[comp.dcom.telecom] Automatic Call Forwarding

watcher@ndmath.math.nd.edu> (09/21/90)

Some years ago I heard of an automatic call fowarding device (this was
before call forwarding was offered as an option by the telcos; it was,
in fact, pre-divestiture) that worked like this: you had two lines;
the first one rings (your "real" number); device dials out on the
second line; then conferences the lines together. Sure, you would have
to have two lines, but if you already have an extra one for the
dial-out modem, this wouldn't be a problem.

Such a device would be simpler and more straightforward, and with the
addition of some intelligence (say, a 6502? :-) could be reprogrammed
remotely, have pin numbers, etc, as well as other interesting
features, such as the ability to forward a number only during certain
hours, otherwise leaving it unanswered or diverting it to an answering
machine.

It could forward to different numbers based on the time of day, or the
day of the week. It could keep a log of when calls were forwarded,
where, and for how long. If it knew how much it cost, it could keep
tabs on that. If the volume of calls was not too terribly high, it
could even forward both directions, i.e.  calls on line A get
forwarded to number C through line B, while calls to line B get
forwarded to number D through line A. Better yet: have three-way
calling on the outgoing line that could then be used remotely; even
better still, have TWO outgoing lines with three-way calling that
could be conferenced together WITH the incoming line, making it
possible to set up small conferences by dialing in. Of course, the
more complicated, the more engineering headaches and programming
nightmares, but such a thing is definitely feasible, and probably not
very expensive. I could probably even design the controller and
write the software!  Unfortunately, I'm just not an analog person.

James Watcher (yes, that's what it says on my driver's license)
nstar!watcher@ndmath.math.nd.edu (fast)
PO Box 875  Notre Dame, IN 46556 (slow)

"Marc T. Kaufman" <kaufman@neon.stanford.edu> (09/24/90)

In article <12442@accuvax.nwu.edu> nstar!watcher@ndmath.math.nd.edu
(watcher) writes:

>Some years ago I heard of an automatic call fowarding device (this was
>before call forwarding was offered as an option by the telcos; it was,
>in fact, pre-divestiture) that worked like this: you had two lines;
>the first one rings (your "real" number); device dials out on the
>second line; then conferences the lines together. Sure, you would have
>to have two lines, but if you already have an extra one for the
>dial-out modem, this wouldn't be a problem.

When I took the public tour of the FBI building, the agent giving the
tour described these devices as "cheese boxes", typically used by
bookies to keep simple call traces from finding them.  The agent said
that now, bookies just use the call forwarding feature of the line to
do the job.

I told here that was dumb, because the forwarding number was in the
telco data base ... and got a very strange look in response.  I got
the impression that they were deliberately trying to encourage
would-be bookies to use the call forwarding method.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (09/26/90)

(JW) writes:

JW> Some years ago I heard of an automatic call fowarding device (this was
JW> before call forwarding was offered as an option by the telcos; it was,
JW> in fact, pre-divestiture) that worked like this: you had two lines;
JW> the first one rings (your "real" number); device dials out on the
JW> second line; then conferences the lines together. Sure, you would have
JW> to have two lines, but if you already have an extra one for the
JW> dial-out modem, this wouldn't be a problem.

I know somebody (a vet) who uses such a device to redirect calls to
his cellular phone when he is not at home. Call forwarding is a new
thing here, and not many people have even heard of it.

Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Telephone: +31 30 531806   Uucp:   uunet!mcsun!ruuinf!piet
Telefax:   +31 30 513791   Internet:  piet@cs.ruu.nl   (*`Pete')

hes@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) (10/02/90)

In article <12488@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T.
Kaufman) writes:

>When I took the public tour of the FBI building, the agent giving the
>tour described these devices as "cheese boxes", typically used by
>bookies to keep simple call traces from finding them. ...

  I asked the agent leading my tour what was the origin of the name
"cheese box" and he had no idea.  I wondered if it was from the idiom
"cheese it" meaning "scram" which was used back in those days.  Does
anyone know?

henry schaffer  n c state univ

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (10/03/90)

In article <12751@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dan@sics.se (Dan Sahlin) (DS)
writes:

DS> What is the pricing for these services in other countries?  Are the
DS> same codes used for invoking the service?

After sending my previous message (Message-ID: <12645@accuvax.nwu.edu>)

I called the PTT Telecom operator and asked about the Call Forwarding
prices.  Please try to keep alive when you read the following:

You have the choice between a three-month and a six-month contract.

3-month:	entry price	Dfl. 300
		monthly		Dfl. 150

6-month:	entry price	Dfl. 200
		monthly		Dfl.  90

I suppose the monthly fee applies only to the following months,
otherwise it does not make sense.

The exchange rate is $1 == Dfl 1.75.

I was so shocked when I heard these prices that I refused to get any
additional information. Now I also understand why people buy a call
forwarding box and two telephone lines.

Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Telephone: +31 30 531806   Uucp:   uunet!mcsun!ruuinf!piet
Telefax:   +31 30 513791   Internet:  piet@cs.ruu.nl   (*`Pete')

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (10/07/90)

I took advantage of this offer from Citibank a couple of years ago.
It's a pretty good deal, I thought, but here's the catch - you agree
to be sent them each year, with subsequent years being billed at the
full $21.95 price!  Actually, you have the option not to purchase in
subsequent years.  What happens is they send you a notice about a
month in advance, reminding you of "the deal," and telling you that
you need to send something back if you DON'T want it.  But, I just
glanced over it at the time, determined it was junk mail, and junked
it.  Well, when the book arrived, I felt really hoodwinked, but they
gave me a refund when I sent them back (refund necessary since they
automatically bill your credit card!).  Now back to telecom...

[Moderator's Note: I should have, but neglected to mention that part
about the 'negative-option' in my response yesterday. It is true you
get into a cycle with the calendar/diary people which requires you to
respond to them every year (regardless of *who* you actually buy it
from, i.e. Sprint, American Express, Visa, "Amoco Merchandise Center"
a/k/a/ Fingerhut  a/k/a "Exxon Merchandise Center", Diners Club et al)
but it still is a decent and attractive little book, and hardly the
sleazy, scam offer our original correspondent purported it to be.  PAT]

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (10/08/90)

In article <12898@accuvax.nwu.edu>, hes@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu (Henry E.
Schaffer) writes:

> I asked the agent leading my tour what was the origin of the name
> "cheese box" and he had no idea.  I wondered if it was from the idiom
> "cheese it" meaning "scram" which was used back in those days.  Does
> anyone know?

I read something one time about a character who worked for the mob in
New York or Chicago years ago.  He had the nickname "cheesebox"
because he had allegedly designed and built the first one of these
call forwarders 50 or so years ago in a real cheese box.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA  Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA   Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544      Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP