[comp.dcom.telecom] Speakerphones and the Courts

jsd@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jeff Dalton) (09/27/90)

I'm guessing that a tape recording of a phone conversation cannot be
used as evidence in court unless both parties are aware they're
being recorded. But what if one end of the conversation is on a
speaker phone with witnesses listening.  I would guess that the
witness could testify about the content of the conversation and the
person on the other end of the phone wouldn't have to know someone
else is listening.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Jeff Dalton, ESL Inc.
jsd@esl.com

jgd@gatech.edu> (10/01/90)

In article <12692@accuvax.nwu.edu> Jeff Dalton <esl!bambam!jsd@ames.
arc.nasa.gov> writes:

>I'm guessing that a tape recording of a phone conversation cannot be
>used as evidence in court unless both parties are aware they're
>being recorded. But what if one end of the conversation is on a
>speaker phone with witnesses listening.  I would guess that the
>witness could testify about the content of the conversation and the
>person on the other end of the phone wouldn't have to know someone
>else is listening.

>Does anyone know anything about this?

Yes I do. *Caution*  Your mileage may vary widely by state.  My
experience is based on the laws of Tennessee and GA.

I have used tape recordings of my own phone calls in court.  According
to FCC rules, only one party to the conversation (that's me) now must
to be aware of the recording.  In other words, third party wiretapping
is still illegal but it is not illegal to record your own
conversations.

The recordings may be introduced as evidence but only under strictly
controlled conditions.  The recordings must have been made available
for discovery in the pre-trial proceedings.  It is advisable to have
written transcripts made of the important parts.  The recordings can
only be used as rebuttal evidence.  It is considered heresay (?!?)  as
direct evidence.  In other words, you CANNOT use a recording to prove
something was said.  You CAN use it to prove that the person who said
it is now lying about what he said.

Tapes are subject to all the usual rules of evidence.  The other side
will do all in its power to discredit the tapes.  It is highly
advisable to set up a recording system with this in mind - a lawyer's
adivice is highly recommended.  One of the big things you'll need to
do is to be able to prove the authenticity of the tapes and to prove
the time and dates of the recordings.  What I did was after the call
was finished and with the tape still rolling, I'd dial the local time
and temp. number and get a time stamp or for really important calls,
I'd call the National Observatory number in DC.  The DTMF would be
recorded and the charge would show up on the phone bill.

In summary, yes one can make very effective use of phone recordings
but some legal advice and planning is necessary.  I'd imagine that an
ad-hoc recording of a conversation that started to get hot probably
would not withstand the challenge to its authenticity.  And I'll
repeat again, get good legal advice in your state.  I've heard that
some states have tried to restrict your right to record.  It is my and
my attorney's opinion that federal preemption would apply but none of
us likely has enough money to prove the point.

John De Armond, WD4OQC   Radiation Systems, Inc.
Atlanta, Ga             {emory,uunet}!rsiatl!jgd

carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) (10/05/90)

arc.nasa.gov> writes:

>I'm guessing that a tape recording of a phone conversation cannot be
>used as evidence in court unless both parties are aware they're
>being recorded.

	The law in Indiana used to be (and probably still is) that you
had to have the consent of the person to whom you were talking in
order to tape him, and had to provide the periodic beep to remind him
that the tape recorder was running.

	I don't know what the law is here in Washington State; they
don't print it in the phone book like they used to in Indiana.

>But what if one end of the conversation is on a
>speaker phone with witnesses listening.  I would guess that the
>witness could testify about the content of the conversation and the
>person on the other end of the phone wouldn't have to know someone
>else is listening.

>Does anyone know anything about this?

	Only that anyone who has ever talked to a person using a
speakerphone would know immediately whether one is in use, and should
thus be warned that he is talking to the world and not just to one
person's right ear. It would be fairly easy, I'd think, to establish
that in court (though I'm not a lawyer).

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com (10/09/90)

In v10 #715, Jeff Carroll <bcsaic!carroll@beaver.cs.washington.edu>
writes:

>Only that anyone who has ever talked to a person using a
>speakerphone would know immediately whether one is in use....

Warning!  The phone on my desk, a fairly common AT&T model for System
85/ Generic 2, has a speaker, but no external microphone.  When I use
the speaker, anyone in my office can hear the conversation.  Because I
still speak into the handset, the person on the other end will not
hear the telltale speakerphone cut-in/cut-out.

I wish home speakerphones would use this arrangement, as it would
allow my wife and me to "share" calls without subjecting the other
party to that annoying speakerphone sound.

lars@spectrum.cmc.com (Lars Poulsen) (10/12/90)

In article <13219@accuvax.nwu.edu> jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com writes:

>The phone on my desk ... has a speaker, but no external microphone.
>When I use the speaker, anyone in my office can hear the conversation.
>Because I still speak into the handset, the person on the other end will
>not hear the telltale speakerphone cut-in/cut-out.

Radio Shack has a free-standing telephone amplifier that can do this.
(It has a MUTE button). We like it for that reason. I used it for a
while at the office (at my previous job) but gave up because it did
not co-exist well with our 1A2 key system.

Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM