[comp.dcom.telecom] Does AT&T Mail Exist?

0003209613@mcimail.com (Sandy Kyrish) (10/15/90)

While AT&T Mail is fully featured, etc., you would NOT necessarily
switch over to it because MCI raised its rates! The AT&T Mailbox fee
is $30.00 already, and they really zing you on message charges -- you
are charged for the creation *and* the transmission of the message.
So after about seven or eight messages, you would have made up the
$5.00 savings in up front mailbox fees.  About the only mailbox I can
think of that has no fee is the "mail" feature of CompuServe, although
there you pay for on-line time ... oh well, STILL no perfect world.

[Moderator's Note: You are correct that the subscription and per-use
prices on AT&T Mail would be no saving over the new MCI rates, but the
quality of service is important also; and generally, given my
druthers, I prefer AT&T although I have service on both. I find AT&T
Mail a little easier to work with. They also have pretty good help
documentation, and their shared folders (sort of like a public
bulletin board) are easy to use.  PAT]

alanf@gatech.edu (Daniel Alan Fleming) (10/17/90)

In article <13587@accuvax.nwu.edu> 0003209613@mcimail.com (Sandy
Kyrish) writes:

>While AT&T Mail is fully featured, etc., you would NOT necessarily
>switch over to it because MCI raised its rates! The AT&T Mailbox fee
>is $30.00 already, and they really zing you on message charges -- you
>are charged for the creation *and* the transmission of the message.

While this is probably true of the average user, there are other
options.  AT&T sells (for a pretty penny I might add) a software
series called PMXStarmail for a variety of their systems.  This is a
full screen mail program that allows you to create the mail onsite,
avoiding the creation cost.  At my previous job we had our AT&T 6386
set up as an AT&T Mail Post Office.

Another nifty piece of software (also expensive) is the MS/DOS
software ACCESS Plus.  This allows mail messages to be downloaded to
your PC from your AT&T Mail post box.  This program runs RAM resident
and can be hot keyed to.  While you are busily working up your budget
in Lotus 1-2-3 or playing the latest in Sierra Games a message will
appear stating you have mail.

We were running Windows 3.0 with eight different software packages and
never had a problem with the hot key.  It was a nice set up.  Of
course, we had to find out about the package ourself and order it
despite having a dedicated AT&T sales rep.  The quote I have heard and
come to appreciate is: "AT&T couldn't sell drugs at a Grateful Dead
concert."

Alan
{uunet}!gatech!daysinns!alanf

BRUCE@ccavax.camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (10/19/90)

In article <13587@accuvax.nwu.edu>, Sandy Kyrish <0003209613@mcimail.
com> writes:

> ...About the only mailbox I can
> think of that has no fee is the "mail" feature of CompuServe, although
> there you pay for on-line time ... oh well, STILL no perfect world.

There is about to be a way to get an Internet mail address "free", or
so it seems.

The DEC Users Society (DECUS) runs a BBS called DECUSERVE, that
currently has a $65/year fee, and is about to have a 56kb Internet
connection installed.

The interesting thing is that the Decus leadership are in the process
of lowering the $65/year to $0/year. Decus membership IS required, but
costs nothing. There are "Cannons of Conduct" that must be read and
signed.

Call DECUS @ 1.508.480.3635 (they are moving soon, this should work
for a while) for info on DECUS.

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com (10/21/90)

Kyrish) writes:

> While AT&T Mail is fully featured, etc., you would NOT necessarily
> switch over to it because MCI raised its rates! The AT&T Mailbox fee
> is $30.00 already, and they really zing you on message charges -- you
> are charged for the creation *and* the transmission of the message.

There is a charge for the creation of messages if you do it on line.
There is a very good user software package called AT&T Mail Access, on
which you can create messages, and with a single Function Key press
upload your messages and receive messages addressed to you.  The
software has many other nice features, you can create a directory, use
aliases, etc.

Herman Silbiger
hrs@attmail.com

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/21/90)

hrs1@cbnewsi.att.com writes:

> There is a charge for the creation of messages if you do it on line.
> There is a very good user software package called AT&T Mail Access, on
> which you can create messages, and with a single Function Key press
> upload your messages and receive messages addressed to you.

AT&T Mail also offers (unlike, I believe, MCI Mail) a UUCP connection
for AT&T Mail services. This means there is no on line charges
whatsoever. No special software is required. No user interaction with
AT&T Mail is required. One account shows detailed user message
accounting (all system users are identified). If there are other
systems involved with a customer, the one account can handle them as
well.

There are fifteen people who have access to my single AT&T Mail
account and sorting the charges out is no problem whatsoever. This
means that the one $30/yr fee is really $2/yr. Combine that with a
lack of any on line charges and it turns out to be pretty reasonable.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !