[comp.dcom.telecom] Two-Way Radio/Telephone Dispatch Interface

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (09/22/90)

I am looking for a device that can go between the telco line side of a
key telephone system and a two-way radio system.  The operator of the
device pushes the line button on the key telephone associated with
this device, and audio from the radio system is patched into the
telephone.  The operator can then press a footswitch to key the
push-to-talk circuit of the radio, and talk over the radio using an
operator's headset that is part of the telephone.

I thought of using a ringdown circuit between a line position on the
key system and one of those simplex autopatches, but there must be a
simpler solution that does not require the ringing voltage from the
ringdown circuit, and provides it's own battery feed to the phone
system.  I also would not need the sampling that the simplex patch
provides which allows a mobile unit to access the phone system.  This
is a very simple patch that would be under control of the operator.

Is there a stand-alone unit that would do this?  I know that Plant
Equipment has a card (the 3134 KTU Radio Access) that does this, but
only as part of their whole key system.

If anyone has some thoughts on this and cannot reach me via email, you
can call me from 7:40am to 3:50pm Pacific Time weekdays at
800-824-9719 or 206-881-7000, and ask for PAUL COOK.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544      Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or,  tad@ssc.UUCP

Dave_JOHNSTON%01%SRJC@odie.santarosa.edu (09/24/90)

In <TELECOM Digest V10 #668>, Tad Cook <tad@ssc.UUCP> wrote:

>I am looking for a device that can go between the telco line side of a
>key telephone system and a two-way radio system.  The operator of the

I've had experience with a product from Selectone.  This name should
be familiar to anyone in the Two-Way world.  They're a manufacturer of
tone encoding and decoding products.

I had a customer install one and its worked great.  If need be I can
get the model number etc.

Basically, it just looked like a CO line to the key system.  It is VOX
operated with a delay so there is no need for footswitches etc.  The
user just picks up the phone and talks.  It also can ring the phone.
Its selectable to allow three microphone clicks, DTMF, or PL (Private
Line for all you non-radio people ... a Motorola name for CTCSS sub-
audible tone encoding) to trigger the unit to ring the phone.

I highly recommend it.  The customer is a radio station and they
certainly put it through it's paces.  Its been in service for several
months without a hitch.

Dave Johnston                                  johnston@Odie.SantaRosa.EDU
Supervisor, Campus Data/Telecom                  Santa Rosa Junior College
Phone:  +1 707 527 4853                1501 Mendocino Ave, S.R., CA  95401

mwilson@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Wilson) (09/26/90)

In article <12459@accuvax.nwu.edu> tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

>Is there a stand-alone unit that would do this?  I know that Plant
>Equipment has a card (the 3134 KTU Radio Access) that does this, but
>only as part of their whole key system.

I have used the Plant Equipment 3134 KTU in generic 1A2 Key Systems
with no problems.  It was the perfect solution.

Mike Wilson  Phone: (415) 604-6846   mwilson@orion.arc.nasa.gov

nagle@uunet.uu.net (John Nagle) (09/28/90)

>In <TELECOM Digest V10 #668>, Tad Cook <tad@ssc.UUCP> wrote:

>>I am looking for a device that can go between the telco line side of
>>a key telephone system and a two-way radio system.

     This is how it all started.  Remember Carterfone?

John Nagle

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (10/05/90)

In article <12757@accuvax.nwu.edu>, decwrl!well.sf.ca.us!well!nagle
(John Nagle) writes:

> >In <TELECOM Digest V10 #668>, Tad Cook <tad@ssc.UUCP> wrote:

> >>I am looking for a device that can go between the telco line side of
> >>a key telephone system and a two-way radio system.

>This is how it all started.  Remember Carterfone?

No, I am not looking for something to connect from a telco line to a
two-way radio.  I just want to be able to control the radio from a
spare CO line position on the key telephone.  No connection to the
public switched network at all.

Simplex autopatches are common, and they will connect the radio to the
telephone line.  I want something that makes the radio look like a
phone line to the telephone ... without any ringing.  The telephone
only needs to contact the radio, not the other way around.