[comp.dcom.telecom] Equivalents of 800/900/976/911 Numbers in the Netherlands

hansm@cs.kun.nl (Hans Mulder) (10/03/90)

In an article that has expired before I found the time to type this
in, somebody asked about the equivalents of 800/900/976 numbers in
other countries.

In the Netherlands PTT Telecom has managed to confuse everybody by
creating a single new area code (06) containing the equivalents of
both 800 and 900 numbers.  The Consumers' Association has demanded
that the toll numbers be changed into 07 numbers, but since all 07X
area codes are already in use, this is not possible.

Instead PTT Telecom have inserted a sticker into our phone bill.  The
text translates to:

	Green 06 numbers are free.
	Remember, for non-free 06-numbers:
	Don't hesitate to call, but be aware of the cost.

In case you're wondering: "green" numbers are defined as free 06-numbers.

PTT Telecom also produced a flyer "what everybody should know about 06
numbers".  It contains a useful table:

if it begins	it costs

06-0...		free
06-11		15 to 30 c/min		equivalent of 911
06-320...	50 c/min.
06-321...	3 to 40 c/min
06-399...	3 to 40 c/min
06-4...		free
06-5...		peak: 105 c/min		mobile telephones
		weekend: 62 c/min
06-8...		3 to 40 c/min
06-9...		50 c/min.

All prices are approximate.  For one thing, the real price is 1
message unit (15 c) per X seconds.  Plus, they reserve the right to
change the tariff without prior notice.

There is no 06-[3589] blocking for residential customers.  They do
provide 06-blocking for PBXs.  This also blocks 06-11.

Next time I'll tell you about the night when PTT Telecom intended to
demonstrate that 06 was also usable as the choke exchange and found
out the hard way that it was not.

All typos are mine,

Hans Mulder	hansm@cs.kun.nl

d-lemson@uiuc.edu (David Lemson) (10/03/90)

>PTT Telecom also produced a flyer "what everybody should know about 06
>numbers".  It contains a useful table:

>06-5...  peak: 105 c/min  mobile telephones
> weekend: 62 c/min

Does this mean that the caller of a mobile phone has to pay a special
surcharge as well as the owner of the mobile phone?  That seems like a
raw deal, because business owners who have mobile phones cannot
advertise that you can call them out on the road as a "free call"!

David Lemson d-lemson@uiuc.edu

phons@erato.cs.kun.nl (Phons Bloemen) (10/04/90)

hansm@cs.kun.nl (Hans Mulder) writes:

>There is no 06-[3589] blocking for residential customers.  They do
>provide 06-blocking for PBXs.  This also blocks 06-11.

Yes, PTT provides 06 blocking (but they charge 35 guilders for it, maybe
to cover the 'lost revenues' for the exploitaints of chatlines etcetera
But the tariff policy at least does not allow the famous 900 sleaze
where the Americans are so proud of :=), but is still possible to get a
HUGE phone bill if you are addicted to chat lines and 'babbelboxen').

But it is easy to do it yourself: In various electronics magazines,
'intelligent 06 and 09 (international dialing code from NL) filters'
are presented, which can block out the expensive services, and pass
the free ones. Totally self-configurable!  I don't think the PTT block
also blocks emergency 06-11 but maybe you have some more info on this.

Hans

Phons Bloemen       +31 80 236769  phons@cs.kun.nl
Sophiaweg 244 6523 NJ Nijmegen NL  Uni.of Nijmegen,Dept of Computer Science

cmylod@oracle.nl (Colum Mylod) (10/05/90)

Minor corrections and a bit extra to the article <12935@accuvax.nwu.edu>
hansm@cs.kun.nl (Hans Mulder) now follows.  Stay on the line!

>if it begins	it costs
>06-0...		free
>06-11		15 to 30 c/min		equivalent of 911
>06-320...	50 c/min.

 06-340...      same
 06-350...      same

>06-321...	3 to 40 c/min
>06-399...	3 to 40 c/min
>06-4...		free
>06-5...		peak: 105 c/min		mobile telephones
>		weekend: 62 c/min
>06-8...		3 to 40 c/min
>06-9...		50 c/min.

Generally, dial-a-sex type calls are 06-3 ...  while "respectable" if
costly calls such as weather reports are 06-9 ... The confusing bit is
that the number length varies from short (0611) to medium (060402) to
very very long (see below!).

>There is no 06-[3589] blocking for residential customers.  They do
>provide 06-blocking for PBXs.  This also blocks 06-11.

According to the 'phone book I have, residental blocking IS available,
cost is a once-off f35 (~US$18). PBX blocking cuts off any 06 numbers,
but PTT-blocking just cuts 06-320, 06-340, 06-350 and 06-9. Bad idea
to cut 06-11 even if it costs. How many countries charge for calls to
their emergency numbers? I envision someone in a panic at a payphone
while some car victim is bleeding and the caller madly searching for
coins so that an emergency call can be made.

One aspect of the 06 service is that all mobiles are grouped under
06-5...  numbers. This includes carphones, pagers, cellular. A number
I came across for a high-pressure cleaning firm must count as the
world's most-clicks call for pulse-dialers. Don't call it unless you
want to do business. It is given in a guide as "06520000000", which
makes 93 clicks total! Yes, that's seven zeros on the end.

Colum Mylod      cmylod@oracle.nl     The Netherlands     Above is IMHO