[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Phone Use on Airport Runway

monty@sunne.east.sun.com (Monty Solomon - Temp Consultant) (09/15/90)

An article in today's "Wall Street Journal" (9/14/90 p B1) states that
the FCC banned the use of cellular phones in planes on the ground
because they figured that people wouldn't hang up when the flight took
off.

The FCC claims that the cellular phones can't be used in the air
because they interfere with calls be earthbound cellular phone users.

The FCC is reconsidering permitting the use of cellular phones in
planes on the ground.  The FAA doesn't mind ground use of cellular
phones in planes.

How does cellular phone use in the air interfere with users on the
ground?

It would seem reasonable to permit cellular phone use from the plane
once it lands.  Why did the FCC prohibit this as well?

Also, on the same page is an article 900 numbers entitled "Scams in
900 Numbers Spur Calls for Federal Regulation"

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (09/17/90)

In article <12175@accuvax.nwu.edu>, monty@sunne (Monty Solomon - Temp
Consultant) writes:

| The FCC is reconsidering permitting the use of cellular phones in
| planes on the ground.  The FAA doesn't mind ground use of cellular
| phones in planes.

Well, not quite.  The PIC (pilot in command) on a part 91 flight (your
typical small plane operation) is responsible for approving the use of
nearly any onboard electronics *after* determining that such use will
not interfere with any of the avionics in use at the time.  I s'pose
that you probably aren't using your navigational radios on the ground
(one would hope!), but if it interferes with communications with
ground control or clearance delivery, the FAA would have a fit.

This doesn't exactly equal "doesn't mind" ... it's just that cell
phones probably don't really interfere.  (But my handheld cell phone
*does* mess up my cordless phone if it's too close, and given the aged
state of most private aircraft comm gear, I can imagine similar
interference.)

Speaking as an instrument-rated pilot *and* handheld cell phone user,

Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III
merlyn@iwarp.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!iwarp.intel.com!merlyn

FREE0612@uiucvmd (David Lemson) (09/17/90)

In a message of Fri, 14 Sep 90 15:58:59 EDT, Monty Solomon
<monty@sunne.east.sun.com> writes:

>The FCC claims that the cellular phones can't be used in the air
>because they interfere with calls be earthbound cellular phone users.

>How does cellular phone use in the air interfere with users on the
>ground?

     The entire premise of cellular service assumes that your cellular
unit transmits with a relatively low power, and has a fairly small
range.  This allows other cells in your general area to use the same
frequency as you are using, but on the other side of town.  If you are
in a plane, you are likely to receive several calls land-based calls
on your frequency at one time. (Ever notice how you can get FM
stations from 100 miles away when you're in a plane?)

     Another problem may be that if you are moving at 350 knots, you
will be switching cells every few seconds, putting a lot of load on
the computers that switch calls between cells.  When the entire
network goes to micro-cells, this will be an even bigger problem.

Tad.Cook%ssc.UUCP@hpubvwa.uucp (09/18/90)

In article <12175@accuvax.nwu.edu>, monty@sunne.east.sun.com (Monty
Solomon) writes:

> An article in today's "Wall Street Journal" (9/14/90 p B1) states that
> the FCC banned the use of cellular phones in planes on the ground
> because they figured that people wouldn't hang up when the flight took
> off.

> How does cellular phone use in the air interfere with users on the
> ground?

Because it hogs a frequency used by many users in different cells.
The great thing about cellular phone systems is that they are very
efficient in terms of spectrum usage.  This is because as you move
from cell to cell, you are shifted by the cell site to different
frequencies.  Two adjacent cells never use the same frequencies, but
the frequency that you are on may be used by another user two or three
cells away.  The system depends on everyone being on the ground and
running low power.  Otherwise it cannot function.

When you use a cellular phone from a plane, many cell sites can hear
your signal, so you end up hogging that frequency throughout the
entire system.  A few cellular callers in the air could cause major
problems.

> It would seem reasonable to permit cellular phone use from the plane
> once it lands.  Why did the FCC prohibit this as well?

Because they were afraid the users would not stop talking once the
plane took off.  I also have a feeling that they may have been nervous
about possible interference with the plane's various electronic
systems for navigation and communications.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544        Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (09/19/90)

Solomon) writes:

> How does cellular phone use in the air interfere with users on the
> ground?

The cellular telephone system depends upon spatial diversity.  The
channel you're using is also in use at numerous other cell sites, far
enough from your location that others may use them without
interference.  A cellular phone in a plane, being approximately
equi-distant from numerous cell sites, occupies a channel
simultaneously throughout the cellular system.  This may impose a
heavy switching load on the cellular switch, which may continually try
to hand the call off among the numerous cell sites, each of which
thinks it's got a close location to the mobile unit.  It may also
cause interference with other calls on the same frequency.

It is also possible that the cellular phone's transmitter, aboard the
aircraft, would cause interference with the navigation or
communication radio equipment aboard the same plane.  When the plane's
autopilot, having been misguided by the interfering signal on a
coupled approach, attempts to land the plane somewhere _near_ the
airport rather than on it, people on the ground may get hurt (not to
mention the danger to people on the plane).  This is why the operation
of most portable electronic devices is prohibited in flight.

> It would seem reasonable to permit cellular phone use from the plane
> once it lands.  Why did the FCC prohibit this as well?

As the original article described, it would be difficult to ensure
that the use ends as the plane takes off.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			Internet: dave@westmark.com
[The Man in the Mooney]		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

flak@mcgp1.uucp (Dan Flak) (09/21/90)

In article <12213@accuvax.nwu.edu> Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.
com> writes:

>Well, not quite.  The PIC (pilot in command) on a part 91 flight (your
>typical small plane operation) is responsible for approving the use of
>nearly any onboard electronics *after* determining that such use will
>not interfere with any of the avionics in use at the time.  I s'pose
>that you probably aren't using your navigational radios on the ground
>(one would hope!), but if it interferes with communications with
>ground control or clearance delivery, the FAA would have a fit.

Not quite! The pilot checks navigation radios on the ground. You
wouldn't want to have your flight taxi back in because of an erroneous
"bad check" of the instruments. I suspect that the "right" type of
transmission would even "spoof" an INS which gets no electronic data
from the outside world. Also RMI isn't just limited to navigation /
communications equipment. Nearly everything on a modern jet transport
is electronically reported.  There are transducers of every
description to measure engine power, airspeed (OK, not the actual
airspeed itself, but the Central AIr Data Computer), pitch trim ...

(Which, by the way, is one reason why MIL-SPEC coffee pots cost $700.
This still doesn't explain the toilet seats).

The relatively short wavelengths used by cellular makes it a good
candidate for producing RMI. I, as a Pilot in Command would be
hesitant to allow its use during any phase of flight.

  Dan Flak - McCaw Cellular Communications Inc., 201 Elliot Ave W.,
Suite 105, Seattle, Wa 98119, 206-286-4355, (usenet: thebes!mcgp1!flak)

olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu (09/22/90)

This thread (and the {Wall Street Journal}, and other publications)
has mentioned a general prohibition against cellular telephone use in
aircraft.  I have searched the FCC regulations for this prohibition
(to find out its details), but I cannot find it.

Does anyone know what regulation prohibits cellular calls from
aircraft?  (I know that you need the permission of the pilot and/or
the airline, but that is supposedly not good enough in this case.)

[Moderator's Note: It is not so much cellular phones as it is radio
equipment in general. All radios -- even those which 'only' receive
i.e. scanners, AM/FM broadcast receivers -- also radiate at least a
little via what is called the IF, or intermediate frequency. Try
holding two little pocket radios back to back, both turned on, and
listen to them fight with each other; squealing, etc. Even that tiny
amount of RF could adversely affect the aircraft's electronics.  PAT]

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (09/23/90)

In article <12412@accuvax.nwu.edu> olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu writes:

>This thread (and the {Wall Street Journal}, and other publications)
>has mentioned a general prohibition against cellular telephone use in
>aircraft.  I have searched the FCC regulations for this prohibition
>(to find out its details), but I cannot find it.

It is certainly too recent to have found itself printed in CFR47 (the
FCC rules and regulations).  In any event, the cabin crew announcement
these days is exceedingly explicit in disallowing operation of ANY
radio equipment (transmitters or receivers) at any time.  US Air also
requested that we turn off laptop computers and video games during
takeoff and landing.

All of the above is, I believe, related to the FARs proscribing
interference to navigational equipment.  The airborne cellular
(specifically) prohibition has be discussed here before, and relates
to cell overloading.  Maybe someone can look it up in the cellular
rules.

I wouldn't be surprised to find the laptop prohibition on takeoff and
landing to be an attempt to prevent injury from flying objects in the
event of an accident.

Sometimes there may be MORE THAN ONE reason for a rule.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu (09/25/90)

In article <12412@accuvax.nwu.edu> I wrote:

>Does anyone know what regulation prohibits cellular calls from aircraft?

(The Moderator appended a note pointing out the potential risks from
IF-leakage interfering with the aircraft's avionics.)

I see that I wasn't quite clear in my question.  There are two distinct
problems arising from cellular use in aircraft:

1. Interference with the aircraft avionics, due to IF leakage.
(this is an *aviation* problem).

2. Overloading the cellular radio network, by accessing multiple cells.
(this is a *telecom* problem).

The first problem is addressed by FAA regulation 91.21 (formerly
91.19), which prohibits the operation of most portable electronic
equipment on commercial flights, unless the airline has determined
that the equipment will not interfere with the aircraft avionics.

The second problem is what I was asking about.

Suppose someone is flying high over Los Angeles, in circumstances
where FAR 91.21 does not apply.  If he uses his cellular phone, it
might activate hundreds of cells and confuse the network.  It would be
impolite for him to make a cellular call from there, but would it be
illegal?  If so, how?

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 03-Oct-1990 1104) (10/03/90)

[Moderator's Note: John Covert forwarded this to us.  PAT]

  From: Dale Neiburg

In TELECOM Digest Vol 10, Issue 666, Marc Kaufman writes:

>In any event, the cabin crew announcement
>these days is exceedingly explicit in disallowing operation of ANY
>radio equipment (transmitters or receivers) at any time.

The announcements seem to be idiosyncratic to the airlines involved.
Over the last three years, I've flown a lot on America West Airlines
and there's never been any mention of using RF equipment.  (What does
give me a hoot, especially on the Phoenix-Tucson shuttle, is listening
to the detailed instructions on use of the plane's emergency flotation
gear: for those not familiar with southern Arizona, you're hundreds of
miles from any body of water large enough to take a bath in.)

On the thread of inadvertent three-way calling (more or less), we had
a peculiar incident at work a number of years ago.  _How_ it happened
would take a special Digest edition, but:

One Saturday night, a female staff member (NOT at work that evening)
accidentally got her home phone "stuck" in the building paging amp.
Our telecom manager was finally able to clear the problem, but all my
attempts (pick-up, barge-in, etc.) were fruitless.  Of course, a lot
of people were opposed to my _trying_ to correct things....  ;-)

Opinions expressed are my own.  NPR's opinions are made by a bunch of
people upstairs.

Dale Neiburg
NPR Engineering
202-822-2402

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (10/04/90)

In article <12619@accuvax.nwu.edu>, olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu writes:

> Suppose someone is flying high over Los Angeles, in circumstances
> where FAR 91.21 does not apply.  If he uses his cellular phone, it
> might activate hundreds of cells and confuse the network.  It would be
> impolite for him to make a cellular call from there, but would it be
> illegal?  If so, how?

Ted Potter, flying traffic reporter on KOMO in Seattle was using his
cellular phone from his traffic spotting plane a few years ago.  The
FCC called him and told him to STOP.  I don't know what regulation
they cited.

Tad Cook  Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544       Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad  or, tad@ssc.UUCP

[Moderator's Note: Well, what is it the traffic reporters use now? I
think the guy for WMAQ News Radio 67 here uses a cellular phone to
report to the news desk. If not, what is he using?   PAT

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/06/90)

On Oct 6 at  1:20, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> [Moderator's Note: Well, what is it the traffic reporters use now? I
> think the guy for WMAQ News Radio 67 here uses a cellular phone to
> report to the news desk. If not, what is he using?   PAT

There is only one thing he can be using if the reports are broadcast
directly and that is a "Part 74" frequency. Part 74 is the section of
FCC rules and regs that covers use of broadcast aux frequencies. And
the rules are quite explicit that anything meant for direct broadcast
must be sent on one of these channels. There are such channels in the
150 MHz and more popular 450 MHz region. The 950 MHz channels that
radio broadcasters use to relay program material to transmitter sites
also fall under Part 74.

Just as someone was busted in the Seattle area for using cellular for
this purpose, so was a station in the Bay Area chastised for using the
"business band" for traffic reports. The problem is, in metro areas
there aren't enough Part 74 frequencies to go around. And even though
there are several traffic reporting services that are used by many
stations, they must use a coveted Part 74 frequency (whose license is
actually held by a designated broadcaster, since only broadcasters can
be granted licenses for these channels). Another problem is that use
of a frequency from aircraft wipes out its reuse over a vast area.
Broadcasters spend many hours a month coordinating the use of these
frequencies.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

73765.1026@compuserve.com (John Stanley) (10/07/90)

Regarding a comment on the FCC requesting a traffic reporter to stop
using cellular phones from the air, our esteemed Moderator asks:

>[Moderator's Note: Well, what is it the traffic reporters use now? I
>think the guy for WMAQ News Radio 67 here uses a cellular phone to
>report to the news desk. If not, what is he using?   PAT

In Syracuse, Captain Scott King, the only air traffic reporter in
Syracuse, uses 170.15 for his downlink. Uplink frequency is unknown,
but 170.15 can be used by the studios he talks to (1 AM, 1 FM, and 1
TV, as far as I know.)  The city police also monitor 170.15 and can
talk to him on it. He regularly uses this frequency to notify them of
traffic problems and accidents.

This frequency is designated as one of the standard remote to studio
links, and is used for many things besides air traffic. Several
stations in this area use it for live shots. It was quite interesting
to listen during the (Great) New York State Fair, where everyone and
their brother was trying to get live stuff from the grounds. The
Captain was VERY unhappy that his signal was getting covered.

Since there is so little coordination heard on that frequency, there
must be another frequency they use, but I have not found it.

A friend of mine flies a reporter during the Captain's vacation time.
He says there is about 100 pounds of radio gear strapped into the
seat. It includes tally lights and all sorts of stuff. There are a lot
of extra antennas pasted all over the Captain's plane. His signal from
the plane is good enough that he sometimes makes his last traffic
report from the ground at the airport after landing.

For those with a listening bent, the RTS links and other media
frequencies are a great way to keep up with breaking news. The police
use too many codes, but the reporters never do. It also gives an
insight into the mania that exists in broadcast journalism. One night,
I heard a TV remote leave the local hospital (downtown) and arrive at
the station (Eastside) in about five minutes, in a race to get a hot tape
to air. He must have been doing about 80 and blowing red lights to
perform this feat. The tape: a standup in front of the hospital saying
that one victim was taken to XXX hospital, but no information was
available on his condition.

The ground pounding reporters do make heavy use of cellular, sometimes
for remote feeds. This is information I heard from someone. I never
listen to cellular frequencies. Nope, not me.

sekell@monsanto.com (10/08/90)

> [Moderator's Note: Well, what is it the traffic reporters use now? I
> think the guy for WMAQ News Radio 67 here uses a cellular phone to
> report to the news desk. If not, what is he using?   PAT

	Around here, the local clear-channel AM station (KMOX) uses a
FM radio system on 161.730 Mhz for their traffic copter-to-base
reporting. I'm not sure if this frequency is specifically allocated
for this type of service or not. I thought I once heard that this same
system and frequency was used as a link to the local Emergency
Operations Center for their EBS broadcast audio.

Scott Keller - sekell@monsanto.com - 314-537-6317 -