[comp.dcom.telecom] Ringing Nuisance

SYSMATT@ukcc.uky.edu (Matt Simpson) (10/08/90)

Ever since my CO cut over to an ESS (I don't know what model), I have
occasionally been awakened by a brief jingle of my phone's ringer at
about 6 AM. At first, I assumed it was an unwanted side-effect of
their nightly testing, and just ignored it, thinking they would
eventually fix the problem.  Finally, after being awakened about 5:30
one morning by a continous ring which continued till I picked up the
phone, I called repair service.

The serviceman who was dispatched had no idea what could have caused
the continous ring, but confirmed that the brief jingles were being
caused by their daily testing, which occurs between 4-6 AM.  He did
not seem to think that this was a problem which would be, or needed to
be, fixed. He said most people just sleep through it. Since I don't
get awakened every day, I'm not sure whether it rings every day, and
I'm just sometimes in a deep enough sleep that it doesn't bother me.
But on the days that it does awaken me, I am definitely aggravated.

Short of unplugging my phones at night, does anyone have any idea how
I can prevent this ringing, or how I can persuade South Central Bell
that is something they can and should fix?

bill@trace.eedsp.gatech.edu (bill) (10/09/90)

In article <13161@accuvax.nwu.edu> SYSMATT@ukcc.uky.edu (Matt Simpson)
writes:

[story of annoying early A.M. test ring and being shuffled off by local telco]

>Short of unplugging my phones at night, does anyone have any idea how
>I can prevent this ringing, or how I can persuade South Central Bell
>that is something they can and should fix?

If these calls (rings) are annoying to you, call the SCB annoyance
call bureau and report it.  You just happen to know that the local
telco is causing this annoyance, does that somehow make it okay
whereas if Joe Q. Public was the instigator he would likely face some
serious criminal harassment charges?

If it annoys you, plain and simple, they should correct it.  It may
not be easy for them to undo and they may suggest that you turn your
ringer off or disconnect your phone(s), but if that's unacceptable to
you then be insistent.  Start at the bottom and work your way up until
you are satisfied.  It may well be that this would go to the VP level
before being corrected.  As a later option, if telco tells you to get
lost, you can go to the police and explain the situation.  Keep
records of names, dates, and times from the very beginning, because it
will definitely be to your advantage to do so.  The state public
utilities commission might be receptive to a letter from you if the
telco refuses to act in a timely manner, too.

Quite likely, being the helpful and responsible folks that they are,
the telco will be able to block your line from this testing and you
won't have to be too insistent. :-)

Bill Berbenich
bill@trace.gatech.edu

john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.) (10/10/90)

writes:

>Ever since my CO cut over to an ESS (I don't know what model), I have
>occasionally been awakened by a brief jingle of my phone's ringer at
>about 6 AM.

This has happened here in Hopewell (C&P Telephone) to me, but since
I'm usually at work for most of the day I haven't noticed it lately.

What happens to me more often is a message on my answering machine,
that turns out to be a bunch of clicks.  Has anybody had this happen
to them?  What causes it?

John B. Meaders, Jr.
510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23806
Voice:  804-458-2983
Net:  john@karnak.cactus.org or john@karnak

Tad.Cook@beaver.cs.washington.edu (10/11/90)

Simpson) writes:

> Ever since my CO cut over to an ESS (I don't know what model), I have
> occasionally been awakened by a brief jingle of my phone's ringer at
> about 6 AM.

> Short of unplugging my phones at night, does anyone have any idea how
> I can prevent this ringing, or how I can persuade South Central Bell
> that is something they can and should fix?

The CO doesn't actually put ringing voltage on your line.  But your
phone is seeing a sudden change in DC voltage, and is mis-interpreting
that as ringing voltage.  This is similar to the problem where you
have a rotary dial extension telephone which causes other phones on
the line to ring slightly while it is being dialed.  This is called
"bell tap", and should not happen in properly designed ringers.

Unfortunately, many manufacturers don't test for belltap anymore.

But a solution would be to find phones that are not bothered by
belltap.  I have noticed the same ringing from my 5ESS in the wee
hours, but it only happens on my one phone that is belltap sensitive.

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA  Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544        Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP

William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org (William Degnan) (10/12/90)

On <Oct 08 15:45> Matt Simpson (SYSMATT@ukcc.uky.edu ) writes:

MS>Ever since my CO cut over to an ESS (I don't know what model), I
MS>have occasionally been awakened by a brief jingle of my phone's ringer
MS>at about 6 AM. At first, I assumed it was an unwanted side-effect of
MS>their nightly testing, and just ignored it, thinking they would
MS>eventually fix the problem.

MS>...how I can prevent this ringing, or how I can persuade South Central
MS>Bell that is something they can and should fix?

This is an easy one. You opened a trouble ticket months ago. They
haven't fixed it. Send a letter to the business office outlining your
attempts to get them to stop their test on your line. Request
out-of-service credit from the date you first reported the problem.

You might consider if you wish to CC: Public Service Commission, 730
Schenkel Lane,  P.O. Box 615, Frankfort, KY 40602. 502 564-3940.

(You _are_ in Kentucky, aren't you?)

Sometimes you can get better results when you only talk _about_ the
Commission to the telco. So it might be better not to involve them
until you decide that you have run out of options.

The Commission might be kind enough to send you a copy of any
requirement that you receive out-of-service credit for unresolved
troubles.

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock.

William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com
Communications Network Solutions | !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
 -Independent Consultants        | William.Degnan@telemail.com
   in Telecommunications         | UUCP: ...!natinst!tqc!39!William.Degnan
P.O. Drawer 9530                 | ARPA: William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.FidoNet.Org
Austin, TX 78766-9530            | Voice +1 512 323 9383

[Moderator's Note: But as the next message indicates, this may not
really be a telco problem, and he may not get backing from the
Commission at all. It might be that equipment on his side of the
demarc is malfunctioning: telco has no obligation to correct that.  PAT]