[comp.dcom.telecom] Australian Area Code 14 or 014

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/06/90)

Very recently in this Digest was published the following number
which would be dialed from the Netherlands:  096-114-112
 ... where I am told (via the Digest) that 09 is the international
access code in the Netherlands.

I tried dialing 011-61-14112 from the U.S., and the call was
intercepted (could not be completed as dialed) before leaving the U.S.

My list of Australian area codes includes 1 for "Telecom services".
And from a little further back in this Digest, I had 0014-881-877
listed for Sprint access from within Australia.

Any clarifications on the above?

U5434122@uunet.uu.net (10/10/90)

In article <13105@accuvax.nwu.edu>, cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

> Very recently in this Digest was published the following number
> which would be dialed from the Netherlands:  096-114-112
>  ... where I am told (via the Digest) that 09 is the international
> access code in the Netherlands.

> I tried dialing 011-61-14112 from the U.S., and the call was
> intercepted (could not be completed as dialed) before leaving the U.S.

> My list of Australian area codes includes 1 for "Telecom services".
> And from a little further back in this Digest, I had 0014-881-877
> listed for Sprint access from within Australia.

In Australia:

0100  Overseas faults and difficulties
0101  Operator connected calls overseas from private phone
0102  Overseas call charge enquiries
0103  Overseas DA
0107  Op connected calls OS from payphone
0108  Op connected calls to ships at sea (DD not available, unlike UK)
011   Operator connected calls from private phone
012   LD Charge enquiries
013   Local DA
014   Recorded message saying "Number not connected"
015     "
016+6D  Telecom Australia pagers pseudo area code
0175    LD DA
0176    Operator connected calls from a payphone
018     Cellular phones pseudo area code
019     Does not give recording, but I don't know what 019x does (not listed)

0011    Voice IDD access
0012    Voice IDD with automatic ring-back of call cost
0013    Not used
0014    International toll free numbers
0015    Fax/data IDD access

0016,0017,0018,0019 not assigned as far as I know
002,003,004 are area codes in Tasmania.  ( International +61 02 +6D )
0055    kickback services like 1-900, 976-, 0898 etc
006     Not used as far as I know
007     NON CELLULAR mobile phones (possibly no longer active)
008     Toll free like 1-800, 0800 etc
009     Not used as far as I know

I hope this is clarification enough of all 00x and 01x numbers in Oz.

wd@infodn.rmi.de (Walter Doerr) (10/13/90)

In article <13105@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) wrote:

> I tried dialing 011-61-14112 from the U.S., and the call was
> intercepted (could not be completed as dialed) before leaving the U.S.

Either the phone company implemented International Sleazeball Blocking
(tm) or the call didn't go through because the number was not
complete.

I found similar numbers on the Video/Teletext pages of the German TV
station 'SAT 1', offering a dial-a-horoscope type of service.

The numbers given were 0061-14-112-xx, where xx are two digits
corresponding to your sign. xx is in the 52-75 range, but 85 is used
too.

> And from a little further back in this Digest, I had 0014-881-877
> listed for Sprint access from within Australia.

This number is dialable from Germany as 0061-14-881-887.