[comp.dcom.telecom] A Way to Avoid Telemarketers?

segal@uunet.uu.net (Gary Segal) (10/22/90)

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (Jamie Hanrahan) writes:

>I think the latter.  I was at a friend's house when they received a
>survey call.  There was some confusion because this house has two
>lines, one private and one business.  When the survey folks learned
>that they had called the business line, they didn't want to talk
>further.  In this case, they were just calling every
>randomly-generated number and asking.

Hmm ... this gives my an idea!  What if I were to answer my home phone
with "Thank you for calling, how may I help you?"  Would telemarketers
and poll takers be confused and think they called a business?  Would
they care?  Could this be an easy way to cause them to hang up first?

Has anyone else tried this?

Gary Segal	...!uunet!motcid!segal		+1-708-632-2354
Motorola INC., 1501 W. Shure Drive, Arlington Heights IL, 60004
The opinions expressed above are those of the author, and do not consititue
the opinions of Motorola INC.