated case.

Nobuya "Higgy" Higashiyama
Mead Data Central, Dayton, OH
meaddata!nxh@uunet.uu.net (temporary) or
nxh@meaddata.com or uunet!meaddata!nxh

wje@decwrl.dec.com (Bill Ezell) (10/04/90)

In <12575@accuvax.nwu.edu> nxh@meaddata.com (Nobuya Higashiyama) writes:

>I found that there's a significant difference in call quality when
>calling Japan from Dayton, OH between AT&T and MCI...

We use AT&T for all of our international data calls, primarily to
Japan, and a block reseller (Long Distance North) for all of our voice
lines and domestic data calls.  We found AT&T to be the only one that
could provide relatively clean lines that didn't drive our
Trailblazers to distraction, or at least low throughput.

Bill Ezell
Software Innovations, Inc.
wje@siia.mv.com
(603) 883-9300