[comp.dcom.telecom] Which Came First?

johnp@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (John Parsons) (09/29/90)

When Touch*Tone first came out, I remember my father griping that the
number pad was arranged differently from that of ten-key adding
machines, i.e.,

    1 2 3                        7 8 9
    4 5 6   on the phone, vs.    4 5 6  on calculators.
    7 8 9                        1 2 3
      0 			 0

Does anyone remember why Bell chose to be different?  (I assume ten-key
adders came first).

How are the number pads arranged on European or Asian phones?  The
last time I was in a telco building (1975), dir assisters looked in
paper directories and test boards had rotary dials.  Do the keyboards
of today's operator consoles have the same number pads as us mortals
(7 8 9 on the top), or do they have 1 2 3 on the top row, as on
phones?  Have I reached max_num_of_trivia_questions_per_posting yet? ;-)

Thanks,

John Parsons

"Roeber, Frederick" <roeber@portia.caltech.edu> (09/30/90)

In article <12785@accuvax.nwu.edu>, johnp@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (John
Parsons) writes...

>How are the number pads arranged on European or Asian phones?  ...

The pushbutton phones I've seen in France had keypads arranged the
same way as American phones.  The pushbutton phones here at CERN
(obtained from the Swiss PTT) also have the same keypad, with a couple
of additions for the usual extra PBX services: an `R' to the left of
the `7' and a red dot to the left of the `*'.

Frederick G. M. Roeber | e-mail: roeber@caltech.edu or roeber@vxcern.cern.ch
r-mail: CERN/SL-CO, 1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland | telephone: +41 22 767 5373

David Lemson <FREE0612@uiucvmd> (10/01/90)

In a message of Fri, 28 Sep 90 , John Parsons <johnp@hpgrla.gr.hp.com>
writes:

>How are the number pads arranged on European or Asian phones?

     The ones I've seen have been just like ours, but I haven't seen
Eastern Europe, etc.  In the older areas (and many countries), you're
more likely to see rotary dial phones.  Some countries don't handle
Touch-Tone (tm), so the only pushbutton phones you see are actually
pulse.  The country I'm thinking about here is Israel, but this
situation is changing (slowly).

>The last time I was in a telco building (1975), dir assisters
>looked in paper directories and test boards had rotary dials.  Do the
>keyboards of today's operator consoles have the same number pads as
>us mortals (7 8 9 on the top), or do they have 1 2 3 on the top row,
>as on phones?

     The only telco building I've seen recently was this year in an
AT&T Office in Washington, D.C. that handled operator assistance for
NPAs 202 and 703.  The setup they had there was the newest equipment
AT&T has, according the guy that showed us around.  There was no large
board with lighted buttons, the equipment consisted of a large (approx
100 key) keyboard, paper white monochrome screen, and earpiece/
microphone.  When a call came in, the operator would see the person's
number and the number they were trying to reach (if they dialed
0+NPA+NXX+XXXX).  If it was a collect call, the operator typed in the
caller's name, and hit one button as the call was placed by the
computer.

The operator asked if they would accept the charges, and one more
button connected the two.  Also, on the keyboards, they could make it
so that the caller could not hear the callee, the caller could hear
but not talk to the callee, or make it a full connection.  Many of the
calls involved one keypress to connect, five to ten seconds of talking
to the caller, and one keypress to disconnect from the operator.  The
operators seemed to like this setup better than the old boards with so
much work.  However, this also seems to make the setup a little more
Big Brotherish, as the AT&T corporate people can instantly see how
productive any certain operator is.  In this room with the operators,
they had several large LED message annunciators that put up messages
like "Good job Jeannie!"  I suppose the negative messages were saved
for review time with the supervisors.  In response to your question,
in this setup, if the operator has to enter a number, it gets entered
just as you might enter it on your computer's number keypad, with the
789 across the top.

Incidentally, in that same building, they had the last cord-board
setup still in use by AT&T.  It's the national TTY (service for the
deaf) directory assistance center.  Each operator has a cord board
with several incoming and outgoing lines, a PC, and a Baudot modem.
The accounting for these calls is all done by hand -- they figure that
the operator has so much time available waiting for slow typists that
they can fill out cards for each call.  And in this setup, when a
typical caller asked for the relay station in Wherever, Pennsylvania,
the operator got out the phone book and looked it up.  (No
computerized DA here!)

Sandy Kyrish <0003209613@mcimail.com> (10/01/90)

Regarding why touch-tone pads put the "1" on the top left while adding
machines put the "7" on the top left ... In 1983, I was doing
historical research and I read that the early Touch-Tone pads WERE
configured like adding machine pads -- but the early electronic
switching systems couldn't handle rapid entry of DTMF, and people
proficient with adding machines could literally "outdo" the switch.
Bell engineers flipped the keypad to slow these people down.  If this
is indeed true, will some loyal TC reader please tell me where I found
that reference?  I've often wanted to quote this vignette but can
never remember just where I read it.

Thanks,

Sandy Kyrish, MCI Mail 320-9613

gabe@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu (Gabe Wiener) (10/01/90)

Parsons) writes:

>When Touch*Tone first came out, I remember my father griping that the
>number pad was arranged differently from that of ten-key adding
>machines

>Does anyone remember why Bell chose to be different?  (I assume ten-key
>adders came first).

If Bell had arranged the keys in calculator order, the alphabet on the
keys wouldn't have followed in any logical way.

Gabe Wiener - Columbia Univ.
gabe@ctr.columbia.edu
gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
72355.1226@compuserve.com

ballerup@diku.dk (Per G|tterup) (10/01/90)

johnp@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (John Parsons) writes:

=> When Touch*Tone first came out, I remember my father griping that the
=> number pad was arranged differently from that of ten-key adding
=> machines, i.e.,

=>     1 2 3                        7 8 9
=>     4 5 6   on the phone, vs.    4 5 6  on calculators.
=>     7 8 9                        1 2 3
=>       0 			    0

[ stuff deleted ]

=> How are the number pads arranged on European or Asian phones?  The

[ other questions deleted ]

Well, on phones here in Denmark (which is in Europe) we use a layout like
the calculator shown above, i.e.:

	7 8 9
	4 5 6
	1 2 3
	0 * #

On some phones we have those extra four buttons, although they're not
used for anything here. Then the layout is:

	7 8 9 A
	4 5 6 B
	1 2 3 C
	0 * # D

BTW, since 1979 it has been impossible to get rotary phones here, and
only those remaining from before that time still uses pulse dialing.
Touch tone is (of course) free.

I hope you can use that info.

Per Gotterup
Student, DIKU (Inst. of Comp. Sci.)
University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Internet: ballerup@freja.diku.dk

ashbya@uunet.uu.net (Adam J. Ashby) (10/01/90)

In <12835@accuvax.nwu.edu> roeber@portia.caltech.edu (Roeber,
Frederick) writes:

>The pushbutton phones I've seen in France had keypads arranged the
>same way as American phones.

Amazingly enough, in England too we have managed to arrange our
buttons the same way as America - amazing eh?

Adam Ashby  ...!uunet!motcid!ashbya  +1 708 632 3876

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (10/01/90)

Parsons) writes:

> When Touch*Tone first came out, I remember my father griping that the
> number pad was arranged differently from that of ten-key adding
> machines, i.e.,

> Does anyone remember why Bell chose to be different?  (I assume ten-key
> adders came first).

	Every time I lecture on the subject of phones and there is a
bean counter in the audience I get asked this question. Usually from
the perspective that the calculator model ("Ten Key") is perfect and
the AT&T model is an aberration. My response, which is often not well
received by the bean counters, is below. I am not sure how true it is,
some or all of it may be folklore. I have gleaned it over the years. I
believe there is a Bell paper on this, but have never located it.

	Back in the old days when AT&T was designing Touch Tone, they
had to lay out the dial. This was late fifties, early sixties. I am
not sure when the 10 key adding machine replaced the comptometer, but
it was in this era. This was an era before the $5.00 calculator. This
was when electric adding machines were expensive, large, noisy, beasts
and only used by bean counters.

	So AT&T needed a number pad. They really had no model, so they
ran experiments to determine which was the easiest to use with the
least errors. The clear winner was the 2X5 (Two columns, five rows) as
below:

                            12
                            34
                            56
                            78
                            90

	The problem with the 2X5 is that it doesn't fit too well on
the front panel of a standard desk phone. The next winner was the 3X4
which is what most of the world uses today:

                           123
                           456
                           789
                            0

	Now obviously if the same research was being done today, the
ubiquitousness of the electronic calculator would have an influence.
This brings me to the next comment.

> How are the number pads

Arranged on European or Asian phones?

	In Denmark, the Touch Tone pads are "Upside down". This is
mainly because the Danes moved into Touch Tone in the late seventies
and by that time everyone had a calculator and expected that number
pads had 789 in the top row. But Denmark is the only exception I know
of. In many countries, Touch Tone is still being introduced.

> Do the keyboards
> of today's operator consoles have the same number pads as us mortals
> (7 8 9 on the top), or do they have 1 2 3 on the top row, as on
> phones?

	Operator consoles follow normal telco practice. By the way,
TIE once had a combined calculator/phone. I never saw one, so I wonder
what the number pad was like.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (10/02/90)

In article <12837@accuvax.nwu.edu>, 0003209613@mcimail.com (Sandy
Kyrish) writes:

> Regarding why touch-tone pads put the "1" on the top left while adding
> machines put the "7" on the top left ... In 1983, I was doing
> historical research and I read that the early Touch-Tone pads WERE
> configured like adding machine pads -- but the early electronic
> switching systems couldn't handle rapid entry of DTMF, and people
> proficient with adding machines could literally "outdo" the switch.
> Bell engineers flipped the keypad to slow these people down.  If this
> is indeed true, will some loyal TC reader please tell me where I found
> that reference?  I've often wanted to quote this vignette but can
> never remember just where I read it.

An interesting story, but not true.  Research was done on button order
at (AT&T) Bell Laboratories in the late fifties by Dick Deininger and
others, and published in the Bell System Technical Journal.  They
found that the 1-2-3 order was best, i.e. faster with fewer errors,
for people who were not familiar with keypads.  In those days, of
course, calculators were mechanical and used by a relatively small
part of the population.  Individuals who were used to the 7-8-9 order
of course were faster on that pattern.  Since most of the population
of prospective telephone keypad users were not trained on 7-8-9, the
1-2-3 pattern was chosen.

Similar studies were performed in Sweden, with similar results.  It
was because of these human factor studies that CCITT standardized on
the now familiar 1-2-3 pattern.

Herman Silbiger
hsilbiger@attmail.com

jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Jim Breen) (10/02/90)

Parsons) writes:

> When Touch*Tone first came out, I remember my father griping that the
> number pad was arranged differently from that of ten-key adding
> machines, i.e.,

>     1 2 3                        7 8 9
>     4 5 6   on the phone, vs.    4 5 6  on calculators.
>     7 8 9                        1 2 3
>       0 			 0

> Does anyone remember why Bell chose to be different?  (I assume ten-key
> adders came first).

As I have heard it, the ISO standard for numeric keypads antedated the
CCITT recommendation. When CCITT "studied" the keypad layout, AT&T
representatives refused point-blank to compromise, and CCITT
(cravenly) gave in.

All praise to those (few) PTTs which held out and adopted the ISO
version.

An anecdote. When Telecom Autralia introduced Touchfones in the mid
1970s, the Standards Association of Australia (our equivalent of ANSI)
had a gentle correspondence battle with Telecom, trying to convince it
to use the ISO layout. In its replies to SAA, Telecom stated that
"overseas studies" had shown that there was no confusion when the two
layouts were used simultaneously on a desk, e.g. on a phone and a VDU
keyboard. Quite coincidently, Telecom was insisting that all the VDUs
it purchased had the numeric keypads reversed to the CCITT format. The
reason stated in the documentation was "to prevent confusion with
telephone keypads." Plus ca change, plus ca la meme chose.

     Jim Breen ($B%8%`(J) (jwb@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au) Dept of
           Robotics & Digital Technology. Monash University
            PO Box 197 Caulfield East VIC 3145 Australia
              (ph) +61 3 573 2552 (fax) +61 3 573 2745

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (10/02/90)

It's odd how the brain works - I can dial a TT phone or use a 10-key
layout quite rapidly.  My fingers just "know" what to do.  However,
I'm sure many of you have experienced the strange feel and slowness of
entering a phone number on the computer keybord for the modem - it
just doesn't "feel" right!

levine@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Leonard P Levine) (10/03/90)

 From article <12881@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by julian@bongo.uucp (Julian
Macassey):

> 	So AT&T needed a number pad. They really had no model, so they
> ran experiments to determine which was the easiest to use with the
> least errors. The clear winner was the 2X5 (Two columns, five rows) as
> below:

>                             12
>                             34
>                             56
>                             78
>                             90

Ever notice how nice the PC function keys used to feel on the pre-101
key keyboard?

Just like this right?

Leonard P. Levine                    e-mail levine@cs.uwm.edu
Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719
Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              FAX    (414) 229-6958

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (10/03/90)

Phil, the guy whose answering machine messages caused such a problem
in the 60's, had an accountant that got TT service as soon as it was
offered.  He had a fit about the pad layout, and Phil disassembled the
pads in all his phones and made them "correct" i.e:

	7 8 9
	4 5 6
	1 2 3
	  0

by swapping the buttons and moving a few wires. (the things we do to
get our tax returns done on time;_]) He really wanted
	0

for the bottom row, but if you remember how the pads were made, you
KNOW why Phil talked him out of THAT.

Things were fine for years until Mr._Tax's flunky called 611 to get
one of the 1500's fixed. When the Greenie showed up, he had a fit:
vandalizing PHONE COMPANY property and all the rest of that bs. But
the accountant stood his ground, and refused to give up the set. The
poor repairman had to actually *fix* the phone and not just swap it
out.  After that, they just called us over to fix their phones......

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu		(305) 255-RTFM

msb@sq.com (Mark Brader) (10/03/90)

> In Denmark, the Touch Tone pads are "Upside down".

Norway, too, has the 789 at the top.  I found this amusing, because,
as Telecom readers know, Norway is also one of the few places in the
world where DIAL telephones are numbered backwards.  But whereas the
backward dial is not used in Oslo, the upside-down keypad is
apparently used throughout the country.

Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com

oheare@uunet.uu.net (David O'Heare) (10/04/90)

In article <12881@accuvax.nwu.edu>, julian@bongo.uucp (Julian
Macassey) writes:

> Operator consoles follow normal telco practice. By the way,
> TIE once had a combined calculator/phone. I never saw one, so I wonder
> what the number pad was like.

One of the folks here had a desk pad with a speaker phone, regular
handset, and a calculator built in (I can't remember the
manufacturer's name, sorry).  The phone and calculator used the same
numeric display, but had separate keypads.

One way to do it, I guess.

David O'Heare  oheare@gandalf.ca (note corrected spelling) +1 613 723 6500

david@uunet.uu.net (David E A Wilson) (10/05/90)

I saw a Telecom Australia Card phone the other day. It has 2 keypads -
one is a membrane type to enter your PIN for the credit/debit card and
the other has real push buttons for dialing the phone number. Both had
123 on the top.

David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong	david@cs.uow.edu.au

edward@pro-harvest.cts.com (Edward Floden) (10/06/90)

> Operator consoles follow normal telco practice. By the way,
> TIE once had a combined calculator/phone. I never saw one, so I wonder
> what the number pad was like.

That was the TIE SmartSet. And the keypad was the telephone-standard
1-2-3, not the calculator 7-8-9. Fortunately, I rarely needed to use
the calculator feature when I had one of those turkeys (the
microswitches used in the hookswitch circuit failed too often, IMHO).

UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!edward             ProLine: edward@pro-harvest
INET: edward@pro-harvest.cts.com           BIX: edward2
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!edward@nosc.mil    CIS: 73220,1624
BIT: edward%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil   America Online: Elseware