[comp.dcom.telecom] Music On Hold

macy@fmsystm.uucp (Macy Hallock) (10/01/90)

In article <12745@accuvax.nwu.edu>:

[Discussion of bandwidth vs. channel use in progress...]

>Not necessarily, BUT there should be a HUGE, financially crippling
>charge for those companies that employ the usual muzak-on-hold,

Well, actually there is.  ASCAP charges $100/yr per trunk for
licensing rebroadcast or use of recorded material (as of the last time
I checked).

Muzak and other music services do charge for the use of their
material.  (Although I suspect a lot of it gets hooked up by
installers without regard to contractual obligations....)  Last I
heard, Muzak charged around $5/mo per trunk in this area.

You can get recorrded music with the correct clearances for this use,
but few people are willing to pay the freight.

The actual number of locations paying proper license fees for the use
of music on hold is rather low, I suspect.  Considering ASCAP's often
agressive enforcement activity in metropolitan areas in the past, this
is a bit surprising.  And yes, I have run into them...but for music
over paging systems, not MOH (Music On Hold).  And I do warn my
customers ... not all listen, though.

Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG      uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy

[Moderator's Note: Did any of you see Bob Green's column in the Sunday
papers over the weekend? He said some legal beagles are hitting on
some guy in a small town in Indiana (population 800) because the guy
has a radio in his store and listens to the music on the radio
in-between customers. They are trying to sue him for big $$.  PAT]

ror@grassys.bc.ca (Richard O'Rourke) (10/02/90)

In article <12856@accuvax.nwu.edu>, macy@fmsystm.uucp (Macy Hallock)
writes:

> In article <12745@accuvax.nwu.edu>:

[Discussion of bandwidth vs. channel use in progress...]

> Muzak and other music services do charge for the use of their
> material.  (Although I suspect a lot of it gets hooked up by
> installers without regard to contractual obligations....)  Last I
> heard, Muzak charged around $5/mo per trunk in this area.

Going off on a tangent:

Music on hold disturbs me in any case.  What is more disturbing
though, is that it is often played at a level that can be
misinterpreted as background noise.  This can cause problems in calls
routed through some types of equipment, such as fast packet gear.

If companies are going to force stuff into your ear while your on
hold, it might as well be an advertisement.  That will give them the
incentive to turn it up, and me the incentive to hang up and call back
when they have the time to service me.  Possibly saving bandwidth in
the meantime, if going over packet gear.

Richard O'Rourke: (604)438-8249      | Grass Root Systems: 436-1995
UUCP: uunet!van-bc!mplex!grassys!ror | Smart UUCP: ror@grassys.bc.ca
ror@grassys.wimsey.bc.ca             |

brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) (10/04/90)

One of the local datacomm suppliers that I used to deal with has
instituted "hawk on hold", where I get to listen to a seemingly
endless pitch for whatever it is they're hawking this week whilst
they're trying to track down our salescritter.

I find it incredibly annoying -- when I'm on hold, I usually park the
call on my speakerphone so I don't have to keep the handset up to my
ear, but with the "hawk on hold" crap playing all the time, I can't
really tell when the mechanical salesman ends and the live one begins.

I wonder if that company has figured out why I don't call them for
quotes or other information any more.

I'd also like to know if they have any concept of how much additional
business they've gained from that &*^$^%$ vs how much they've lost by
annoying the hell out of the customers.

Piping a radio station into the hold circuit isn't much better -- like
when I call a particular modem company and get to listen to their
local "easy listening" radio station giving me a chance to win in
their ratings contests, or maybe the traffic report for Frostbite
Falls, Minnesota.  It just thrills the very core of my being to know
that there's a traffic jam on the main freeway of a city 2,000 miles
away, yes indeed!  Even if the station isn't hawking something, it's
virtually certain they're not playing the same kind of music the radio
in my office is.

I've mentioned how annoying music-on-hold and hawk-on-hold is to
salescritters before.  I usually get the old shuck-and-jive "the boss
likes it and I can't do anything about it anyway" as an answer.  My
answer to THAT is to hang up.

Music on hold is bad enough.  This selling schpiel is obscene.

As is said, vote with your feet.  Tell these companies that you won't
deal with them because they have such an unprofessional, nay, CALLOUS
disregard for their customers.

Brian

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (10/05/90)

Browbeating the poor dishonest sales critter doesn't really help much.
Try notifying the VP or Marketing, Sales, or even the CEO as to why
you are taking your business elsewhere.

It does work ... surprising how many hotels are beginning to inject
some sanity into their telephone rip-offs (er, make that "surcharges")
when a few guests contacted the owner or franchisee.

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (10/05/90)

I encountered a really sensible use for the MOH channel of an
automatic call distributor a few years ago.  (An automatic call
distributor is the machine that tells you something like: "This is the
XY&Z Company; all agents are busy.  Please stay on the line..."  and
manages a queue of inbound calls until an agent is available.)

I was calling the Washington DC Flight Service Station.  A Flight
Service Station is an office maintained by the FAA where a pilot calls
to ask for weather information, and file a flight plan before
departure.  Today, a lot of this is done by dial-up computer access,
but a few years ago, one did it all verbally.

If the weather was super-good, or terrible, you'd always reach an
agent (they're called briefers) right away.  If the weather is so good
that you don't need a briefing, it's easy to get one.  If the
weather's so bad you can't possibly complete your flight safely,
nobody is calling either.

It was one of those somewhere in-between days.  I wanted to fly home
from DCA (Washington National) to MMU (Morristown, NJ).  The phone was
answered something like: "This is the Washington Flight Service, all
briefers are busy.  While you're waiting, Washington weather this hour
is three thousand scattered, ceiling six thousand overcast, visibility
seven ... Baltimore, at 12:00, three thousand five hundred ... and so
on.  It included Richmond, Philadelphia, Charleston, and ever-widening
circles from DCA, eventually including New York.  By the time I
reached the briefer, I didn't need to take his time asking for weather
 -- I'd taken notes while in the ACD queue.  I just dictated the
flightplan, wished him a good day, and headed for the airport.

A real time-saver for all concerned.

PS: Washington Flight Service no longer provides "aviation weather on
hold" as of the last time I flew in that area.

Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]		Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857

oheare@uunet.uu.net (David O'Heare) (10/05/90)

In article <12995@accuvax.nwu.edu>, brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor)
writes:

> [stuff about music/sales spiels on hold deleted]

If anyone has cause to call WordPerfect for support and gets put on
hold, they do things a little differently: there is a _live_ disk
jockey playing New-Agey sorts of music and giving reports on the
congestion of the phone lines. Good quality sound, and an 800 number
that works from Canada. Nice that somebody thinks about the folks on
hold.

Dave O'Heare  oheare@gandalf.ca +1 613 723 6500

jj1028@homxc.att.com (Maurice R Baker) (10/06/90)

In article <12995@accuvax.nwu.edu>, brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:

> Music on hold is bad enough.  This selling schpiel is obscene.

OK ... how's this for an idea:

	If you're going to be "stacked up" on hold for any length of
time, the answering system (tried to choose a suitably generic label)
should give you the choice of:

	Silence [maybe a brief reassurance every minute or so that you're
			still connected, for the faint of heart.]

	Perhaps a small selection of different music types [i.e., radio
			stations/Muzak/etc. that play country, rock,
			easy listening, classical.]

	A recorded sales pitch or description of the product line

        Leaving a message for call back (if necessary) when someone is
                        available. [Sure beatshaving to wait ten
                        minutes for the "1st available agent" when all
                        you want is to request a catalog!]

			-etc. etc. etc.-

 ... all selected by pressing a Touch-Tone digit.  Maybe they could
even use the stats on the music type requested to determine
demographics of callers, and that sort of thing (just an idea) ...
could help them choose where to place future advertising, et al.

Any comments?

M. Baker
homxc!jj1028  or  jj1028 at homxc.att.com

brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) (10/07/90)

In article <13095@accuvax.nwu.edu> jj1028@homxc.att.com (Maurice R
Baker) writes:

>If you're going to be "stacked up" on hold for any length of
>time, the answering system (tried to choose a suitably generic label)
>should give you the choice of:

> (several ideas for what you listen to while caught in a telephone
> traffic jam)

While those are nice suggestions, they miss the point.  If more
companies started regarding call that was abandoned while on hold as a
LOST SALE, they soon start doing something about making sure people
weren't put on hold quite so much.

It's simple: if you call an organization and get parked for an
impolite amount of time, whenever practical, abandon that call and
call the competition.

If you have to deal with that firm, and it's appropriate, simply ask
the clerk to inform his manager that you are unhappy with the length
of time you had to wait and you are now much more inclined to call the
competition.

On a related note, I recently attended the TCA show here in San Diego,
and came away with the impression that the largest single emphasis of
the vendors at this year's show was on more new and wonderful ways for
people to talk to machines.  It's sad that a device that was once
designed to make communication between humans much easier is now being
engineered to make it much less likely.

A human-factors consideration: when I was making my living as a
computer consultant a few years ago, I became sensitive to the fact
that people often needed to call me most when they were having
problems with their computers, and that the last thing someone who is
already upset with his machine needs to hear is another machine
answering the phone when he calls for help.  Several of my customers
remarked how grateful they were that I had SOMEONE (me or the
answering service) available 24 hours to answer their call, even if
all they could do was take a message or promise to page me.

It was clear to me that the $25 a month for a real person (i.e., an
answering service) more than paid for itself in the number of jobs I
got.  Fooey on whizz-bang technology: people want to talk to people,
not machines.

Brian

jeremy@cs.swarthmore.edu (Jeremy Brest) (10/08/90)

In <13121@accuvax.nwu.edu> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:

>It's sad that a device that was once
>designed to make communication between humans much easier is now being
>engineered to make it much less likely.

>Several of my customers
>remarked how grateful they were that I had SOMEONE (me or the
>answering service) available 24 hours to answer their call, even if
>all they [sic] could do was take a message or promise to page me.

>It was clear to me that the $25 a month for a real person (i.e., an
>answering service) more than paid for itself in the number of jobs I
>got.  Fooey on whizz-bang technology: people want to talk to people,
>not machines.

Brian, if what you want to do is communicate, then having people
grateful is not the right metric to base decision making on. People
leave watered down messages with secretaries and answering services.
Voice mail and answering machines may be displeasing at first, we find
that people leave more detailed messages on them, and for good reason:
The intended recipient hears the message.  It is not translated by
someone who isn't current on the subject. That means that the caller
is able to make assumptions about the listener's knowledge on the
subject.

People take a long time to become comfortable with new modes of
communication. But it is wrong and reactionary to say that voice mail
and answering machines make communications between and among people
less likely -- they make it more likely.  They just make it less likely
that people will need to be on the telephone at the same time to
communicate effectively. (For a pretty decent parallel, look at how
email improves communications in settings where it is well used.)

Jeremy Brest
Jeremy_Brest@NeXT.com

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/08/90)

On Oct 7 at 16:05, Brian Kantor <brian@ucsd.edu> writes:

> It was clear to me that the $25 a month for a real person (i.e., an
> answering service) more than paid for itself in the number of jobs I
> got.  Fooey on whizz-bang technology: people want to talk to people,
> not machines.

And where, oh where, pray tell, do you find this magical answering
service? I have been in business for two decades selling and now
designing (and selling) equipment and have completely given up on
answering services. Unfortunately, I am not, at present, large enough
to have a full-time secretary and so I must resort to mechanical means
since I am frequently out (and almost never go into the office).

Answering services? Phooey! The high turnover morons can't spell to
save their lives. They transpose digits in phone numbers. They,
themselves, put people on hold forever.

             "Announcementtechnologiescanyouhold?"

And that's after about fifteen rings.

And heaven help the customer who actually thinks that he is talking to
a bona fide human and starts talking TECHNICAL! (Those messages
usually ended up in the service's File 13.) Checking for messages is a
real treat. "This is 505, do have any messages?" "Oh yes, Mr. Higdon,
quite a few -- oh could you hold please?" [long wait] "Oh, sorry to keep
you waiting. Let's see ... An urgent call from a Mr. [unintelligible]
who says that your space in San Francisco ... Oh, excuse me just a
moment."  [long wait] "Sorry. Let's see ... You got the first
message..."

"No, I didn't understand the name." "Oh, it was ... hold on please."
And on and on. Mind you this isn't one service, but the SOP for every
one of the six or so services that I tried. And another thing: It
wasn't $25/month. It was more like $120-$150 per month. If the morons
were underpaid, then someone was getting very rich.

You can keep answering services. I (and I'm sure my customers) would
rather speak into a mechanical contrivance any day of the week rather
than be faced with an over-priced answering service bimbo from hell.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: There are good answering services. Twenty years ago
I used one for quite awhile: Annex Telephone Answering, downtown in
the Chicago Temple Building. They were good, and they offered flat
rate service which as I recall was $35 per month. That included paging
me to 'call the office' when they had a message.  This wa a bridged
service, i.e. they had an extension of my line which came up on their
board. Whether or not an answering machine/voicemail is preferable to
an answering service depends on the nature of the business and the
temperment of the caller. A physician, psychiatrist or social worker
might be better off with a live, trained person at an answering
service specializing in that sort of client.  Annex carried a lot of
professional clients; they opened for business about 1920.  PAT]

bicker@hoqax.att.com (Brian Charles Kohn) (10/08/90)

=> > Music on hold is bad enough.  This selling schpiel is obscene.
=> OK ... how's this for an idea:
=> 	If you're going to be "stacked up" on hold for any length of
=> time, the answering system (tried to choose a suitably generic label)
=> should give you the choice of:

I want music on hold, interrupted every 30 seconds telling me where I
am in queue.  Extra points if they give me a good estimate of how long
I'll still be waiting.

Brian Charles Kohn          AT&T Bell Laboratories Quality Process Center
Quality Management System   E-MAIL: att!hoqax!bicker  (bicker@hoqax.ATT.COM)
Consultant                  PHONE: (908) 949-5850        FAX: (908) 949-7724