[comp.dcom.telecom] Hints For Using Archives Mail Server

sjr@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Sander J. Rabinowitz) (10/11/90)

On October 10, the Moderator wrote (in reference to COCOT labels):

>I know some of you cannot access the archives easily ... and I am
>reasonably certain Lang does not want to fill all the requests ... so
>those of you who can get it from the archives please do so.

My message applies to anyone with an MSDOS machine who has gateway
access to Internet via MCI Mail (and possibly Compuserve, AT&T Mail,
etc. as well) who obtains files by sending an anonymous FTP request to
the mail server (MBX: BITFTP@pucc.princeton.edu).  I won't repeat the
method of doing this, because the Moderator already has a good
tutorial on this (see TELECOM special issue, dated 7 September 1990).

I have MCI Mail, and what I found that many of my file requests come
out OK, but that every once in a while, I get a file that looks like
this:

>The following line should contain ASCII characters 0x20-0x5F:
> !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_

>begin 0600 ACCESS.CODES
>M1G)O;2! 9&5L=&$N965C<RYN=W4N961U.G1E;&5C;VU 965C<RYN=W4N961UM
>M($UO;B!*86X@,C(@,30Z,#0Z-#$@,3DY, I296-E:79E9#H@9G)O;2!-24Y4M
> (several hundred lines deleted)

This is a UUENCODED file, and it still has to be decoded before the
file is readable.  (My understanding now is that the Mail Server was
attempting to send an 8-bit data file down a 7-bit data path, hence
the UUENCODing.)

If you have access to CompuServe, go into the UNIXFORUM, and in
Library 13 is a file called UU.ZIP.  (This is a compressed file--you
need a utility called PKUNZIP to decompress it -- available on most
MSDOS BBS systems.)  Upon decompression, two files are created:
UUENCODE.EXE and UUDECODE.EXE.  You use the latter program to perform
the decoding.

Caveats: 1) There is hardly any documentation.  2) The output file has
line feeds, but no carriage returns.  3) I cannot predict the results
that can occur with any input file.

Sander J. Rabinowitz    | 0003829147@mcimail.com | +1 313 478 6358
Farmington Hills, Mich. | --OR-- sjr@mcimail.com | ==>   8-)  <==

[Moderator's Note: Thanks for this additional hint in using the
Archives mail server. For the majority of our readers who are NOT
directly on the Internet, ftp is unavailable. The mail server will
work, but as Sander notes, the larger files are now going out
uuencoded, and unless your site has the ability to uudecode, you have
a problem. In addition to the files he recommends above, you can also
get a comprehensive help file by writing to 'bitftp.pucc.princeton.edu'
and putting the single word HELP in upper case at the left margin of
the first line of text. You'll get back a file that explains how to
get into all sorts of interesting archives including the one for
telecom at lcs.mit.edu.   PAT]