[comp.dcom.telecom] Lack of Payphones

macy@uunet.uucp (Macy Hallock) (10/08/90)

In article <13144@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon (Fellow GTE Victim) writes:

>I remember one time, late at night, when my car was acting funny out
>in the desert. No cellular service was available (there is now, thank
>goodness) but there was a gas station at hand. Unfortunately, it was
>closed and the COCOT was apparently powered from the pump circuit,
>since it was dead. This was one of the most frightening experiences to
>date related to a COCOT.

This was always a problem, even before COCOT's came into being.  As a
20+ year telephone man, I can tell you that I never, ever travel
without a butt-in and a few hand tools in my briefcase.  A good butt
set is better than a mobile phone.  (This also makes for interesting
conversations at the security X-ray at the airport.)

My car broke down our in the country a few years ago.  One house in
sight.  No one home.  Since this was my wife's car, no IMTS mobile
phone.  So, out comes the butt set, I make a credit card call off the
house's protector, and my brother is on his way to get us.

Same story for a problem at a construction site a couple of years ago.
I also use it to summon telco repair to aid customers, friends and the
general public when needed.  I have also summoned police and medical
aid when the need arose.  Sort of a telecom good samaritan gesture...

Bear in mind, I use this tool only when necessary and in a responsible
manner.  I also get asked to fix phones a lot when people see it.
(which I often do).

I have also found other uses for traveling butt sets ... did I ever
tell you about my trip to Cancun?  I fixed two phone lines for a condo
owner while I was there (who I met by accident) and he paid me back
with a very enjoyable two days of personal sightseeing and use of a
car.

Now, lets ask wb8foz about using a butt-set in Havana...

Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG      uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy

CRW@icf.hrb.com (Craig R. Watkins) (10/11/90)

In article <13163@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Macy Hallock <aablue.aablue.com.
uux!macy@uunet.uucp> writes:

> This was always a problem, even before COCOT's came into being.  As a
> 20+ year telephone man, I can tell you that I never, ever travel
> without a butt-in and a few hand tools in my briefcase.

I travel with a light (somewhat cheap) single piece phone, an RJ11
jack with spade leads and some jumper-clips (in addition to some RJ11
cables for a modem).  Although quite possibly less reliable and less
sturdy than the butt set, depeding upon type, it can be smaller,
lighter, and certainly less expensive if you don't already have a butt
set!  Quite useful for voicemail, DISA, etc from non-TT hotel rooms.
I second the motion on the hand tools (I recently picked up one of the
small (small calculator-sized) DVM's for my case -- it was on sale at
Radio Shack for around $15).

Craig R. Watkins	Internet:	CRW@ICF.HRB.COM
HRB Systems, Inc.    	Bitnet:		CRW%HRB@PSUECL.Bitnet
+1 814 238-4311		UUCP:		...!psuvax1!hrbicf!crw