[comp.dcom.telecom] Censorship and 73 Magazine

jgd@gatech.edu (John G. DeArmond) (10/11/90)

In article <13197@accuvax.nwu.edu> goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (Fred
R. Goldstein) writes:

>In article <13076@accuvax.nwu.edu>, kf5iw!jim@central.uucp (Jim
>Blocker) writes...

>>Inquire at your local library to see if they have these old issues.
>>They make for some very interesting reading!

>Odds are your library won't have them.

>Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Co. filed suit against "73, Inc., a
>foreign [not CA] Corporation, Spenser Whipple Jr.[Peter Stark] , Wayne
>Green, Virginia Londner Green, and Does 1 through 200, Inclusive"
>(where the Does were all employees of 73 Inc.).  The Superior Court of
>the State of California ruled, in judgement C 126265, that

I saw this article today and it stunned me.  Not only had I, as a long
time subscriber of 73, ever heard of the suit, but I was also
surprised that Wayne Green would take such a ruling laying down.  So I
picked up the phone and called 73 Magazine.  Talked to a "Linda".  She
brought Bill Brown, who is apparently the editor in chief into the
conversation.  There was one problem.  There has been so much turnover
at 73 that no one remembered much about the case.

After some research, the called me back.  They said that there was
indeed such a case that was limited strictly to the State of
California.  They said that someone remembered there being a letter
sent out to CA subscribers asking them to tear the pages out of their
magazines.  They could not remember whether or not the case was
appealed.  They stated that they were sure that the case never got
outside of CA.

Linda started to apologize (sp) for the article and I interrupted her
to explain that my interest was a First Amendment concern and not
about the content.  She then made a statement that stunned me.  She
said that they were not concerned about that aspect and in fact she'd
hate think that someone could publish the plans for an atomic bomb or
something without the government getting involved!  Can you believe
that?  Prior restraint endorsed by a publisher.  Oh well, the Bill of
Rights was nice while it lasted ....

John De Armond, WD4OQC   Radiation Systems, Inc.
Atlanta, Ga              {emory,uunet}!rsiatl!jgd