[comp.dcom.telecom] Supervision / Call Forwarding No Answer

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (10/01/90)

What do LD carriers do when they dial a number that the destination CO
has programmed as a "call forward - no answer", and the number
forwarded to is busy?  In this situation, the caller hears a few
rings, and then a busy signal.  Surely this will confuse people who
call me and don't know that I'm a telecom weirdo...  But what about
the "supervision" return codes to the originating CO?  If someone
calls long distance and this happens, will they get billed because of
the change in cadence from ringing to busy?

eli

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/03/90)

On Oct 2 at  2:40, Steve Elias <eli@pws.bull.com> writes:

> What do LD carriers do when they dial a number that the destination CO
> has programmed as a "call forward - no answer", and the number
> forwarded to is busy?  In this situation, the caller hears a few
> rings, and then a busy signal.  Surely this will confuse people who
> call me and don't know that I'm a telecom weirdo...  But what about
> the "supervision" return codes to the originating CO?  If someone
> calls long distance and this happens, will they get billed because of
> the change in cadence from ringing to busy?

Steve, as a telecom weirdo (TM), you must be aware that long distance
companies (including Sprint) use the traditional supervisory signal
that is not related in any way to what is happening on the audio path.
When the distant phone is actually answered, the distant CO notifies
the originated CO ALL THE WAY through the IXC (if one is used) via
positive means that depends not on any sound made at the distant end.

In the old days, this was represented by a reversal of battery on the
line or inter-office trunk. In the days of long distance MF signaling,
removal of 2600 Hz indicated supervision or "reversal". Now, of
course, supervision in indicated through the CCIS control channel.

Those two-bit LD companies that still "guess" at supervision generally
use a simple timeout -- if the customer stays on the line for more than
a preset limit, then supervision is assumed. I'm aware of none that
actually "listen" for an answer. Actually, that would be superior to a
timeout.

In the case of COCOTs (that DO listen for stuff on the line), this
would probably not confuse them. Most "listening" COCOTs check for the
asymetrical signature of the human voice. A mixture of ringing and
busy (both pre-supervision sounds) would probably not result in your
coin being collected.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (10/04/90)

In article <12907@accuvax.nwu.edu> eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) writes:

>What do LD carriers do when they dial a number that the destination CO
>has programmed as a "call forward - no answer", and the number
>forwarded to is busy?  In this situation, the caller hears a few
>rings, and then a busy signal.

Are you really sure it works this way?  Is a PBX involved?  The rule
used to be (and STILL should be) that CFDA (call forwarding-don't
answer) should only be sent to a number in the SAME SWITCH.  The
reason for this is the concern you expressed about the confusing
progress of the call and the posibility of the supervision getting
fouled up as the call is passed to another switch.  If the call stays
in the same switch, the status of the forwarded-to line is known and
the call will NOT progress if that number is busy; the called line
will just continue to ring.  This in itself is a little confusing
since it makes it appear that the call forwarding has stopped working.

Having said all that, the situation will likely change with the
implementation of CCIS/SS7.  When it becomes possible to find the
status of the forwarded-to line via an SS7 query, it should then be
possible to CFDA outside the office and allow the call to progress
only if the line is not busy.  Switch boundaries become somewhat
blurred with SS7.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

[Moderator's Note: You might be interested in knowing that your parent
company Ameritech offers 'call transfer: busy/no answer' to cellular
customers and it is NOT confined to the same CO, same LATA, or even
the same area code. *71 on Ameritech cellular is immediate call
forwarding; *72 is transfer on busy/no answer. I transfer from my 312
cellular number to my 708 voice mail number in the Centel CO. Cellular
One offers the same thing here. On an unanswered call, the caller
hears three or four rings, then a few seconds of silence as the call
is withdrawn and sent to my voicemail. Then the caller hears the
ringing resume again, or a busy signal. On both Cellular One and
Ameritech Mobile, the 'if BY/DA' number is programmed each time it is
used as desired by the user. Yet when I called Illinois Bell, I was
told it was available for my residence phone, but the CO had to
program it (all I would do is turn it on/off via *72/*73) and that it
had to stay in the same CO.  What does Ameritech know they are not
telling Illinois Bell?  PAT]

jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (10/04/90)

In Volume 10 : Issue 706, John Higdon wrote about switches 'listening'
for an answer rather than using a default timeout.

Here at RIT, we have a System 85. I had always assumed that it handled
call supervision properly. One of the company's tech support
department that I deal with has a policy of letting calls ring, until
they can take it, so that callers don't have to pay to wait on hold.

I spent four or five hours on hold one month, and was really surprised
by the bill when it came (most of the calls were short after they
finally answered. It turns out, the switch uses a 45 second time out.
What a drag.

Jeff Wasilko
RIT Communcations

brent@uunet.uu.net (Brent Capps) (10/05/90)

In article <12985@accuvax.nwu.edu>, kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken
Abrams) writes:

>>[stuff about call transfer feature encountering a busy signal]

> Are you really sure it works this way?  Is a PBX involved?  The rule
> used to be (and STILL should be) that CFDA (call forwarding-don't
> answer) should only be sent to a number in the SAME SWITCH.  The
> reason for this is the concern you expressed about the confusing
> progress of the call and the posibility of the supervision getting
> fouled up as the call is passed to another switch.

[Moderator states that Ameritech call transfer is not confined to
the same CO, LATA or even area code]

When the CF feature is datafilled for a particular line on a Northern
PBX/Centrex CO (and this probably holds true for AT&T equipment as
well), the craftsperson has the option of blocking the second leg of
the call from being extended along a trunk.  The reason for this has
nothing to do with supervision difficulty.  It has to do with
preventing Joe Blow from forwarding his work phone at SchmuckCo
Industries to Grandma's number in Ulan Bator, then going home and
dialling his work number, causing the call to be forwarded to
Grandma's number while Joe only gets charged for a local call
(SchmuckCo Industries eats the rest of it, because the forwarding
party pays for the second leg).

The same thing goes for the 3WC feature.  Supervision is not 'passed
along' to the next switch; instead the CF software on SchmuckCo
Industries' PBX or Centrex CO determines that it needs to hold the
first leg while originating the second leg to Grandma's number in Ulan
Bator.  When she answers, both legs of the call are condensed onto a
three-port conference bridge.  The PBX or Centrex CO continues to
monitor the connection for billing purposes; when it sees a disconnect
from either party it tears down the call.

By the way, international calls can be selectively blocked by 3WC/CF
as well.

Brent Capps                          uunet:  ...!kentrox!brent
Kentrox Ind., Inc.                   pstn:   (503) 643-1681 x325
Portland, OR                         "insert standard disclaimer here"