[comp.dcom.telecom] Phreak Arrested in Tennessee Voicemail Vandalism

pauls@crdgw1.ge.com (Paul Schmidt) (10/07/90)

sixhub!kk4fs!root@crdgw1.ge.com (Paul Schmidt -) writes:

> From the JOHNSON CITY PRESS, Wednesday, October 3, 1990
> HACKER ALTERING RECORDED PHONE MESSAGES

We now have an update on this:

 From the JOHNSON CITY PRESS, Saturday, October 6, 1990

PHONE TAMPERING CHARGES FOLLOW ARREST OF AREA MAN

 From staff reports

KINGSPORT, TN - A city man was arrested Friday for allegedly tampering
with United Telephone System voice mail boxes.

Christopher Stacy Agett, 20, 2016 Woodbine St., was charged with 59
felony counts of interfering with telephone lines and appliances for
allegedly replacing voice mail messages with sexually explicit
recordings taken from telephone sex lines.

In a written statement obtained by UTS security officials, Agett said
he dialed into company's voice mail message center and found boxes
that were not protected by a code number, or that had a code that was
easy to break, such as four sequential numbers.

As a result of the incident, UTS officials said in a news release they
are taking steps to make the message system more secure.  Officials
say they won't elaborate on the security procedures "for fear that
someone else will comprimise our system."

Agett was released on $3,000 bond from Kingsport City Jail Friday
afternoon.  He will be arraigned Monday morning in Sullivan County
Sessions Court.