[comp.dcom.telecom] Non-ATT 800 Calls

IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu (Andy Jacobson) (10/08/90)

My experience has been the same as Doug Reuben's. I tried calling
800-666-6258 from 415-552 (one of the last XB's in San Francisco.) and
got a recording to the effect that the call could not be completed.

Apparently the EM switches can not support calls to non-ATT 800
numbers. I attempted it in the first place to see if the ANI demo
would work from an EM switch, which I guess I'll never know as the
demo is now gone (at least from all the lines I've tried here in L.A.)
being replaced by an MCI version of the old "The number you have
dialed,....." recording.

In reference to a long running debate some months back, when the ANI
demo did work, I tried it from UCLA's Northern Telcom PBX, and it of
course read back to me the outgoing trunk number, which is the main
incomming number for campus, and the only number associated with the
call. DID numbers normally don't show up on calls originating from
trunk groups.

Andy Jacobson
(izzyas1@oac.ucla.edu)

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/10/90)

On Oct 9 at  2:05, Andy Jacobson <IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu> writes:

> Apparently the EM switches can not support calls to non-ATT 800
> numbers. I attempted it in the first place to see if the ANI demo
> would work from an EM switch, which I guess I'll never know as the
> demo is now gone (at least from all the lines I've tried here in L.A.)

The ANI demo worked just fine from my 5XB, so it would not be correct
to say that it wouldn't work from mechanical switches. My XBar line
can call any 800 number (in fact ANY number) that my 1ESS lines can
call.  This includes 10XXX, international, the works.

It uses the NAC adjunct, which I had assumed to be installed in all
mechanical switches requiring it.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

vances@xenitec.on.ca (Vance Shipley) (10/10/90)

In article <13169@accuvax.nwu.edu> IZZYAS1@oac.ucla.edu (Andy
Jacobson) writes:

>In reference to a long running debate some months back, when the ANI
>demo did work, I tried it from UCLA's Northern Telcom PBX, and it of
>course read back to me the outgoing trunk number, which is the main
>incomming number for campus, and the only number associated with the
>call. DID numbers normally don't show up on calls originating from
>trunk groups.

The Northern Telecom SL-1 (or Meridian 1 if you prefer) can be
configured for either LDN (Listed Directory Number) or PDN (Private
Directory Number) CLID.

For each customer group in the switch a default is chosen as to which
is sent.  Any set can have LDN or PDN chosen to overide this.  In
short; DID numbers can and will appear in your CLID.

vance