[comp.dcom.telecom] Strange Answering Machine Messages

FREE0612@uiucvmd (David Lemson) (10/12/90)

People have been talking recently about strange answering machine
messages appearing mysteriously.  This reminds me of something that
has happened a lot on my parents' answering machine (a Phone-Mate
two-line model).  It hasn't happened in the past few months, I don't
really know why.

My dad's office has a voice mail system, and when you ring my father's
phone and he doesn't get it within three rings, it switches over to
the voice mail message.  Also, we have SpeedDial from the phone
company (SWBT).  (I think we have a 5ESS switch, if that makes any
difference) On Speed Dial number 2, we have my dad's work number
programmed.

Well, the strange occurence is that sometimes we'd find a message on
the answering machine consisting of a ring or so and my dad's voice
mail message.  Then, the standard "If you'd like to leave a message,
press one ..." message and the answering machine timed out on the
silence from the other end.  Pretty weird, huh?  It seems like the
answering machine picked up the phone and dialed "2", even by pulse.
But why would it do this, and why would it only happen every so often.
I know some reader of the Digest has to have heard of something like
this!  (HA!)

boomer@athena.princeton.edu (Don Alvarez) (10/13/90)

In article <13271@accuvax.nwu.edu> FREE0612@uiucvmd (David Lemson)
writes:

>the strange occurence is that sometimes we'd find a message on
>the answering machine consisting of a ring or so and my dad's voice
>mail message.  Then, the standard "If you'd like to leave a message,
>press one ..." message and the answering machine timed out on the
>silence from the other end.  Pretty weird, huh?

What's happening is: Someone (probably from your dad's office) tries
to reach him at his office.  Your dad's voice mail picks up.  The
person says "drat... maybe he's at home", and tries your dad's house.
The answering machine picks up at the house, and the caller says
"double drat."  and decides to talk to your dad tomorrow, never having
actually spoken to either machine ("drat" is a non-verbal expression).

Why do you get the weird recordings?  The person calling your dad has
a phone system which supports call forwarding.  Call forwarding on
this system is activated by calling a number, "flashing" the switch
hook (ie hanging up briefly), calling a second number, and either
"flashing" the hook a second time for three-way calling or hanging up
permanently to perform a call transfer.

The person making the calls obviously doesn't understand how their
phone works, and is unknowingly transferring calls right and left (and
probably doing accidental threeway calls on a regular basis as well).

don alvarez

ckp@cup.portal.com (10/14/90)

On the subject of peculiar responses by telephones and voice-mail
services, I have an ongoing situation with my office audix mailbox and
my home phone.

Whenever I call into my audix from home to check messages, it calls me
back after I hang up.  Never says a thing - dead air - but the phone
will ring (you can bet on it) as soon as I hang up the receiver.

*WHAT* makes this happen?

Christine K. Paustian        ckp@cup.portal.com
Los Numeros On-Line          sun!portal!cup.portal.com!ckp
PO Box 149                   1:272/39  FidoNet
Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510   Where Radio Is Fun Again

del47618@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David E Lemson) (10/15/90)

ckp@cup.portal.com writes:

>Whenever I call into my audix from home to check messages, it calls me
>back after I hang up.  Never says a thing - dead air - but the phone
>will ring (you can bet on it) as soon as I hang up the receiver.

>*WHAT* makes this happen?

Funny you should talk about this.  We have this problem, too.  That
same voice mail system that has left funny messages on our home
answering machine almost ALWAYS causes the phone to ring right after
you hang up on it, but only when checking messages.

But, it doesn't always happen, and I suspect the ringback has to do
with the fact that we have three-way calling, and that's what's causing
it.  I don't know.  It's really weird.

David Lemson, UIUC d-lemson@uiuc.edu

William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.fidonet.org (William Degnan) (10/15/90)

On <Oct 11 20:28> David Lemson (FREE0612@uiucvmd ) writes:

DL>...we'd find a message
DL>on the answering machine consisting of a ring or so and my dad's
DL>voice mail message.  Then, the standard "If you'd like to leave a
DL>message, press one ..." message and the answering machine timed out on the

DL>silence from the other end.  Pretty weird, huh?

How about the possibility that your dad called home, hit your
answering machine, flashed for new dial tone and made another call.
The switch at your dad's office tried to ring the held call back to
him, saw that his phone was in use and sent it to his voice mail.

"Have your machine call my machine...we'll do lunch."

Disclaimer: Contents do not constitute "advice" unless we are on the clock.
William Degnan                   | wdegnan@mcimail.com
Communications Network Solutions | !wdegnan@at&tmail.com
 -Independent Consultants        | William.Degnan@telemail.com
   in Telecommunications         | UUCP: ...!natinst!tqc!39!William.Degnan
P.O. Drawer 9530                 | ARPA: William.Degnan@f39.n382.z1.FidoNet.Org
Austin, TX 78766-9530            | Voice +1 512 323 9383

boomer@athena.princeton.edu (Don Alvarez) (10/15/90)

In article <13541@accuvax.nwu.edu> (David E Lemson) writes that they
have also had problems with their voice mail ringing them back when
they call in to check messages.

He points out that this doesn't happen all the time.

If your system is anything like the one we had at MIT, then the
problem is that you are hanging up too quickly.  The machine is
probably programmed (for better or for worse) to call you back and
continue the call if the connection is 'accidentally' disconnected.  I
suspect that there is some point in the mail-check process before
which hanging up will cause a ring-back and after which it will not.

don alvarez

jpederse@encad.wichita.ncr.com (John.Pedersen) (10/24/90)

del47618@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David E Lemson) writes:

>ckp@cup.portal.com writes:

>>Whenever I call into my audix from home to check messages, it calls me
>>back after I hang up.  Never says a thing - dead air - but the phone
>>will ring (you can bet on it) as soon as I hang up the receiver.

>Funny you should talk about this.  We have this problem, too.  That

I get it too when my wife calls from Boeing (their building is not on
the Boeing campus thus not supplied service directly from the BTN
(Boeing Telephone Network)) and gets our Audix off of our Sys 85. She
decides not to leave me a message and hangs up. A few seconds later her
phone rings and she hears nothing. I get an Audix message of her
answering the phone.

Now there is a powerful Audix feature: if you don't leave a message it
calls you back and forces you to talk to it!

John Pedersen		N5DKQ		NCR Peripheral Products Division
Engineering Computer Systems Support 	3718 N. Rock Road
John.Pedersen@Wichita.NCR.Com		Wichita KS 67226-1397
316-636-8837	VPlus 654-8837		FAX 316-636-8889