[comp.dcom.telecom] SMDR Device for 1A2/Single Line

JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet (10/10/90)

  Thanks, to several people, for referral to the RS device (if you
made a direct message to me and havent gotten a reply, it's because my
replies bounced back with your From address).

  I hopped over the nearest RS store (across the street !) and lo and
behold, they had it as a 'managers special' (i.e. unadvertised) for
$79.99, down from $ 99.99. I checked the latest catalog and couldn't
find it listed there. Based upon some past experience with another
phone attachment (43-233, Multiline controller for 1A2 system), this
suggests it is being removed from the market and they are starting to
clear stocks. Will probably wait a while and see how far it comes down
 - the controllers got down to 25% of original price, the last time I
was able to find one anywhere.

Jeff Sicherman

stanley@fozzie.pheonix.com (John Stanley) (10/12/90)

JAJZ801@calstate.bitnet writes:

> I hopped over the nearest RS store (across the street !) and lo and
> behold, they had it as a 'managers special' (i.e. unadvertised) for
> $79.99, down from $ 99.99. I checked the latest catalog and couldn't
> find it listed there. Based upon some past experience with another
> phone attachment (43-233, Multiline controller for 1A2 system), this
> suggests it is being removed from the market and they are starting to
> clear stocks. Will probably wait a while and see how far it comes down

  If this is the device I think it is, it was removed from this area
many months ago. The story I got from the RS salesman was that this
thing has a single chip controller that is prone to die and the only
way to fix it is to replace the entire unit. I haven't seen one
lately, though I haven't been looking. He didn't have any, nor did
anybody else in the area. They were going for 50% or less.

  I also seem to remember that I first heard about this box from
TELECOM Digest, but I don't have the archives to check. It might have
been a different news group altogether.