[comp.dcom.telecom] Proposed Anti-Slamming Regulations

davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts) (10/15/90)

carols@drilex.dri.mgh.com (Carol Springs) writes:

> ...[list of MCI proposed anti-slamming practices]...

MCI forgot:

 o If any customer claims he or she has been "slammed" and there is no
written documentation of the customer's approval of the change, the
customer's word is taken to be correct, the customer is switched back
to his original LD carrier AT THE SLAMMER'S EXPENSE, and THE CUSTOMER
IS NOT CHARGED IN ANY WAY FOR LD SERVICE FURNISHED DURING THE PERIOD
OF TIME THE SLAMMING WAS IN EFFECT.  The unsolicited service is
considered to be a free gift to the customer.

*That* would stop the practice of slamming in a hurry.  It would also
make carriers get written verification, which just goes to show the
superiority of ATT's plan.

If the mail carrier brings a Ronco Spit-o-Matic prune pitter to my
doorstep, along with a bill that says "Please remit $49.95", and I did
not order any prune pitters from Ronco, I can consider this to be a
FREE GIFT and throw the bill in the wastebasket, where it belongs.
There is no reason why an LD carrier should be considered different in
this respect. If I don't order something, I shouldn't have to pay for
it.  Period.

> Guess MCI is looking for a new reputation as consumer advocate.

With advocacy like that, who need adversaries?  Trusting MCI to come
up with a meaningful set of anti-slamming procedures is like trusting
Saddam Hussein to come up with a meaningful plan for Mideast peace.

David Barts			Pacer Corporation, Bothell, WA
davidb@pacer.uucp		...!uunet!pilchuck!pacer!davidb

bakerj@ncar.ucar.edu (Jon Baker) (10/18/90)

In article <13585@accuvax.nwu.edu>, davidb@pacer.uucp (David Barts)
writes:

>  o If any customer claims he or she has been "slammed" and there is no
> written documentation of the customer's approval of the change, the
> customer's word is taken to be correct, the customer is switched back
> to his original LD carrier AT THE SLAMMER'S EXPENSE, and THE CUSTOMER

LD carriers are currently required to obtain written permission from
the subscriber to change the LD carrier.  AT&T did NOT request that an
already-existing regulation be passed anew; they proposed that the
regulation be more strictly and universally enforced.  The alternate
carriers object to stricter enforcement, because of the alleged
difficulty in getting customers to send back the signature card.

> IS NOT CHARGED IN ANY WAY FOR LD SERVICE FURNISHED DURING THE PERIOD
> OF TIME THE SLAMMING WAS IN EFFECT.  The unsolicited service is
> considered to be a free gift to the customer.

This would be an interesting new twist, and probably justifiable based
on your Ronco Spit-o-Matic analogy.  If you didn't request the service
or product, you don't pay the bill.

JB

[Moderator's Note: Except some legal beagles contend that by lifting
the phone receiver and dialing the desired digits you were in fact
requesting or soliciting the service. By failing to dial the 10xxx
code on the front, you are requesting the service from the 'default'
carrier, which might not be the carrier you want. To insure you get
the one you want, you can always dial 10xxx. So, the legal beagles say
you can sue the carrier who wrongfully took over the default on your
line, but they in turn can sue you for not paying for the calls they
handled for you.  I guess it washes out.   PAT]

dnewman@mcc.com (David Newman) (10/21/90)

Yesterday I got a call from MCI.  He begain his solicitation, and I
interrupted to say "I have ATT, and I don't want to switch thank you."
The salesman tried to continue his spiel.  I said: "As I said, I don't
want to switch, and furthermore, I don't want to be slammed."  He
asked what slamming was (come on!), and replied that for him to change
my carrier, I would have to recieve *three* phone calls, and provide
my social security number.

A couple of questions: 1) Was he giving me the run-around?  Three
phone calls to verify the change seems quite odd.  I thought that the
net-consensus was that there would be one call-back, not two.  2) IF
he was telling the truth, why does the phone company have my SSN?
This also seems odd to me.  3) Finally, it doesn't seem too likely
that he didn't know what "slamming" was: is this term used widely as
it is here on the TELECOM Digest, or is it a bit of jargon that we
have picked up by reading the Digest?

I found it incredibly annoying that the guy just refused to take NO
for an answer.  The conversation continued beyond the portion that I
have reported, and I finally had to just hang up on the guy - he would
not end the conversation and go away.  It is interesting that they
would violate the normal "ettiquette" of telephone behavior in this
way, and yet another reason to avoid subscribing to their service, in
my (twisted and unusual) opinion.

Dave